Coach Cal: “We were just scratching to stay in the game”

USATSI_8483651_154849602_lowres

Andrew Weber-USA Today

Kentucky trailed for a 12-minute stretch late in the game before Aaron Harrison — OF COURSE IT WAS AARON HARRISON — gave UK a lead with three minutes to go. The two sides went back and forth from there until the Cats escaped with the close, and nerve-racking, victory.

After the game, Coach Cal had this to say about his players’ will to win:

I’m really proud of the guys. All we did, we were just scratching to stay in the game. I don’t know if our breakdowns, until I watch the tape, were us or Notre Dame being that good offensively. And I’ll tell you the thing on the side pick and roll and the empty side pick and roll, that’s on me as a coach. We never figured it out, we tried doing some different things and they just kept scoring on that, and Mike did what he should have, just kept going back at it. It was nice to see Aaron do what Aaron does, just a huge 3. It was great to see Andrew play an okay game, but make the plays down the stretch. It was great to see in the second half, us able to throw at Karl Towns, and they either were scoring or you got to leave somebody. And then Tyler makes that 3 in the corner. But we were just fighting to stay in the game, to be honest with you, and it was nice to see how it finished for these kids.

Be honest: you thought Kentucky was going to lose. Don’t lie. We’re all friends here. You doubted the Cats. You thought this was going to be the end.

You were wrong, thankfully.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Coach Cal: “We were just scratching to stay in the game”

1. plumloopy
    12:33 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, down 6 with 5 to go – the way ND was playing I started thinking about a potential mourning period coming up. Would my wife leave me? Would I lose my job?

• Rixter
      1:40 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

If you acted as poorly as I did tonight, our wives really should leave us.

• Leuther
      2:45 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

My lowest points in the 2nd half were:
      1) When Andrew passed up an opportunity to feed Towns in the low post and instead drove baseline and inexplicably stepped out of bounds.
      2) After Aaron’s NBA 3 puts us up, Grant comes back and hits a 3 with 1 second left on the shot clock to put ND back up.

2. joe.eskridge
    12:44 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

So… how did that happen? And what the heck do we do against Wisconsin? I am concerned…

• Leuther
      2:55 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

What happened was that we didn’t play our customary tight, team defense. Most everybody got beat once or twice on back door layups, and our pick and roll defense was poor. The strategy of telling Towns to try and block every shot gave Zach Auguste at least 4 follow-up dunks and made him look way better that he is.

Fortunately, Cauley Stein played excellent smothering defense on ND’s last possession to salvage the win.

We’re still going 40 – 0. Book it…

3. sammydog
    1:38 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

The 1st play of the game I thought WOW. We are into it. Downhill from there. Notre Dame just flat outplayed us until the last 3 minutes. Except for CAT, no one played particularly well and ND was outstanding. Then AH hit that three and the Phoenix rose from the ashes. Yes at one point I thought we were going down. The team just wasn’t into it for most of the game. Don’t have a clue why. Hope this was our bad game.

4. Rixter
    1:39 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

Great shot of Cal, Andrew, and Moammar Gadhafi

5. WillySpankit
    1:40 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

If you really thought they’d lose for sure, you probably missed a lot of the other close games this season, or you just have a short memory. Honest to God, it was close enough that I never thought they’d lose. I got nervous, but at no point did it seem out of reach, especially since we’ve seen this kind of game before. Granted, Notre Dame is way better than Georgia.

6. kencats05
    4:50 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

My question is what is the deal with Cals pressers? What keeps them from being posted here or on coach cal.com? Where can I find the post nd presser?

7. Ken Grizzle
    9:09 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

It was great to see us overcome a great game effort by “America’s Team” a futile attempt by “America’s Officials” to stop the streak. Andrew’s stepping on the base line was because of a foul on Auguste(one of many he got by with) ask CAT. GO CATS and up yours Chris Webber and Lenny Elmore.

• satcheluk
      12:35 pm March 30, 2015 Permalink

The officiating was the best so far. Quit whining when we win. You sound like a ND fan.

8. Sublem
    11:56 am March 29, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t thought they were going to do, but I did though they could lose the game. All season, I never thought they could lose the game during the game. This was the only game.