Coach Cal Responds To Scout’s Comments

“You mean I’ve gotta spend my Christmas Eve Eve talking to these guys?”
Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 5.48.35 PM

Coach Calipari responded to one scout’s report on Tyler Ulis, Jamal Murray, and Skal Labissiere. The scout praised Ulis and Murray, but had harsh words for Skal. Coach Cal responded to the criticism as only he could.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Every one of my players is on their own timetable. Kids grow at their own pace & shouldn’t be judged by anyone else’s timetable. We’re here to serve these kids & help them reach their dreams. Ultimately they’ve got to do it, but if anyone wants to attack one of my kids personally, they won’t be welcomed here. Evaluating guys is one thing, personal attacks are another. These are young kids and they deserve better.” – Cal in a series of tweets.

The original story with quotes from Adam Zagoria’s report can be found here.

Article written by Trey Huntsman

The KSR Baseball guy. Follow me on Twitter @TreyHuntsmanSEC.

42 Comments for Coach Cal Responds To Scout’s Comments

1. david8577
    3:04 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Cal is right. Skal isn’t failing anyone; he is who he is. It isn’t his fault the “experts” evaluated him to be something he is not. Same thing happened to the twins. Skal, much like the twins, will end up in a better place than most all of his critics. Give him some time.

• mobile2
      3:46 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

I would disagree a little on the “it isn’t his fault the experts evaluated him”…Skal and his handlers went along with the whole charade. And to an extent I don’t blame Skal himself at all. But he’s in over his head and that’s clear.

• ClutchCargo
      4:44 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

I love how some d-bag “fans” throw around words like fraud and charade in reference to Skal. Cal decided Skal was worth offering and Skal accepted. What’s he supposed to do, turn down a free ride to UK? Some people just need to get a life.

• mobile2
      5:30 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Alright then…Cal got hustled. Skal is not the player that was advertised. As long as he doesn’t take up valuable PT from contributing players then I’m good.

And no he’s not supposed to turn down a free ride. Simmer down.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:34 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

^^ This dude is an idiot….. wow.

• The Rest of the story
      5:43 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Why is he an idiot Big? He has every right to his opinion. You never give one you just roam around on here looking for someone to criticize if it against what you believe. You are a coward hiding behind others words afraid to post any of your own,

• BigBlueBoom
      6:24 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

He’s an idiot bc he is claiming there was fraud or that Cal got hustled. That’s ignorant, no way around it. Cal didn’t offer him a scholarship based on mix tapes, moron. Cal watched him play. Cal evaluated him. Cal didn’t go into this blindly, he did his homework. To suggest otherwise is laughable. I truly can’t stop laughing at the stupidity.

• david8577
      6:26 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

mobile2, “Cal got hustled”. Let me give you a little advice about how life works. When you are 19 years old and just finishing your first semester in college, the story of your life isn’t yet finished. You don’t deserve the “fraud” label because you didn’t meet someone else’s expectations.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:43 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Everyone has a right to his own opinion – you said so yourself – and I gave mine. Problem?

But sense that probably makes too much sense for you to understand, I’ll spell it out for those dense individuals. This dude thinks that Skal was “incorrectly advertised by his handlers”, whatever in the hell that means. That somehow, Cal was “swindled” or “hustled”, to use this idiots own words. That our own HOF coach does not have the mental capacities to evaluate talent on his own…..

This kid played in top 100 camps and all over the AAU circuit and was ranked nationally by ESPN, Scout, 24/7 and Bleacher Report. Those people who ranked him get paid to do that exact job which is evaluate high school talent and position them accordingly. I’ll trust their evaluation over some dipshit (mobile2) on a KSR comment board who has a long history of being negative about everything.

The other part of it that pisses me off, is said dipshit (mobile2) writes his comments in a way that give the impression that Skal is a failure, 12 games into a potentially 40-game season. You see, this young man who has had life throw some pretty hard punches at him. He has been rescued from those punches up till now. Cal is now teaching him how to fight and overcome. And for the most part, the majority of BBN has this kids back – its redneck dipshits (mobile2, among others) that feel the need to crush this kid because he’s not entertaining enough to you yet. We saw it with the Harrison Twins as well, and it was totally uncalled for. Am I frustrated with his play? Well, gee, no shit. But I’m going to continue to support this kid, and find the good in the fact that though he may not be a one-and-done (that so many negative asshats on here wish Cal didn’t recruit so many of) and turn into a great 3-4 year player, who helps contribute as best as he can toward more titles…

You’ll find no bigger UK fan than me, and I’m tired of seeing this website turn into a bathroom wall for trolls, impostor Tard fans (cats paw) and negative haters to spew their vitriol. I remember when the comments on this site, back in the day, was one of the reasons I loved KSR so much; the intelligent insight, reasonable debates, and funny comments made by regular posters. You don’t see the likes of J-Dub420, Wilkman, ukjaybrat, etc, post here much anymore, because they get bombarded by fools (mobile2, rest of story), so therefore its not worth it. So, I’m tired of it, and I’m calling people out when I see it.

