Coach K copying Coach Cal (for the 100th time)

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski is a copycat coach. He’s copied Coach Cal for years.

So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that Coach K convinced one of his Class of 2019 commits, Joey Baker, to reclassify and join next year’s team.

The five-star prospect announced Wednesday that he will graduate high school a year early and enter college next fall. Baker’s move will (likely) cement Duke’s place atop the 2018 class rankings. Good for them. It also cements the fact that Coach K follows Calipari’s every move like a little puppy dog and then does whatever he is doing. Coach Cal has gone after several 2019 prospects and pitched them to reclassify, and it appears K is doing the same. (Shocker.)

Here’s the odd part: Baker is a 6-foot-7 forward who plays out on the perimeter. Duke already has too many at that position with incoming five-stars RJ Barrett, Cameron Reddish and Zion Williamson, so Baker must be eager to try out Duke’s bench chairs. I guess he’s been talking to Marques Bolden about them.

Whatever, though. We’ll see them in November in Indianapolis, where Coach K will probably request the hotel room right next to Calipari’s.

Has Coach K tweeted about Dunkin’ Donuts yet?

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Coach K copying Coach Cal (for the 100th time)

1. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    11:24 am May 3, 2018 Permalink

Derryk Thornton 2.0, makes kid reclassify up only to see him transfer

2. nybrasky
    11:25 am May 3, 2018 Permalink

Hope it works out better than it did for Derryck Thornton (not really, I don’t actually care).

3. symphonist41169
    11:26 am May 3, 2018 Permalink

As much as I can’t stand Coach Nosferatu and agree 100% that he unabashedly copies Cal all the time, I have to be objective and ask why it’s “odd” that he’s asking a 6’7″ forward to re-classify considering all the forwards he already has signed? Isn’t Cal doing the same thing with guards?

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:34 am May 3, 2018 Permalink

Put UK’s guards and Duke’s forwards together and they would make the three best teams in America next year.

• Trevor
      12:08 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

On the surface it looks the same but I seriously don’t expect all of them to reclassify. If I had to guess, I’d say only Ashton will reclassify. We’ll see though. 🙂

4. Alleykat16
    11:42 am May 3, 2018 Permalink

As in all sports its a copy cat, when your able to be successful at a high rate others are going to follow like like ducks in a row. I see him doing the platoon with the team he has next year. So that will even be more copying going on. Next he’ll recruit a bunch of guards and playing small lineups. I’ve noticed Cal likes his guards. I can see 4 guards and a big alot this,coming year

5. Wade
    11:56 am May 3, 2018 Permalink

Taught that old dog new tricks

6. sardiscat
    12:07 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

To be fair, this is an area where Cal is copying K. K did Derek Thornton and Marvin Bagley first.

7. krautdog
    12:11 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Whatever works!!!

• Fitz
      3:33 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Very good observations ….no reason to knock K on this situation. Be patient, there will be others.

• Wcatfan727
      5:39 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

There is always a reason to knock Cryshitski

8. looking4number8
    12:22 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Although I love to hate on Duke, don’t get this post.

1) Reclassifying did not start this year. UK and Duke have both done this already. Noel did it. Thornton and Bagley did it. Murray kind of did it, weird Canada education…

2) Baker is a shooter. There are two knocks on Duke’s upcoming team. 1) Not a great shooting team. The 2nd is depth. They are losing 5 starters and a transfer. They only had 4 guys coming in. Now their depth isn’t that big of a concern.

3) Cal is trying to do something similar with the guards. So hating on them for having a bunch of forwards is weird. You are basically making fun of Cal as well. You can play 3 forwards at a time if you want.

• nadroj
      1:03 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, what he said. (I don’t know why we pay so much attention to Duke. They don’t care about us.)

• BlueDeuce
      1:24 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Because you pay attention to those you envy.

9. plumloopy
    2:11 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Also, I think the idea that the “coach gets them to reclassify” sounds pretty seedy. IT’s a better narrative that the kid/family makes the decision that’s best for them. Also, I assume it has to be prepared for some time in advance by taking extra/certain classes?

10. KYFAN4LYFE
    2:32 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Maybe the kid just wants the chance to play on a “superteam”, and win a NC?

11. chrisg18
    2:59 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

Reclassifying didn’t start this year and it didn’t start with Cal, so I don’t really go along with the point being made here. Duke has done it in the past. Nothing to see here.

12. Fitz
    3:34 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

7.1 comment intended for 8

13. kjd
    4:25 pm May 3, 2018 Permalink

So it’s ridiculous for Coach K to have 4 players for one position, but it’s incredible genius if Coach Cal brings in 4 point guards. SMH

14. Alleykat16
    9:48 am May 4, 2018 Permalink

This site always watching U6 and dook. One loves their players and one went to dook for his education. So there’s the reason

15. rabblerabblerabble
    1:46 pm May 4, 2018 Permalink

I recognize this post is a day old, but I’m just now seeing the foolishness.

I know, most ridiculous manner possible, facts are optional, etc., but c’mon guys. Did you know that Andre Dawkins reclassified to play at Duke in…..2009. So has it been Cal copying K for all these years? The argument is just as terrible.