Coach Cal has Entered March Mode

in the National Championship Game of the 2012 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on April 2, 2012 in New Orleans, Louisiana.

John Calipari is ready for March Madness.  You could hear it in his voice on tonight’s call-in show.  It wasn’t what you would call “Swaggy Cal.”  The excitement felt more like a puppy in the park.  He couldn’t specifically pin down his excitement, but he loves this time of the year, he loves postseason play and he loves his team in so many ways.

“We’re kinda under the radar, wouldn’t you say?”  Is one way I didn’t expect him to describe his team, especially after he said: “I’m in a better frame of mind than I was with the 34-0 team.”

What that means, he doesn’t even know, but he really likes his team.  “When we’re playing the right way we are a low turnover team.”  That, along with their post presence and contributing seniors has him feeling froggy ahead of postseason play.  So froggy he’s throwing in another tweak to “help us refocus.”

“We’re just trying to land the plane before we run out of runway,” he said.  “We’re using this weekend to get ourselves right…Let’s prepare to play great and see what happens.  I love this.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

18 Comments for Coach Cal has Entered March Mode

1. UKfanman01
    6:58 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

I love Cal but UK was, about a week ago, favored to win it all at 6-1 I believe. He’s in a better frame of.mind than 34-0 team, not so much. He was on such a high with that team he stopped watching tape.om teams and stopped prepping because he was already cutting down the nets.

• CaliCat
      7:03 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

Some people believe whatever they want, I guess. True or not. SMH

• Squall Leonhart
      7:56 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

And the evidence you have to support any of that nonsense is…?

2. jim tom
    7:32 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

They may make a solid run. Man I love the cats but I just don’t see it happening to the final four . Hope so but …

• maximumscott
      7:47 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

They are 1 of the hotter teams entering March.
      They have won their last 8 games all in different ways
      They have shown us fight and grit and winning games while being down doible digits early.
      2 of the last 3 games were won while either Fox wasnt playing or Monk didnt play well.
      The seniors are playing their best ball.
      Bam is playing his best.
      Monk is playing better defense and attacking
      Fox is starting to play better.
      Briscoe is playing just how we need him.
      Gabriel is the only one not playing that well right now.
      This team has the talent
      This team is winning in diff. Ways
      They are getting better each game
      They are healthy.
      Confident

I believe this is a Final Four team that will start peaking at optimal performance Champ game of SEC.

• TBW3011
      8:41 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

We were better in November/December than January to now. With the right draw we can make a run, but things aren’t exactly clicking on all cylinders.

• maximumscott
      9:40 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

We are a better defensive team right now.

• jim tom
      7:53 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

Dude I hope so. The slow starts scare me and getting too far behind in pressure packed situations. They do have fight though here they have shown lately. The ides of March are upon us

• WeareBBN
      10:34 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

maximum…only problem with all you said is what we played against. There are a number of teams that would be on an 8 to 10 game winning streak against these sorry SEC teams, UF is good but was missing a main player. I want to see us winning because of HOW we are playing, not WHO we are playing. The way we have played, if that had been against good teams, we would not be winning. I agree with the talent part and at least we did win these games but a long tourney run is doubtful unless we get a pretty good draw which seldom happens.

• Eazy
      10:46 am March 7, 2017 Permalink

UF, Vandy, Arkansas, and SC are tournament teams. GA is a good team who played great against us. We killed UT. The only bad performance was at Missouri and we still won. There aren’t many teams that would’ve won the last 8. Maybe a few. UK is playing well and has a shot at another final 4. Also, Fox misses the UF game. Fox >>> Egbunu.

3. CatManDo
    8:25 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

I really hope we make a run in the tourney but I am concerned about how we have played (albeit won) against middle of the road teams.
    How confident would you be if we were placed in the ACC tournament? I would give us a slim chance.

• TBW3011
      8:42 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

Not very. That said, I don’t know how any of them can feel super confident. Someone has to win it though.

• Eazy
      10:51 am March 7, 2017 Permalink

Exactly, UK would have just a good of a chance as any of them. We’d either be the favorite or second favorite. Theres only 1 ACC team that’s ranked ahead of us and we already beat them. We’d beat UL. It’d be a toss up but I’d like our chances. Hell, we are the favorite to win it all.

4. 2thepoint
    8:50 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

The problem is consistent good shooting. They can’t win against better teams shooting in the 20% range for a half.

5. Cals Hoverboard
    9:03 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

After reading these comments, I was thinking, “are we really a #2 seed trying to ride a hot streak onto a #1 line ?” Or are we really a 7 seed like you make it sound ? Outside of our recent slow starts, this team is showing excellent signs of peaking. Come on folks, it’s not gonna make you sound like a homer if you stick your neck out, support this team, and have some confidence that we’ll make a strong run at this. Hell, anybody can just say, “I like this team BUT I just don’t see it happening”. We are as good as any team in the field ! I love this team and I see a great tournament run coming!

• Eazy
      10:53 am March 7, 2017 Permalink

I agree. I’m sick of the negativity. I think we are on me of the 5 best teams in the country and we always do well in the big dance.

6. jim tom
    9:30 pm March 6, 2017 Permalink

Ok

7. satcheluk
    12:50 pm March 7, 2017 Permalink

We are a top 10 team and we have more whiners than a day care. SMH.