You’re looking at Jay Brinker, a Cincinnati attorney and guest blogger for the Cincinnati Enquirer. In this morning’s “Doc’s TML” column, Brinker goes over yesterday’s sports highlights, including UK’s loss to UCLA. He starts off easily enough, talking about last year’s game and Kentucky’s woes in the paint, but then things get a little weird. Brinker admits he “enjoys when Calipari and his kids lose,” and in the next sentence, brings up ISIS being contained:

UK Loses. How things change in a year. Last year UK drilled UCLA by starting 24-0 and then continued the pummeling en route to a 39 point victory. Last night, UCLA avenged the loss by winning 87-77. Apparently, according to this analytic journalism article that far exceeds my casual sports knowledge, UK had a difficult time scoring in the paint. Sorry for your Wildcats’ loss Kathy, Greg, and Big Blue Nation. No, not really. I actually enjoy when Calipari and his kids lose. Speaking of things changing, it was only 3 weeks ago that ISIS was contained.

Clumsy transition or is Brinker actually trying to compare Calipari and Kentucky basketball to ISIS? For his sake, I’m going with the former, not the latter because nobody could be that dumb, right?

[Cincinnati.com]

14 Comments for Cincinnati blogger draws odd comparison between UK loss and ISIS being contained

1. empiremaker
    2:17 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Now KY basketball and ISIS made his hate list, I wonder who else is on it? ants, spiders, common senses etc.

• 25OR624
      3:48 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Who else on his dis-list? Females, in all dis-likelihood.

2. leon singleton
    2:24 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Brnker is making fun of Obama’s stupid statement.

• jtrue28
      2:37 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Which one?

3. Badboy
    2:49 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

The one where Obama said that ISIS was contained a few weeks ago.

• jtrue28
      12:14 pm December 5, 2015 Permalink

That doesn’t really narrow it down any.

4. winagain1
    2:53 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

I should probably be ashamed to not follow politics more closely…. But is this true? Did he really say that?

5. runningunnin.454
    3:06 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Neither ISIS nor KENTUCKY are contained. I think he knows that!

6. Joe B. Yall
    3:16 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Any word on Marcus Lee?

7. snaps_john
    6:02 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

You don’t understand. People in Cincinnati ARE that stupid. They would make this comparison. These are the same “fans” that are begged to go watch UC basketball (season tickets are $99……seriously, $99) and still don’t sell out a 11-12,000 seat arena. Cincinnati must mean in some eastern language “bandwagon” or “ignorant.”

8. jaybrinker
    8:44 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

Mrs. Tyler Thompson,

Brinker here.

Seriously? You missed the joke entirely.

Thank you Leon Singleton and Badboy for getting the joke.

I did not compare UK to ISIS. In a blog post full of acerbic remarks, I made a joke about how life changes. A year ago, the UK hoops team was awesome and destroyed UCLA. This year, with different players they lost to UCLA by 10. That is a change. No?

Three weeks ago, our President said that ISIS was “contained.”. Since then, we have had bombings in Paris and a mass shooting in California. That might be change or our our President might be wrong in that ISIS is not contained. It is a joke that has nothing to do with UK other than an intro.

BTW, my wife uses her first name, not Mrs. Jay Brinker. She is self confident that way.

Seriously, thanks for reading the blog. I am sure the Enquirer is appreciative and I always marvel at how far it reaches.

Jay

• Bobbum Man
      2:05 am December 5, 2015 Permalink

Cool story bro

• Badboy
      9:50 am December 5, 2015 Permalink

Jay,

Tyler is her first name and Thompson is her maiden name. She started using the “Mrs.” when she got married, as sarcasm to denote that she is a woman and she is married.

9. jaybrinker
    2:25 pm December 5, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for the clarification, Badboy. Obviously my first time here. I love guys’ names for women. My daughter is Blair.