Closing the book on a wild 24 hours

FullSizeRender

When I walked into Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Sunday, I had two things on my mind: First, I wanted to watch Louisville lose. Check. Second, I wanted to watch Kentucky win and advance to the Sweet Sixteen. Check.

I did not expect to make national news. I did not expect to put Lynn Marshall on blast. I did not expect a Monday interview with Inside Edition or to see my name in a British tabloid or on the front page of about million websites. I simply went to the tournament to watch Louisville lose and Kentucky win. Check and check.

But I did make national news and I did put Lynn Marshall on blast, neither of which were my intent. She has her husband’s basketball program and the tournament officials to thank for that, as well as herself.

All I did was take a short, 20-second video to show how animated she was during the game in the row directly to the right of my media seat. I intentionally shared one that did not catch any of her many F-bombs because I wasn’t there to make a Lynn Marshall story. I was there to watch Louisville lose and Kentucky win, and she happened to be part of my experience. My initial tweet was harmless and only to show that I was sitting so close to the craziest fan in the building.

Things took a turn when someone from Wichita State saw my tweet and sent an official from the tournament over to get my name and organization. That person, who we’ve since learned was also the moderator of all of the tournament press conferences, told me I could no longer take video of Mrs. Marshall because “she saw it and it made her upset.” I politely said I didn’t mean any harm and actually thought she was entertaining, and that I would not record her again. I stuck to my word, because, I really didn’t care. There was a pretty important basketball game being played in front of me and that had my attention.

Then after the game, the same tournament official came up to me in the media work room, along with one of his colleagues, and asked me to pull up the tweet/video on my computer. I did and then he demanded I take it down. I asked why. He explained that it was “intellectual property of CBS.” I said that’s ridiculous. He explained that any footage taken in the arena belongs to CBS. I thought to myself, “That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard,” but decided it was best to comply and move on with my life.

But of course I had to tweet about it.

You’re not going to bully me into deleting a tweet and think I’m just going to go away, so I let it be known that my harmless video (we can all agree it didn’t show much) had to be pulled down because the NCAA, or this person representing the NCAA, wanted it down. And it wasn’t taken down because CBS owned it. It was taken down to protect the wife of Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall, who was the loudest, most vulgar fan in the arena. If it is anyone else, none of this happens.

Then came a completely separate report, with absolutely no connection to me, saying Lynn Marshall had been escorted out of the building. Toss that onto the fact she interrupted her husband’s press conference to complain about a foul; sprinkle in all the whispers around the media room about her behavior throughout the entire game and in the postgame; then throw in my deleted-video; and it’s a national story.

That ain’t on me, Wichita State.

I have since received several tweets/e-mails claiming I had it out for Marshall because she was causing a disturbance around me during the game. That could not be further from the truth. It’ll take a lot more than her behavior to upset or offend me. Hell I’ve been Lynn Marshall before, many times in fact. If a video existed of me watching the final play of the Titans-Rams Super Bowl, I’d probably be in prison. She isn’t the first person to curse while watching sports.

But now I’m attached to Lynn Marshall and I’m the bad guy who made it all happen, all because of an innocent video that had already disappeared into the Twitterverse. The people at Wichita and at the tournament made the mistake of digging it back up by trying to cover it up. Now it’s everywhere.

So to Wichita State, sorry I’m not sorry. Get your girl under control and learn how the internet works. This one’s on you.

And to the NCAA, please don’t call me a liar again when you know damn good and well someone representing you with the tournament told me to take the video down. Oh, and I’ll see you next weekend in Memphis. I’m sure it won’t be awkward at all.

Go Cats.

And did I mention Louisville lost?

Article written by Drew Franklin

58 Comments for Closing the book on a wild 24 hours

1. Saul T. Nuts
    7:37 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Well said Drew! KSR and all UK fans are lucky to have you writing for us!

• Ridge Runner
      4:33 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

Agreed 100%

2. It’s good to be Drew Franklin! Okay, maybe not in this context, but you sound like you’re handling it well.

BTW, PLEASE post the video from Inside Edition! I have no idea when, where, or if it comes on in my area.

• pancakesfordinner
      8:09 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

What he posted below was pretty much what they showed. There was a bit about the Northewestern kid right before, but nothing extra in the video (at least what got played in the Cincinnati Market).

3. bgkycat
    7:51 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

To clarify…Drew had no idea who she was when he filmed it, right?

