Charles Matthews transferring from Kentucky (UPDATED)

Matthews_Charles_MBB_2015_07_eh

Breaking news: KSR is hearing that forward Charles Matthews is transferring from Kentucky. The move will likely be announced by the school today.

In his freshman season, Matthews averaged 1.7 points, 1.6 rebounds, and 10.3 minutes per game. Towards the end of the season, he was hampered by a hip injury, for which he had a minor procedure a few weeks ago. The 6’6″ Chicago native picked Kentucky over Illinois, Kansas, Marquette, and Michigan State, committing on February 26, 2014.

According to our source, Matthews wants the opportunity to be more of a scorer rather than the energy guy Calipari and staff saw him as. To be clear, we’re hearing that Calipari did want Matthews to return for his sophomore season.

UPDATE (10:20 a.m.): UK just made the news official, announcing that Matthews will be granted a full release with no restrictions.

“The hardest thing as a coach is to lose a player that you really want to coach,” Calipari said. “In Charles’ case, I believe he is going to be a productive college player who has the ability to play at the next level. I know Charles’ best basketball is ahead of him, and while I’m a saddened to see him go, I support his decision and will help in any way I can.

“It hasn’t happened very often in my career, but transferring is a part of our game. It doesn’t change who we are as a program. We will support every kid in whatever way we can to make sure they can pursue their dreams, because ultimately that’s all I want for these young men.”

Matthews said the decision to leave was difficult, but Kentucky will always hold a special place in his heart.

“I want to thank the coaches, my teammates and the Big Blue Nation for all of their support this season,” Matthews said. “I gained great experience during my freshman year at Kentucky. This was a difficult decision for me, but at the end of the day I felt like it was in my best interest to explore other options. I appreciate the support Coach Cal has given me in making this decision and the commitment the coaching staff made to me for this past season and beyond. Kentucky will always hold a special place in my heart.”

Best of luck to Charles as he moves forward in the next chapter of his life.

43 Comments for Charles Matthews transferring from Kentucky (UPDATED)

1. theWilkman
    9:56 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Wish the best for the kid but if he was capable of being a scorer, he should’ve shown it. He had plenty of chances early in the season but could not get the ball through the hoop, almost like there was a lid on it. It’s too bad, I was looking forward to seeing what he would become with a couple of years under Cal and Co. The bright side is now we can have Lee AND Bolden.

• runningunnin.454
      10:03 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Lee is gone; and we won’t get Bolden…..just the facts. The thing with the women’s team; is it contagious?

• Booby Petrino
      10:31 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

The only way those are facts is if you’ve talked to Lee or Bolden personally and you are Coach Cal or Coach K. I’m guessing neither of those are correct. So, those are your opinion, not facts.

2. KyDoughBoy
    9:58 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Have the best team and STILL not win a title…always the bridesmaid LOL

3. Mr. Wrestling II
    10:00 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Mr. Bolden, your reservation is now ready…

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:34 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

The cynical part of me thinks this was indeed a last-second bit of space-making after it became apparent that Lee was probably coming back. But I still want to believe that it was just a kid deciding to go find himself more PT. Cal has never run a guy off like Pitino did Rodrick Rhodes, and I hope he didn’t start now.

4. jboy
    10:01 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Stacy Poole-Part2 ?

• Luether
      3:17 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully, Charles will have a decent college career – unlike Stacey Poole…

5. kentuckyrld
    10:03 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

I hate to see him leave. He was getting better and he was dependable to give good, though not great minutes. However, it is clear that he was never going to be what everyone had hoped he would be. I think that he will be happier in a program where he gets more playing time and is looked upon as a person to score more points. He would be great at a place like Morehead, or Western or ul or any other mid-major in need of a good player.

6. Larry Pratt
    10:13 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Good luck to the young man. I hope he finds what he’s looking for. However, if he wants to be a scorer, only he can make that happen.

