Coach Cal says it again: the goal was to have eight players drafted

calipari

John Calipari made headlines yesterday when he said the team’s goal last season was to have eight players drafted. Not surprisingly, many Kentucky basketball fans went bonkers over the comment, without understanding Cal’s point.

Today, he hopped on Twitter to further explain what he meant, and to reiterate that last season’s goal was to have eight players drafted, maybe nine:

I hate to drive you traditionalists crazy, but I’ll say it again: our goal at the beginning of the season was to have eight players drafted. I’ll be honest with you, at the time I may have said nine. My point when I said that was to have them all eat. When they asked how we do it, I told them to do this you will have to be a selfless team, share and do historic things on the court. They did. If Alex doesn’t get hurt, eight are drafted. We fell short of a national title but this season was not disappointing to me. Have a great day!

So there ya go. Have a great day!

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Coach Cal says it again: the goal was to have eight players drafted

1. UKfaninLou
    1:56 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m not going to argue with the guy who has had my team in The Final Four four years out of the last five. I do cringe when he says this stuff because I know what’s coming from the haters.

2. American Errorist
    2:10 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s hilarious but the guy has always got to be fighting or arguing with someone

3. inside info2
    2:17 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

His ego is ridiculous. He can’t admit that he terribly wanted to go undefeated and win a title this year? Of course he was disappointed!

I know he is trying to push his “Players First” mantra for recruiting purposes. I get it. But stop $h!tt!ng on the fanbase in doing so. I think the large majority of fans were disappointed this year. If Coach Cal couldn’t win a title this year with the talent he assembled, what will it take? Frankly it reflects poorly on his in-game coaching ability.

All that being said, I’m glad he is here and hope he stays for many more years.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:16 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

“He can’t admit that he terribly wanted to go undefeated and win a title this year? Of course he was disappointed!”

Of course he did – but what makes it funny is that a decent-sized portion of our fanbase still doesn’t understand that. They take shit too literally.

Does anyone remember his quote after the season ended that he made to Ulis? “Get your guys together and let’s make another run at this” (40-0, which mathematically, also means winning a title). Our fans need to relax – its overreactions like this that will push him out the door so he doesn’t have to deal with this nonsense anymore.

• inside info2
      3:36 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Did you read the quote in the post? He says “this season was not disappointing to me”. You underestimate Cal’s ego. All coaches have them, but his is up there pretty high. He is covering himself. He should be taking a lot more heat than he has been for the bad coaching he displayed in the Wisconsin game. Not to mention not being able to motivate WCS into actually playing while he was on the floor.

I’m not overreacting. I understand that he is marketing. However I think it is disrespectful to the fans when he makes these statements. And I think there is a part of him that likes antagonizes what he sees as the unreasonable fans. I would say he classifies a much larger percentage of fans as unreasonable than most people would.

• J-Dub421
      3:47 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

He also said “We fell short of a national title.”

• inside info2
      4:06 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

*likes to antagonize

• satcheluk
      12:14 pm May 22, 2015 Permalink

Anyone who thinks he is $hitting on the fanbase or being disrespectful needs to check their own ego. Give me a break.

4. Time Expired
    2:31 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Last season was the most stressful I have ever watched. I enjoyed the Josh Harrelson run at the final four much more than this year. To see a team with more talent than ever has been seen in college and struggle game after game is just too much. Will never be caught up like that again.

5. MikeUKFan
    2:37 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

I am glad Cal is our coach and want him to stay forever. However I am a UK fan not an NBA fan. I want our players to realize their dreams while hanging banners. Both go hand in hand. Just say our goal every year is to win Championships and see the players fed.

6. leshearer
    3:09 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

I am a Cal fan. But, before Cal, was the University of Kentucky, and BBN. They made it possible for Cal to have the greatest platform in the country, and for the players to have access to all of the laurels that come with the UK Tradition. Yes, we want players going to the NBA. We also want them graduating, excelling educationally and athletically. Cal has, at the least and I would say more of, an obligation to UK, and then the players. UK, it’s students, fan base and KY Taxpayers make it possible for Cal to accomplish all he does. That being said, Call owes it to all to bring home the SEC and National Championships – first. Everything about the program right now is excelling, with the exception of winning at the level he was hired to do. UK is not a D-League Team for the NBA. Personally, I think this Mantra gives Cal an excuse for not winning the Title, or minimizes it for certain. I’m BBN through and through. Just remember, no UK, No Cal – No NBA Platform – No $8M Per Year.

