Chris Webber blasts Willie Cauley-Stein on Mike & Mike

The only explanation I can come up with for Chris Webber’s comments on Mike & Mike this morning is he must be high, which, from what I’ve heard, wouldn’t be all that crazy before noon on a Tuesday morning.

Webber went on ESPN radio to talk about the Final Four and his criticism of Willie Cauley-Stein has Big Blue Nation up in arms. The former Michigan Wolverine said Cauley-Stein will never start in the NBA and shot down any chance he could be a DeAndre Jordan-type player in the league.

He said, “Let’s just be honest: If you’re a junior in basketball and seven-feet and average under 10 points, you’re telling me he can be a DeAndre Jordan? There’s no way. Come on.”

“This kid is like seven-foot and weighs two hundred,” C-Webb continued. “He won’t start in the league. You can’t play in the league if you can’t score, people.”

Webber defended his comments on Twitter shortly after the show:

He also said Kentucky isn’t one of the greatest teams of all-time and they would lose to several teams back in his day.

Article written by Drew Franklin

61 Comments for Chris Webber blasts Willie Cauley-Stein on Mike & Mike

1. Mc12
    10:48 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Did anyone else think the commentary of the game Saturday was absolutely terrible?

• Mc12
      10:49 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

He needs to take a timeout.

• Luvas
      10:51 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Bill Raftery needs to hang it up and go sit on a beach with Vern in March.

• Mc12
      10:55 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

I guess he hasn’t looked at DeAndre Jordan’s stats his first 5 years in the NBA, or that he averaged 8 points in 6 boards playing 20 mpg at A&M?

• EdC
      11:25 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Hit mute pretty quickly.

• TheNewOriginal
      11:33 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Yes, absolutely horrible.

• secrick
      11:53 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Get you a delayed radio and you can listen to Tom call the games, it’s easy.

2. WildcatScratchFever
    10:51 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Trolling for attention.

3. Joe Dan Gorman
    10:54 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Chris Webber is an idiot—-and may have just given the Cats some Billboard material.

Terrible commentary last game. It is evident they’ve never even watched a UK game—

4. roundball fool
    10:59 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Len Elmore has been passed as a horrible commentator and person. Sad, washed up has-beens.

5. deWildcat
    10:59 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

I still watch all the games without sound – I used to have Cawood on the radio – but now I just watch. No need to ruin a good game with Talking Idiots.

6. American Errorist
    11:02 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

C-Webb should worry about the disappearance of this neck

7. rdhack
    11:04 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Coming from someone who never played defense, calls phantom timeouts when the going gets tough and never played on a championship team.

8. MikeXUK
    11:07 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

If you are a Wisconsin fan/player, etc, Might want to place a call to Webber and tell him to STFU. Expect a big game out of Willie Saturday. Would be great if Webber was on the sideline and we could get a Willie stare down after a big dunk directed at Webber.

9. jonthes
    11:07 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Webber and Elmore (who no one remembers except me) are old fart jocks who never had anything like Willie’s defensive skills – no one ever has. I had to take down Elmore on Twitter (go see), I leave Webber to you young’uns.

10. Bluebloodtoo
    11:08 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

First of all, let’s all remember that everyone has an agenda. Some people’s agenda is just to get attention.

Second of all, Chris Webber couldn’t even get along with his alma mater or his college teammates for decades after he left Michigan, and to my knowledge, still doesn’t talk to any of them.

Let’s consider the source, people.

11. BigO
    11:10 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Webber and Elmore were beyond terrible on the broadcasts this weekend. I wondered Saturday night if they had actually watched any tape on either UK or Notre Dame. Just terrible.

12. theSkinny81
    11:13 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Maybe he’s doing this on purpose, to try and light a fire under Willies ass?

Just playing the other side of the argument.

13. etstit2
    11:17 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Man… I feel bad for Wisconsin’s big men, and anyone in general that wants to try and stand at the rim when willie has the ball. I hope he hears webbers coments… somebody is gonna get pooped on in indy

14. Mc12
    11:19 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

I wonder if he thinks Nerlens Noel could start in the league?

15. Adam From Awesome Trot
    11:20 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

What blew my mind wasn’t what he said, it was how hateful he was about it. He sounded like Willie and UK had personally insulted him.

16. BeastCat
    11:21 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

This sounds like something that someone from the ghetto, with little education(on top of a deep seeded resentment) would say………

• AndTheDevil
      11:47 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Not to defend Webber. His statements are pretty dumb, but he grew up in an upperclass family not the “ghetto.” Just because he’s an idiot, doesn’t mean you have to be idiot or a racist.

• Catsby80
      12:05 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

BeastCat mentioned nothing about Weber’s race… Don’t come in here with that garbage, man.

• cats42301
      12:58 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Exactly Catsby80! It’s amazing how some people try to interject race into a person’s comments when there was never any mention of race! So AndTheDevil we don’t need your race baiting comments go away!