• BigBlueSkyDog
      7:55 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

What difference does it make? No one should be excused of that kind of behavior.

• bgkycat
      8:03 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

I guess it doesn’t make any difference…I was curious more than anything. Drew doesn’t follow Wichita State basketball so I really doubt he knew who she was.

I can honestly say I’ve never acted like that at a UK game. From the privacy of my living room…different story.

• Booby Petrino
      8:20 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

I’m guessing he knew, but that’s just my guess.

• Mathlete
      8:44 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

From the story he told on the radio show yesterday, I’m pretty sure he didn’t know who she was. Her kid apologized for her behavior to the people in that area and they said “oh she’s your mom?” and the kid said “yeah, and that’s my dad” pointing to Greg Marshall

4. RICKSVD
    7:51 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

I really don’t see why it’s a big deal and even worth keep mentioning and talking about? And for Matt to act like Gregg Marshall is not on the short list anymore is absurd. Did I miss something or was Matt appointed to the hiring committee by our AD? Big head needs to take it down a notch, not everything at UK is run through Matt Jones.

• Mitch is apparently a pretty conservative Mormon, so I think Matt exactly right. You don’t think Ellen C. would be on every highlight show every night if she acted like that at games (this is UK not the MVC)? I don’t think Mitch wants that. In a different time an AD could tell a prospective hire that he needs to get his wife under control. Could you imagine that now? The protests would look like UK invited Milo to speak.

• DrewP
      8:54 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

You would think he would make her stay home. Why deal with this when he has a game to coach. I dont get that.

• southalcat
      8:20 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

On the short list? For UK?! Surely you jest. We’re not in the market.

• 4everblue
      9:06 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

southalcat is right we are not in the market but if we were I personally would hope he is not on any list except the yearly tourney list. We need a new Rick Majerus.

• Yev
      9:16 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

You are 100% right that they dont need Matt’s or KSR approval for a hire. But, as the owner/host of the largest soruce of UK information in the country, as well as the number 1 radio show in the state, if Matt disagrees with the hire, he has a platform and a loyal listener base to make waves. UK’s coaching job is hard enough for anyone, and the fan expectations are super high. The job does not need a drama situation brought in on top of what it already is.

5. catsarerunnin
    7:53 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

ShockerSkankgate continues…

• pancakesfordinner
      8:11 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Actually I think this story is pretty much over now, WSU is out of the tourney now, and the NCAA called Drew a liar. Unless the Marshall’s decide to hold a press conference or the NCAA wants to try to call him a liar again, what else is there to this story?

• catsarerunnin
      8:54 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

I like waffles better.

• 4everblue
      8:59 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Pecan waffles for me.

6. oruacat2
    7:55 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Question someone should ask the NCAA – what if a random, non-media person had tweeted out the video of Lynn Marshall? Would they have made an effort to track down that person and delete that tweet, too? Would she be as “upset”?

7. Rixter
    8:00 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

“in the most ridiculous manner possible”

Well done.

8. Stuck on Blue
    8:20 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

This is why we love you Drew. Have fun in Memphis, but watch your back 🙂

9. nicky
    8:22 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

You have etched yourself into UK lore Drew!

10. Booby Petrino
    8:23 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

People telling them to stop talking about it: in case you don’t know, they are running a business. This story is getting hits. Why would they walk away from easy money?

11. 4everblue
    8:25 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

I have been critical of Drew in the past but I am now a fan. Good job on this one Drew.

• AGSlater
      12:02 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

thats bc hes not 100% biased 24/7. The only reason you would be critical. Writers cant be biased every post

• Theymademesignup
      4:07 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

Why would he ever be biased? He was a Tennessee fan until he turned 20 and moved to Lexington.

12. DTGgocats
    8:56 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Well done Drew. Proud to be a KSR fan!

13. cattycat
    9:06 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Keep up the good work Drew. Always stand up for yourself, and your rights. Don’t back down. Go Blue. We got your back #BBN

14. spookykim
    9:08 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Our hero!

15. Cals Hoverboard
    9:10 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

The last time we faced Wichita State, Aaron Harrison showed the world that he had some “big ole nuts”! Now it’s Drew that can make the claim. Way to go dude.