• CatsfaninFL
      3:26 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

See the problem with people like you is that you cannot seem to understand he is pushing an agenda. You honestly think Cal doesn’t want to win titles? The man is one of the most competitive people out there. He says what he says for recruits and recruits only.

• theSkinny81
      3:28 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

“Naw, man – he dont care notta one bit about the dag-on Univers-tee!” (*spits tobaccey*) “Ey took ‘err JAWBS!!”

• leshearer
      6:00 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

CatsfaninFL: I get the agenda, and totally understand. That doesn’t preclude Cal from promoting both agendas. They are excellent to leverage mutually. I absolutely believe Cal wants to win titles. I just think that should not be precluded from any agenda.

7. RandyB
    3:14 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Cal is a unique blend of Bleeding-Heart Liberal and Machiavellian B-S artist.
    He’s willing to piss off the whole Big Blue Nation in order to position himself
    as Saint John, the Players First patron saint of 5-Stars everywhere and the uplifter
    of intercity families across the nation. It just happens that adopting that persona
    helps him sign mega-talents for UK and make him mega-bucks. I’m OK with him being
    a player’s coach, but filling NBA line-ups should not be his mission statement.
    The NBA does not pay his salary. The people of Kentucky do.
    That said, I hope he stays as long as he wants. Just cut the B-S a bit.

8. mikeintn
    3:19 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

I’ve got a good idea Cal! how about making it a goal this year to win a championship.

9. pikapp210
    3:20 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Until now i have always been a Cal fan, but not after this comment. He is paid to win championships, he represents the University. He does not run an NBA training camp I don’t care what kind of talent he is bringing in. How much of a bonus does he get for 8 players being drafted? He is paid to develop players to win championships. Most of the players he recruits could make it to the NBA with or without him. Great players will get drafted win or loose, Good players that win championships can also get drafted.

Ask yourself this, would you rather 8 players get drafted every year and never win another championship or win a championship and never have another player drafted? Cal should be focused on winning what he’s paid for instead of padding his number of players in the NBA

10. J-Dub421
    3:21 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Anyone who wants to b*tch about Coach Cal needs to think back and remember the Billy G. years. That is all.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:32 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

How quickly they forget….

Cal will leave one day, and we’ll be ecstatic to get a top 15 recruiting class every 2-3 years, and hoping we don’t get knocked out before the Elite Eight.

And these same fans will bitch.

• cats paw
      3:42 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Anyone who wishes to bring up past coaches can also mention Pitino! He has won more titles with 1/10th the talent of Cal. The MAJORITY of this same fanbase didn’t want Cal here (including uncle Matt) when Billy G. was hired!!!

• theWilkman
      3:48 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

cats paw – no, Pitino’s first of 2 titles came with a team that had 9 players go to the NBA. Wrong again, as usual.

• J-Dub421
      3:51 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

This same fan base ran off Tubby, who DID win a national title.

Pitino won the same amount of titles at UK that Coach Cal has. Cal won his in 3 years and it took Rick 9, and they both had to do a massive rebuild. Pitino had plenty of talent when he was at UK, 9 players were drafted from his 1996-1997 teams. Don’t give me that 1/10th of the talent crap.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:03 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

You forgot, since Pitino’s been at UofLoL, it took him 13 YEARS, a few first round losses, some NIT appearances and a down season to get a title – Cal has had UK in the hunt pretty much every year he’s been here.

11. Laker Cat 18
    3:33 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

At the end of the day, Coach Cal ALWAYS has us in position to make some noise in March. With the randomness and luck involved with the tournament, that’s really all I can hope for. The best team each year very seldom wins the title. His comment is definitely a recruiting tool. Recruits from California, Florida, Texas don’t care about the tradition at UK. Our homegrown Kentucky boys do, but the outsiders don’t. They care about getting to the league. I’m not going to be too hard on him. Those of us that are in the coaching game at any level understand his technique.

12. theWilkman
    3:45 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

Some of you people are so unbelievably dense.

13. Angelo
    5:04 pm May 21, 2015 Permalink

All I want is a championship next year. I was at the last game we lost. I saw Cal walk back into the locker room. I have never seen a sadder or more dejected human being in my 60 years of life.

• UK Big Board Update