Coach Cal expects real life college basketball in November

It is anyone’s guess as to when we will have live sports again, but John Calipari believes he will be coaching live college basketball as scheduled later this year.

“There’s so much up in the air, but I will say this: I fully expect us to be playing basketball in November, I really do,” Calipari said during a guest appearance on The Paul Finebaum Show.

Calipari also told the story of his players playing pickup, then crying, as soon as they got back to Lexington after the cancelation of the postseason.

You can hear Calipari’s entire interview in the third hour of the show here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Coach Cal expects real life college basketball in November

1. RAGE
    10:27 pm April 2, 2020 Permalink

I was so excited for next season a few days ago.. I was hoping to get a few of our players back like I honestly expected we would.. But after the news we have had the last few days with our players… It has kind of taken the wind out of my sails so to speak… I ain’t whining or blaming anyone and I hope all of them succeed in their careers.. But man I am really frustrated that we keep losing players that are going pro before they are ready… I guess that comes along with playing at Kentucky.. I mean EJ was playing for any other college program I don’t think he can even consider going pro or is even looked at… He ain’t the only one but I was really hoping that next year was going to be a special team if we was just able to keep maybe one or two of the players that are putting their names into the draft.. Then we would have Brooks, Juzang, Allen, EJ, and either Hagans or Quick.. with all the incoming freshmen we have coming in.. I mean we would be extremely deep athletic and long with plenty of shooters… The team would have had no weaknesses but now looks like we are going to be extremely young and thin and in desperate need of another big body… I am sure Cal will have us ready come March and we will be in the thick of things come tournament time… But we are going to probably struggle early in the season like we did this season.. I was sure hoping that we will not have to wait until late in the season to see good basketball here in the commonwealth.. Sorry guys for the long post just bored I guess with to much time on my hands lol

• Han
      11:56 pm April 2, 2020 Permalink

If we’re able to flatten the curve enough and slow this thing down and somehow rush vaccines, and if we manage to have a college basketball season, let alone one in November, our team is going to be even more disorganized than usual. With possibly no one coming back but Brooks, we will have no cohesion. Even if Cal adds a grad transfer or two, they’ll still be new to the system/program/coaches. The team won’t have months of pickup and workouts together starting in the summer, won’t have as much/any pre-season practices, won’t have guys who know the system to help them along (except the walkons). It’ll be rougher than usual.

Other teams will also be doing without the practices and such, but no one else loses as much as we do roster-wise..

• runningunnin.454
      12:08 am April 3, 2020 Permalink

I understand everyone’s frustration with the UK revolving door. Tonight I watched the replay of UK vs Stanford ’98 semi-final. OT one point win, wow. I remember that year’s Duke and Utah games, but had forgotten this one.
      1 Stanford was a good team. 2 Jeff Sheppard really came through in the clutch. 3 Nazr Mohammad was a monster.
      Watching that game and comparing the players to this year’s squad is fairly telling; I thought Nick did well this year, but he is not close to the ballplayer Nazr was.
      And, none of the other players on this year’s team can come close to Sheppard, and he didn’t play in the NBA, but 1 year. EVERYONE needs to return to UK, and get better That ’98 team would destroy last season’s team.
      This not ready revolving door has become quite sad.

2. gobble gobble
    10:38 pm April 2, 2020 Permalink

At this rate, I just don’t see it

• Han
      12:02 am April 3, 2020 Permalink

Safe, widespread vaccine will likely be next year before it’s available. We could see this outbreak die down in a few months, but once we start returning to normal with crowds and such, there is the risk of a second wave. Just have to hope it doesn’t happen.

People keep pointing to how it seemingly died down in China, but they locked down in a way we can’t and won’t here, and they’re still not ready to start getting back to normal like they tried to be. And while South Korea is doing comparatively well, they handled it so much better than we have and continue to do so..

We still have people in every community ignoring and mocking restrictions, calling this all hysteria or a hoax. We still have leadership who are either lying or not understanding what the experts tell them, and then they spread that misinformation on national television every day while bragging about how great they are. Many states still aren’t doing any kind of at-home restrictions, and supplies are running out before we hit peak. Gonna be rough, and any plans for Summer or later are still just optimism at best..

3. Jesus H. Chrysler
    9:42 am April 3, 2020 Permalink

This Biological warfare from China will prevent life as we’ve previously known it from happening until we reenact another Hiroshima