Coach Cal just wants the Refs to Keep it Consistent

The last time Kentucky played under the College Gameday spotlight, the game ended with a controversial no-call when P.J. Washington attacked the rim for a potential game-tying bucket.  John Calipari did not send tape of the play to the league offices for review.  In fact, he insists one bad call never bothers him.

“My concern in refereeing and always has been, is not ‘Did you make the call?'”

Coach Cal just wants the refs to be consistent throughout the entire game.

“If you ever listened to what I’m saying, I’m not arguing a call.  Be consistent,” Calipari said at today’s press conference.  “If you’re calling a moving screen on my team, I am now watching down there, and if they moving screen, I’m gonna get on you about it.  They just called it on my team.  Consistency is all I’m looking for.”

Bad officials don’t even bother Calipari.  He only has a problem with inconsistent whistles.

“Sometimes it’s okay to be consistently bad.  Just be consistently bad.  That’s fine too.  Just whatever you’re going to be, this is how I’m calling it.  If there are hand-checks and you start calling them, call them on both teams.  If you’re gonna let all the hip-checks and bumps go, don’t call that on my team….Just be consistent.  Call the game.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

9 Comments for Coach Cal just wants the Refs to Keep it Consistent

1. Kevin C
    3:26 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, good luck with that. We’ll have 2 key players on the bench with 2 fouls before the 1st TV timeout.

2. 4everUKblue
    4:09 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

It will be one of few games in Kentucky history if that happens.

3. Han
    4:59 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

One problem with being consistent is that that can hurt a team that plays a certain style. We drive a lot, so if they’re calling a lot of charges, it’ll hurt us more than a team that shoots more jumpers. You can try to adjust to the way a ref is calling a game (like how baseball pitchers and hitters have to adjust to an ump’s strike zone), but sometimes it’s too late after a star is saddled with foul trouble or momentum has swung in a tight game. Plus, you shouldn’t have to adjust to a bad whistle. A consistently bad whistle should be a fired whistle.

• runningunnin.454
      5:50 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

You would think NCAA officials are like SCOTUS judges….lifetime appointments.

4. jaws2
    6:05 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

The SEC has the WORST officiating in all of basketball. Why is it acceptable today that you HAVE to beat 8 when playing an away game? I don’t care how pitiful the opponent is, you can guarantee an away game will be close 90% of the time. Regardless of our play, we WILL get hosed Saturday.

5. Bull Filmer
    6:19 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Coach CAL’s comments will now make national news that he was throwing shade at the ref’s again ala Ewe in Sea. Prior to that game, one of the worst officiated games I witnessed last March Madness 2017 was the WVU game – ousted from the tourney via a series of ‘unfortunate’ calls by the ‘officials’. It was unbelievable. Then I saw what they did to KENTUCKY vs Ewe in Sea. At that point, I realized this is all ridiculous; we have no control. The refs do – the NCAA does. It’s all about the dollar. There is a plan; it begins with the selection committee. The refs are there to ensure what the selection committee has put forth as Plan A succeeds. Plan A is dook wins. If dook chokes, Plan B is invoked; and that’s to ensure ensure Ewe in Sea wins.

6. sprtphan
    7:55 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Consistant? Ain’t happening.

7. mj7juice
    9:55 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Officials are a joke. Clear agendas, and want the spotlight on them. Make them attend press conferences after their games.