Coach K came on Calipari’s podcast and defended DeMarcus Cousins

Over the past few years, a behind-the-scenes rivalry has budded between John Calipari and Mike Krzyzewski, but Calipari being Calipari, he took the opportunity to embrace his foe by inviting him on the latest episode of his podcast. That’s right, for the second episode of “Cal Cast,” Calipari invited Coach K on to discuss all sorts of stuff, including DeMarcus Cousins, who played on Team USA this past summer. The podcast won’t drop until tomorrow, but ESPN has a sneak peak, including Coach K praising Cousins, who continued to fight to make Team USA despite those who said he wasn’t worthy.

“For him to come back and still want it, it said a lot about how much he wanted to do it,” Krzyzewski told Calipari. “He came through for us big time. He’s tough as hell. He is so damn talented. I don’t think he has a position. You can’t call him a 5 or a 4. Just call him a great player.”

Apparently the one topic Coach K and Cal do not discuss is recruiting, which makes sense given their battles over the years, but they do heap lots of praise on each other, the ultimate example of real recognizing real.

“What you’ve done for the game is incredible,” Calipari said. “What you’ve done for your school is incredible, for the country, for coaches. I love what you’ve done for your players and your staff.”

Check out more quotes via Andy Katz on ESPN. I can’t wait to listen to the entire thing tomorrow.

7 Comments for Coach K came on Calipari’s podcast and defended DeMarcus Cousins

1. a21CATSfan
    10:30 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Whaaaaaa!?!?

2. runningunnin.454
    11:56 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I need some of that egg nog Cal is drinking.

3. Megan
    12:46 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Good for Cal. Although I occasionally despise Coach Krzyzewski, mostly I respect him. I’ll never forget how gracious he was to us after the ’92 game. He found Cawood and made a point of speaking to us. He didn’t have to show empathy and support, but he did.

• Saul T. Nuts
      2:12 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Megan is 100% right. For Coach K to stop celebrating with his team and sit down with Cawood to console the UK fan base was the most amazing act of graciousness that I’ve ever seen in sports. I hate Duke, but I have great respect for Coach K (even though he does look like a rat).

• RealCatsFan
      3:29 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

I will grudgingly agree – K is not pure evil. Well, for the most part. 😉 But I still think he is a vampire. And I want him to retire. 😀

4. henderblue
    1:37 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

Megan you are exactly right.. Lots of the younger people may not know that about Coach K. I remember it very well. And he deserves respect for that. He sought out Cawood. Not the other way around

5. BourbonNBasketball
    9:02 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

While I was born in the (late) 80’s I don’t have any recollection of Coach K’s sportsmanship after the ’92 game. I’d love to hear what went down, because I’ve never been a huge fan.. Thanks!