I don’t care who it offends. Surely as a good backwoods Republican, you can agree with that?

CATS

• UK Big Board Update
      6:45 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

*since. Dammit.

• onsides
      6:57 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

If big board didn’t post his hateful, name calling nonsense, the comment section would improve automatically. KSR doesn’t need any posters and the radio show doesn’t read the comments at all apparently. Who cares?

• UK Big Board Update
      7:01 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

^ Brilliant.

Jesus Christ…….

• onsides
      7:12 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Thanks. Could you maybe quit cussing and being blasphemous? There’s kids reading this I’m sure. Maybe quit inserting politics into sports stories? Thanks! You’re not part of the athletics program and have nothing to do with UK. You’re irrelevant. Go ahead and have your tantrum. I’m done acknowledging you.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:14 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

LOL!!!!

• UK Big Board Update
      7:16 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

I don’t care who it offends. Thanks for reading. 😉

2. UK Big Board Update
    3:16 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

“…but if anyone wants to attack one of my kids personally, they won’t be welcomed here. Evaluating guys is one thing, personal attacks are another.”

I wish this could be applied to some of our “fans”, especially the comment section tough guys we have around here.

• The Rest of the story
      5:45 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Again Big is like Isis wanting only what he believes respecting no one else for their opinion. Move along troll.

• theSkinny81
      6:02 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Kind of like Donald Trump, Rest of the Story?

3. UKBlue1
    4:42 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

To be fair there is a thin line between 100% truthful on an evaluation & attacking a kid. Cal is doing his job trying to protect his kid & the scout doing his job. Going off what NBA scouts look at or look for in a future selection & lets face it what the vast majority of fans & everyone else in college BB sees this scout is 100% right on the money. Yes kids develop on their own time table, but if Cal goal is to make these kids 1 & done Cal & the scouts/NBA are both on the same time table. What’s Cal always say the NBA stands for No Boys Allowed, well. To also be fair, the scout assessment of the UL players are also true. Skal is a project who at best needs probably at least 3 years in college.

• Catlanta Fan
      9:55 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Agree, I’m thinking he’s a 4 year player based on what I’m seeing but who knows, maybe he’ll turn things around.

4. RC
    4:48 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Can’t have it both ways Cal. Can’t give NBA scouts nearly unfettered access then be offended when one is overly critical. The truth hurts, but it’s still the truth. Best for Cal, Skal & UK to start hearing the truth sooner than later from NBA people.
    Reminds me of the stance Cal took with a Ref early this year when Murray pitched a fit & got a T. Cal said if the ref was wrong he wouldn’t work another UK game again. Turns out Murray is a hot head who’s lost his cool a couple of times since.
    Maybe the problem is the players instead of the messanger?

5. GTx2
    4:51 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

I like Skal off the bench. It just seems that anything we get from Skal is a bonus at this point if the huge expectations from the preseason are tempered. He’s just objectively not what he was advertised as, as a recruit.

6. scwhite9
    5:15 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

I am not sure the scouts are supposed to comment at all. If so, the scout wouldn’t have to comment anonymously. Skal will improve. Leave him alone.

7. beaudiddy
    5:21 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

WCS was a joke his freshman year……

• Catlanta Fan
      9:56 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

WCS wasn’t as nearly as hyped as Skal was coming in so I don’t think anyone considered him to be a joke. I get what you’re saying though

8. The Rest of the story
    5:55 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

I do not believe anyone thinks Skal will never be great just that it will not happen this year. The guy is a project and will take several years to get where he needs to be. It is totally up to him tho since he seems to have little will to do what he needs now. I do not care how big a fan you say you are but how can you deny that he has little to contribute to the game right now. The team flow is much better when he is not on the floor as he just gets lost it seems.

9. LeeAnn
    6:19 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

A Holy man was having a conversation with the Lord one day and said, ‘Lord, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.’

