Check out this great article on Jon Hood

Hood_Jon_TV Head 12-13

Eric Lindsey over at CoachCal.com has a magnificent piece on Jon Hood and Hood’s plans for his senior season at Kentucky and life after basketball. Jon knew at a young age, long before he became a Wildcat, what he wanted to do in life after college basketball, and that is to use his post-basketball resources to found an organization that provides a place for special needs children to play sports in Western Kentucky. Jon reminisces back on the days when he and his family would drive 40 miles north of Madisonville for his little brother’s league game’s in Henderson, Kentucky. Mitchell Hood has cerebral palsy and epilepsy, and at the time, there was a league for other children like Mitchell to play ball.

In Hood’s interview with Lindsey for the feature piece, he also talks about how hard it was to sit on the sidelines, watching his teammates practice, while rehabbing his knee injury. He is entering his fifth season with UK as a brand new player with a new appreciation for the game — and John Calipari’s yelling, he says.

Give it a read over at CoachCal.com. It’s worth your time.

[Hood has grand plans for this year’s Cats, life after basketball]

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Check out this great article on Jon Hood

1. DavidBiloxi
    3:20 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

Dude has played with about 20 NBA players in his career. CRAZY stat!!

2. bung
    3:30 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

Hoods good…

3. mudcreekmark
    3:39 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

You all want to pick on Jon Hood all the time and I have seen or heard nothing but good things about this kid. I went to the father and son camp this summer and he was with our group and he was very polite and very good with the kids. Goofing off and always smiling. I wish him nothing but the best this year and hopefully he can help us on the court. I thought he should have got much more playing time last year. It seemed to me that every time he came in he did good things, he just didn’t get in enough.

4. 2BlueStew
    3:45 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

I am proud to hear that he has such plans. I coach Special Olympics in Western KY and have a son with Down Syndrome and it means so much to special needs kids and adults to be able to compete at many sports. GREAT JOB JOHN!!

5. DH
    3:47 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

Wow. Good on him. I admit, I’ve never been a Jon Hood fan, but I wish all the success in the world for him now. I really hope he earns himself some quality minutes this season. I love to hear stories like this about the kids that wear the UK uniform

6. katmancsmb
    3:54 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

Jon, A Superstar in the game of life is priceless. You will be one for sure. God Bless.

7. Kevin C
    3:56 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

John’s a great kid, and Mitchell is such a sweet, pure soul. My wife used to work with their mom at RMC’s Madisonville Pharmacy (she was the head pharmacist/manager then), and Mitchell used to come in there all the time, in the late afternoons. He’d always come up to my wife and hug her, then say “How are you today my beautiful lady?”. Always made my wife’s day. Anyway, I wish nothing but the best for John…he’s been a great ambassador for UK, and likely always will be (stay away from politics though, John).

8. Kevin C
    3:58 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

* Sorry… Jon… it’s hard to remember his name is spelled without an “h”, as much as I read Calipari’s name in the news.

9. Wiseguy
    4:04 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

Sorry to hear that the league “has since been disband.”

I hope they at least taught him: “Be proud of who yourself!”

10. Kentucky Basketball Forum
    4:07 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Lake Hair DOES Care after all!

11. ukfan
    4:19 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

Hood lived the dream that many kids in Kentucky growing up had every day, he played with dozens of NBA players, won a National Championship and will most likely win another, and just flat out had an amazing four year journey. Kudos to Jon Hood. With that being said, I can’t wait for him to graduate and move on, he annoys me.

12. Big blue lou
    4:21 pm September 19, 2013 Permalink

I think that is a wonderful way to live your life helping other people live a better life. I,m very proud to have a young man on are team with that kind of heart but it is know surprise to me at all that john is like that because ever time you talk to the incomeing fresh they always talk about john and how good he is to them and how he helps them just a wonderful young man and to me I,m just as proud of him for that as I would be if he was the #1 pick in the draft

13. William
    1:22 am September 21, 2013 Permalink

Great things will come to this man!