• AndTheDevil
      1:06 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Really? Cuz seemed odd that he defaulted to “ghetto” as opposed to “farm” “backwoods” etc. Just curious if that had been a white guy would he still have assumed he was from the “ghetto?”

• madarchitect
      1:18 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Look up ghetto in the dictionary and you will better understand why the original comment appears racist.

• Catsby80
      1:28 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

I understand what ghetto means… What is your point? ghetto and black are not interchangeable… just because YOU associate ghetto and black does not make BeastCat racist nor does it make his comment racist… This kind of manipulation is ridiculous.

• BeastCat
      1:53 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Chris Webber is a multi-millionaire so he obviously doesn’t live in the ghetto. Also, if you have ever glanced at the fan base of UofL you would see that “ghetto” doesn’t mean “Black”. There are more white folks living in Louisville’s low income areas than black folks. Webber is making uneducated statements about WCS and he obviously hasn’t paid much attention to UK this season. I simply stated that Webber comments “sounded” like someone in that demographic because of the absurdity of he comment.

17. LaGrangeCat
    11:22 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

I hope the next person from KSR who interviews Willie makes sure he knows about Webber’s comments.

18. plumloopy
    11:24 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

I guess I’m the only one, but I LIKED the commentary btw Elmore and Webber generally.

It doesn’t matter what he says, the only way to really prove him wrong is for WCS to get to the NBA and produce. It’s all just hot air right until then. For WCS to go top ten says that a lot of people disagree with CW. I guess we will see in about five years.

19. UKfansNKY
    11:26 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

From a dude that can’t count and calls a bogus TO he better just keep his mouth shut and GIVE UP broadcasting cause his is TURRIBLE!

20. SanDiegoCats
    11:30 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

The commentary from Saturday’s game was the worst I’ve experienced watching the tourney over the last 20 years. With the amount of money they bring in, probably more now with increase in commercials, I’m shocked they can’t get better talent.

21. cracka
    11:33 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

WCS weighed in at 240 at the combine we had at the beginning of the year for starters, that’s a huge difference … second, some people really think you’re crazy when you say Willie can be a Tyson Chandler or DeAndre Jordan … look at those guys stats, seriously

Chandler is listed at 7’1″, 240 which is very comparable to Willie … the most he ever averaged in a season was 11.8 pts and that was with the Hornets when he had CP3 setting him up for a ton of lobs

22. danzigman
    11:36 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Did anyone else notice during the game he said that willie lacked skill and that was why he was playing poorly. Webber should stick to calling time outs.

• babydangy
      12:55 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

I think that was Len that said that, but could have been Webber after his rant this morning. It’s as if he is jealous of Willie or something. He sounds like Goodman with Andrew.

23. Laker Cat 18
    11:38 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Webber is a fool, but he’s still better than Battier.

24. catdaddyd
    11:41 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

If Willie doesn’t play harder/better than he did last game, then I would agree with Weber.

25. inside info2
    11:45 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

First of all, I love WCS. I think he is a great person and is fun to watch. However, he does take games off. I don’t think his heart is 100% in basketball. If I was an NBA owner I wouldn’t want to spend a high draft pick on him. I think he COULD be a great NBA player, I’m just not convinced he WILL be a great NBA player.

26. douggercats
    11:49 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Dude is HIIIIIIIIGH.

27. blakea
    11:58 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

I mean, he isn’t completely crazy after Willie failed to score on a 6’5″ guy. He went too far, but Willie forced Karl to score as much as he did or a crazy day from 3 to keep up with Notre Dame. Willie in my opinion will follow a similar trajectory as Noel (and of course he will start one day).

• babydangy
      12:57 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Willie never once touched the ball in the post when he posted up on Connaughton, so how is he suppose to score on him, when he doesn’t get the ball?

• Hastetheday
      2:11 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

I think he needs to demand the ball more often … Towns can’t be our only consistent post presence .

28. kyle heavy
    11:58 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Deandre Jordan played one year as a freshman for Texas A&M and averaged 7.9 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.3 bpg, 62% FG in 20.1 mpg.

WCS Freshman year stats: 8.3 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.1 bpg, 62% FG in 23.6 mpg

What is the big difference? Jordan is very limited offensively but is the big, athletic dunker/playmaker in the NBA. Same goes for WCS.

Also, WCS is listed at 240 pounds. Jordan at 265 pounds with 5 years of growth and develpoment on WCS.

29. secrick
    11:58 am March 31, 2015 Permalink

Elmore, said Willie had no athletic ability but made it up in hustle.

30. Melvit
    12:04 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes. Don’t give this 2 time loser your valuable time.

31. UKFaninNY
    12:04 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

First of all, we’ll see soon enough if that’s true (next year?)

Second of all, Stein didn’t score much with a 6’5″ on him -How come no one is talking about that?!?

So, Webber may be right!