The Lord led the holy man to two doors. He opened one of the doors and the holy man looked in. n the middle of the room was a large round table. In the middle of the table was a large pot of stew,which smelled delicious and made the holy man’s mouth water.

The people sitting around the table were thin and sickly. They appeared to be famished. They were holding spoons with very long handles that were strapped to their arms and each found it possible to reach into the pot of stew and take a spoonful. But because the handle was longer than their arms, they could not get the spoons back into their mouths.

The holy man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering.The Lord said, ‘You have seen Hell. They went to the next room and opened the door. It was exactly the same as the first one.There was the large round table with the large pot of stew which made the holy man’s mouth water.The people were equipped with the same long-handled spoons, but here the people were well nourished and plump, laughing and talking.

The holy man said, ‘I don’t understand.

‘It is simple,’ said the Lord. ‘It requires but one skill…

You see, they have learned to feed each other.

The greedy think only of themselves.’

I am happy to see Cal continue to take up for Skal.

The way Kentucky fans are coming down on Skal may be harder on him than when the earthquake brought his home down upon him. Back off and give the young man some time to develop!
    My husband’s jersey is hanging in Rupp’s rafters and after almost 60 years he still holds some records.
    However no 4 year university wanted him out of high school (tall, but too thin and not strong enough – sound familiar?) so he first went to a junior college – Rupp’s first JUCO!
    Maybe Skal will develop into what everyone thought he already was, maybe he won’t. But let’s give him a chance without crushing his spirit.
    And yes, I am still a huge Cat fan; even at our age we drive 4 hours to see each home game!

• Jud
      8:41 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

10. mrbluekat
    6:25 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

In Cal we trust. We can objectively say there is no better judge of talent, current or potential, than he. If he vouches for him I’m good.

11. LeeAnn
    6:28 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

WELL, I MADE AN ERROR! I had copied something I was going to send to my Sunday School class and it ended up at the beginning of my comment on Skal. I am sorry and please feel to skip to the UK part at the end! Mark it up to a senior moment but maybe take both to heart! I will take all the heat for my mistake but Skal does need to be given time “instead of heat”!

12. LCcat84
    6:43 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Skal is a very talented and gifted young man. It is absolutely ridiculous how many of you expect every heralded freshmen that comes to Kentucky to be a stud from basically day one. I look at Skal and see a raw but exceptional talent with a very high ceiling. I’m sure many NBA scouts see the same thing. He is less than a third of the way through his freshmen season. He didn’t get the luxury of playing against top tier talent like many of the other highly rated college freshmen big men did in high school frequently. He needs time, but the skill set is there. Let him figure out how to use his body and add some strength and then his skill set (that 90% of college big men do not have) will allow him to succeed at a high level. It is gonna take time though. Until then enjoy the ride.

13. gottodoit
    6:56 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Some people do grow up (maybe not on this site, but generally speaking).

Skal will too – if the NBA is his goal then he will come to realize what it takes to get there.

Coach Cal is trying to explain that to him.

This is the first real basketball challenge in Skal’s life (he’s had personal challenges no one should go through).

It’s true he doesn’t understand the game. But once (if) he does, he will be a first-round selection. Even if it doesn’t happen, I say, ‘Thank you, Skal’ for choosing Kentucky.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:02 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Well said.

14. KatsKlaws
    9:25 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Most of the commentors are saying Skal is a multi year project…I agree with you 100 % on that…the problem is Skal is not going to be at UK multiple years….HE IS GOING PRO. He has just about 6 months to get it together…I think you are delusional to think he is going to be at UK 2 years let alone 3 or 4. This is why fans are saying they were duped. I don’t think any thought he was comparable to Ben Simmons but I think we thought he could compete with him. So, I definitely see why some fans are salty ….I am one of them.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:33 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

Hang in there, kiddo. Everything’s gonna be alright.

15. KatsKlaws
    9:28 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Also, the comparison to WCS isn’t valid ….WCS was not considered a potential number 1 draft pick coming into his freshman season. Everyone knew he was a project and he had the mental capacity to realize he needed to stay and develop his game. It worked out for him….I think this is a completely different situation

• Catlanta Fan
      9:57 am December 28, 2015 Permalink

exactly

16. mobile2
    10:34 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Not agreeing with my take does not necessarily make me into a redneck nor does it make me a troll or stupid.

