Coach Cal celebrates Dontaie Allen’s defense with a tweet

Dontaie Allen is Kentucky’s shooter with a team-best 52 percent clip from outside with 13 made 3-pointers. Allen ranks first in the conference in 3-point shooting percentage, but it is his defense that drew praise from John Calipari early Monday morning.

In a tweet to his followers, Calipari shared film of Allen’s defense in Saturday’s win over the Gators. “I’m so proud of Dontaie Allen and his growth as a basketball player,” he tweeted. “This should be applauded as much as anything he’s doing!”

The celebration of Allen’s defense came not even a week after Calipari challenged Allen’s defense in his comments after the Vanderbilt game.

“Dontaie Allen broke down a ton today defensively,” Cal said in the postgame press conference last Tuesday. “He made baskets and free throws when we needed it, but he may have given up as many as he scored. And I told him, I said, look, if that’s the case and it’s even-steven, I’m probably good with you.”

Allen responded down in Gainesville, and his head coach is proud.

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Coach Cal celebrates Dontaie Allen’s defense with a tweet

1. GM1978
    11:38 am January 11, 2021 Permalink

He was much much better defensively against FL..

2. Bluehender
    12:08 pm January 11, 2021 Permalink

He needs to be on the floor. His shooting opens up the floor. When he hit bottom of the net with his first two shots Saturday, he should have gotten more looks. I was disappointed that he didn’t. And his defense was nearly as good as anyone else.

• GymRat
      12:36 pm January 11, 2021 Permalink

After those first two shots he had somebody draped on him the rest of the game, and just like you said, it opened up the floor. He’ll get a chance to hit more shots, but against Fla those first two were more than enough to be effective and completely change the game. Notice how we got a lot more dunks Saturday night too? I’ll take dunks all day long, and having Dontaie on the perimeter was a big part of the easy buckets being there.

• Bluehender
      12:48 pm January 11, 2021 Permalink

True GymRat, but I don’t remember him running anything to try to free Dontae up for a shot either. But I was otherwise thrilled with how we played

• GymRat
      1:17 pm January 11, 2021 Permalink

We all know Cal prefers not to run sets, and I agree w/ that philosophy, at least when things are working. A good offense that creates multiple scoring opportunities is what high level basketball is about. If the defense takes something away, a better opportunity presents itself. That’s what we saw Saturday night IMO.

3. Dustin Rumbaugh
    12:08 pm January 11, 2021 Permalink

Cal gets sooooo focused on defense. We also need to score points to win. You can’t hold the other team to zero. I wish he would change that mentality. Defense is GREAT. And we were GREAT at Florida (their point guard peed his pants and kept throwing it away because he was scared of Jackson launching his shot into the stands). But you still gotta score points and Dontaie’s presence, just standing in the corner, or making the Gators chase him around, gave us the open lanes to smash those dunks and score those points. That’s a fact. He’s better than “even-steven.” Everything doesn’t show up on the stat sheets. Those of us with eyes have seen how much he changed our offense.

4. clarks
    1:06 pm January 11, 2021 Permalink

Allen should be benefiting from Clark’s return since he can collapse the defense. Looking forward to seeing the team at 100%. Thought clark really kept us in alot of games when nobody could score until he left everything short against notre dame, a sign of fatigue. Turns his ankle in first half of next game, I think, and clearly wasnt the same. He shouldnt start when he gets back and work him back in, but we need him back soon.