16. Kat4Life
    9:13 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Drew….you were a hero prior to this…..now it’s a full on man crush !!! Seriously, well done………

17. 4everaCat
    9:49 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Drew put that crazy Shocker lady on blast!!! Terribly mishandled by the NCAA!! Didn’t think I could like KSR more but it’s happened!! So proud of you guys and the work you do for UK athletics!! #GO BIG BLUE

18. unbridled
    9:50 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

This story is soooo stupid and irrelevant. Please make it stop.

• InigoMontoya
      10:15 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

I’ll help you.
      Step 1: Don’t click on KSR.
      That’s it.

• Theymademesignup
      4:05 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

KSR panders to the lowest of UK fans.

• Booby Petrino
      8:27 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

like yourself, theymademe? I mean, you’re here commenting too.

19. AuthorDude
    11:01 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Amen, Drew.

20. BigEastCat
    11:16 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Good going Drew. Stand your ground.

• BigEastCat
      11:23 pm March 20, 2017 Permalink

Cats by 7 over UCLA and Monk, Bam and Derek make a statement…….

21. tree_gardener
    12:41 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

Hell yes cowboy

22. StuckinLville
    3:47 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

I really don’t see what the big deal is. First Drew didn’t know who she was because he said he was just posting a video of this crazy, intense fan. He was not posting it to make her look bad, just that she was crazy into it. If she weren’t the coaches wife, would anyone have even cared? I mean, yeah maybe she shouldn’t have been cussing like crazy, but I think it’s pretty cool she supports her husband, players, and that team so much she’s willing to make an ass of herself lol. Honestly, I’d rather see this than when Rick Pitino’s wife sat there all stiff with her RBF on. Maybe she should be sober at the next game, but I don’t see what the big deal is.

• Mathlete
      8:48 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

If you were married to Rick Pitino, wouldn’t you have a major case of RBF too?

23. Theymademesignup
    4:04 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

“Don’t call me a liar” says someone who has made their entire career on pretending to be somebody else. That’s cute bro.

24. Kevin C
    5:11 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

#DontFuqWitDrew

25. jdarren1963
    7:08 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

She just really wanted that bonus her husband gets for going to the sweet 16.

• InigoMontoya
      9:14 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

You may be on to something.

• burglarious
      9:58 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

The bonus is $36K for each victory.

26. t_f_licker
    8:30 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

I’m wondering how that nut job was never exposed before.

• InigoMontoya
      9:15 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

Good question.

27. TheNewOriginal
    9:09 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

What Franklin did in this case is National Enquirer level (at best). Only a complete moron would post a video of a coaches wife online and not expect a major media reaction. And, he’s correct in his defense, her behavior is on her. However, the hypocrisy is astounding. This comes from the site that has consistently defended ridiculous, completely unsportsmanlike, public behavior against our opponents. Hell, they often make fun of the physical appearance of other teams players and cheerleaders in the game previews. Let me ask, how does he (and all his 12 year old supporters that “…have his back”) react when a WS fan (or one of Marshall’s family members) walks up and hits him right in the mouth?

• loml12498
      9:32 pm March 21, 2017 Permalink

what the hell kind of comment is this? drew doesn’t have a problem with the coach’s wife at all. and he has every right to post videos on twitter as we all do even the POTUS. If she isn’t drunk off her ass and causing a spectacle that included yelling expletives at uk players and coach but more amazingly
      flashed her bleacher section after her team made a 3, then he has no impulse to post anything!
      I would hope that if anyone punched him in the mouth he would punch back.
      ps i am not 12 years old.

28. lexslamman
    9:24 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

I think Drew is right here – this is a non-controversy, a 15-minute story of giggles if Wichita State and the NCAA sat on their hands and said nothing. Attempting to cover things up just gives journalists an axe to grind and allows the story to grow legs.

29. burglarious
    9:57 am March 21, 2017 Permalink

The following item may also be a contributing factor in the behavior of Mrs. Marshall. Her husband gets $36,000 each time Wichita State wins an NCAA tournament game.

• loml12498
      9:29 pm March 21, 2017 Permalink

What does he get if they lose? Cuz they lost in case you didn’t know…
      flashing the bleachers is worth $36,000? That means she’s a whore.good call

30. loml12498
    9:28 pm March 21, 2017 Permalink

I think this perfectly and succinctly sums up not only the sequence of events, but also is a commentary on the hypocrisy and inability for the NCAA to handle anything in a human way.