• babydangy
      12:59 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

As I commented above Willie never touched the ball once while posted up on Connaughton so how was he suppose to score when they wouldn’t give him the ball? He scored on Portis and several other taller players this year on post ups. Can’t base one game in which he never got the ball on a whole, you sound just like Webber.

• UKFaninNY
      2:28 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

So, why wasn’t he posting him up more?

Does Cal not have confidence?

How does it make sense for him NOT to be posting up a guy 6 inches shorter than himself?

• blakea
      2:29 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Willie didn’t touch the ball once because Cal doesn’t trust his offense enough to go to him even against what should have been a mismatch. Cal doesn’t trust his offense because he throws line drives at the rim. Or do you know more than Cal?

Willie could one day be much better on offense, and Webber was unfair. But it’s somewhat concerning for our title hopes that he has zero back-to-the-basket ability right now.

32. cats42301
    12:09 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Len Elmore criticized KAT repeatedly in WV game for not wanting to play or be on the floor. We saw what he did against Notre Dame. Let’s hope Webber’s comments toward WCS get the same type of response.

33. Bluebros
    12:14 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

And Boogie will be arrested within 5 years of being drafted… Screen shot and saved for WCS first NBA start.

34. TJY
    12:14 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Webber is upset with the comparisons to the Fab 5 and that last year’s class was higher ranked than his. He is upset that UK got reinforcements for the great class from last year and might not only win a title, which he didn’t, but go undefeated cementing their place in history. The Fab 5 is what could have been, UK’s squad is what will be.

He is the one that sounds jealous, WCS can guard anyone on the floor and dunk on anyone on the floor. Anyone that watched more than 5 minutes of UK ball this year would know that. For now, we will just remember Webber for the timeout and being traded for Penny Hardaway after being drafted by Orlando.

Thanks C Webb, where the C stands for Crow that he will be eating Saturday, Monday and when Willie is in the league.

35. Catfanman
    12:18 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Time for a walk down memory lane.

I’m sure Weber will remember his one shining moment.

Refer to the following ESPN article –

Webber’s timeout hands 1993 NCAA title to Carolina

36. sangaman
    12:20 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Blah blah blah. I don’t care what he thinks, and I certainly don’t care enough to criticize him as some fans seem to be doing. I wish people wouldn’t make such a big deal when people make silly inflammatory comments, it’s just giving them what they want.

Agree with the comments that Webber has done a poor job calling games, but that’s about par for the course for TV. I much prefer listening to the Leach & Pratt radio syncs when I have the chance.

37. Kentucky Back-up Player
    12:22 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Webber is bitter because he don’t get enough of the purple crayon

38. BluKudzu
    12:27 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

Oh and one more thing…. How many championships did The fab 5 win in college? None. Further, only Jalen Rose played in an NBA championship with Miami, late in the series, for about a minute. Perhaps Chris’s vinegar was from the games Michigan had to vacate, and awards, he personally had to hand back, after the scandal involving the fab 5 and specifically, Chris Webber himself.

Your team, not only failed, but you were directly responsible for the victory and championship for North Carolina. 5X is what they wanted to be called, because of the number of MCdonald’s All Americans on the team. How about 5 cheaters? 4 losers and 1 DA?

39. truebluedrew
    12:56 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

I’ve always said WCS would be more like a Tyson Chandler. I had never heard the DeAndre Jordan comparison. I think that was mainly just becuase of the highlight dunks he has had this year.

Webber and Elmore were complete idiots on Saturday. Neither of them recognized any effort by KY. They were completely silent for the deep 3 by Aaron but had something to say when Grant had a reply. They were also silent on the final shot and GREAT defense to not foul, but that is probably because they really wanted KY to lose. It was painfully obvious that Chris hadn’t watched a single KY game all season and his continued comments about only scoring 10 points a game make him sound completely ignorant when he is only playing 20 minutes a game. To my knowledge, DeAndre never puts up huge numbers (until this season) and was only known for his dunks and blocks. Sounds a lot like Willie Cauley Stein to me.

Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate

40. cats42301
    1:07 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

I sometime think WCS “forgets” he is a 7 footer.What I mean is when he gets the ball on the low post and tries a soft layup when if he went up as forceful as he does on running dunks he could easily dunk the ball. How many times did we ever see Shaq during his time at LSU go up with a weak layup attempt? No we knew as UK fans when Shaq got the ball inside he was going up STRONG for a slam and that no one was going to deny him. I wish Willie should that kind of power more often because I know he’s plenty capable.

41. clhcat
    1:27 pm March 31, 2015 Permalink

I hate to stir it up but they….so far……aren’t even the best UK team of all time…..I like 96 and 78 teams better. Both teams won it all…this team is still on the run…..maybe Aron will go off for 41 like the goose. ..this team defends better but doesn’t shoot as well as either 96 or 78….

42. PatMan
    6:13 am April 1, 2015 Permalink

Chris Who ???? When I hear the name Chris Webber, the first thing that comes to mind is timeout and really not much more than that.