Substitute “disappoitment” for “fraud”…substitute “bought into the hype” for “hustled”…either way or whatever verbal gymnastics you like.

Skal is not the player that the recruiting machine made him out to be and I’d be willing to bet anything that Cal is shocked at how unprepared he is for college ball, let alone elite level college ball…which he clear is not prepared to handle.

That would all be fine if this wasn’t the one and done-NBA machine that Cal has created and the new kids coming in HAVE to produce in order for the program to be successful on a consistent basis. Developing a team identity and refining talent getting them to buy into Cal’s system is one thing. Teaching a kid how to play ball is another.

You fools think just because everyone here doesn’t blindly wave blue/white pom-poms and drink the kool-aid they’re (we’re) trolls or UL Tards or not “real” UK fans. Whatever. Your opinion matters about as much as mine which is not at all.

I love me some Tyler Ulis, Lee, The Beast Alex (I just wish he brought it every game like against UL…), Dom. Murray I’m intrigued with but he has got to learn to let go of his inner Archie Goodwin before he blossoms into a world killer (which he will).

This team has Final Four “potential” but I’m telling you that Skal will play little part in whatever run this team makes. For him not to hurt the team when he’s on the floor is it.

Just so we’re clear: anything other than UK IS GREAT ALL THE TIME = troll. Got it? Good.

Learn to handle differing viewpoints without resorting to ugliness. Your sports take is not “you” and the opposite view is not an attack on you.

Besides, nothing we say here really matters anyway.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:19 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Since we are doing verbal gymnastics, replace “redneck” and “troll” in my post with “ignorant” and “uninformed”.

My mistake – I was just going on what you wrote the first time…

• UK Big Board Update
      11:55 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

And people need to stop with the “you’re just drinking the Kool-Aid” bullshit.

I’m just as frustrated with Skal as the next guy, and I, like another commenter said, wish Murray would quit with the Globetrotter dribbling in traffic. I kind of conceded the UCLA game (losses happen), but the OSU game made me furious.

But there is a difference between being critical of the team and figuring out what the problem may be, and absolutely trashing the players, coach, AD, etc… You yourself said (initially) that Skal was a ‘fraud’ – basically implying that Cal was ‘sold’ damaged goods, and therefore should be returned or discarded. Just like Cal said, everyone is on their own time. You don’t dismiss the dude 12 games into the season. Hey, maybe he’ll develop into a terrific 4 year player? Isn’t that what people want to see? Like Poythress, Darius Miller, etc?

In all seriousness, though, if this stuff makes you that angry that you will resort to trashing players/coaches, then you are taking sports the wrong way. In the end, its just a game. But I guarantee this: if you read comments cutting down and trashing a player, and it was YOUR son, you probably wouldn’t like it very much. “Your son is a fraud”. “Your son is flat out terrible right now” “Now, if he’s willing to stay here and learn and work that’s one thing but…yeah, no…I don’t see it.”

You also used the word fraud several times:

The truth is the truth. I fully believe that Skal and his handlers pulled the wool over on Cal this time. Skal is flat out terrible right now and he’s a multi year project to be a top tier college player not to mention being anywhere near ready for the NBA. Fraud might be the correct term in this case. Now, if he’s willing to stay here and learn and work that’s one thing but…yeah, no…I don’t see it.

Prediction: he gets less and less PT and transfers at end of season. Hopefully I’m wrong but I’m laying it on the line right now: he’s nowhere near NBA draft this year and transfers out at the end of the season because he’ll be unhappy with lack of PT…and he ain’t taking playing time from the studs coming in next year along with Humphries and Winyard (sp?).

The scout has to call it like he sees it. And Skal is a fraud.

If you are going to post on here, on a public forum, you may want to choose your words more carefully.

And I wasn’t the only one disagreeing with you….

*And believe it or not, there are Tard/hater trolls that post on here. They’ve even convinced themselves that they’ve fooled everyone into thinking that they aren’t trolls. Those people are stupid.

17. mobile2
    10:43 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

Oh…I’ve been on KSR for a lot longer than some of you, just had a different name before having to log on to make comments. This place has been fine and fun and will be fine and fun but you have to accept opinions that aren’t from the cheerleading squad 100% of the time.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:23 pm December 27, 2015 Permalink

I doubt you’ve been on here longer than me, and I can assure you, the comments aren’t what they used to be.

And if you don’t believe me, just think, Matt doesn’t even mention or read the show thread anymore, and refers to it as a dark, ugly place.

Thanks.