7. terwilliger
    10:14 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

If you are a guard, and you want to be a scorer at the high D-1 level, then you have to have a jump shot. Exceptions to this rule are extremely rare (Briscoe is an example, but he is both quicker and more physically imposing than Matthews… And even he barely averaged double figures). I like Matthews’ potential, but you can’t be a “slasher” at a high major program without being a perimeter threat also.

8. blueballs80
    10:16 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

His jump shot was broken but he was a decent rebounder but no way he would have seen more minutes with Monk and Fox coming in. Now let’s hope Briscoe stays and Bolden comes down.

9. ukjaybrat
    10:17 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

This looks like a good setup to me:

PG) Fox, Hawkins
    SG) Briscoe, Monk
    SF) Gabriel, Killeya-Jones
    PF) Adebayo, Willis
    C) Bolden, Lee

Reserves) Mulder, Humphries, Wynyard
    Walk Ons) Floreal, Pulliam, David, Calipari

• Mc12
      10:21 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

No way that Monk and Fox aren’t the starting back court next season. If Briscoe returns, he’ll be in a similar situation as last year and it will be between him and Gabriel at the “3”. I think it’d be Briscoe before Gabriel. That’s assuming Bolden chooses UK.

• KyDoughBoy
      10:22 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Love how everyone already assuming Bolden coming to UK…stop

10. Mc12
    10:18 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Good luck to him. He has a lot of athletic ability but looked rattled at times on the big stage. If he can develop a consistent shot he can make a difference for another team. I was hoping he could fill the SF spot at some point and become a slasher with a decent mid-range game that could guard the 1, 2, or 3 on D. However, he wasn’t going to get many minutes this year, and without developing more skills offensively, that probably would have continued.

11. nybrasky
    10:23 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

That’s too bad. I think he would have been a valuable contributor for the next couple years. Good luck to him.

12. KyDoughBoy
    10:23 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Every UK fan: Matthews is awesome hes great…gonna fit in good on our team…best athletic ability in the sec

Now that he decides to transfer: ehhhh hes not that good lets be honest…LOLOL stop it people my god

• CatsfaninFL
      10:27 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

I know, right? I wasn’t expecting much from him next year, but that 2017-2018 year after we have a mass exodus, he would have been the perfect veteran for whatever group came in. Hate that he decided to leave…think he would have done well here eventually.

• spaghetti
      12:12 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

Re: KyDoughBoy, are you stupid enough to believe a kid’s scouting report as a high school recruit will automatically carry over to being a player at UK?

• a21CATSfan
      12:29 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

KyDoughBoy, or Justin, get off KSR and back to the Duke Report! K has more negative publicity than Cal, kind of hard for you guys to endure?

• catscratch34
      6:28 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

i believe u have no character as tall.. total lost in your own world.. maybe u shld be a tard fan and go cry or be a downer with them losers.. or go play on your dukie board

13. chrisg18
    10:26 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

What is up with these guys? Another one like Lee who is pretty delusional about his abilities. Good luck to the kid but he will not be a featured scorer anywhere unless he goes to a mid-major or lower.

14. PretendRyanLemond
    10:27 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

@KySportsRadio Coach K got Thornton to reclassify and come to Duke early and now essentially asking him to leave to get Bolden. Make of that what you wish.
    2:13 PM – 10 Apr 2016

Interesting….you could say the exact same thing about Calipari right here. I wonder if Matt will be consistent and call him out.

• Mc12
      10:35 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

I see the similarities, but at the end of the day it all comes down to what are these kids told during the recruiting process. Cal tells the kids they’re going to have to earn playing time and doesn’t promise them anything. He tells them UK isn’t for everyone. I’m not sure what Duke told Thornton.

• AllBlueAllDay
      10:38 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

It’s not the same thing though… Coach Cal didn’t ask this guy to skip his senior year because he didn’t have a position filled. This kind of reminds me of wiltjer. A guy who wasn’t quite built for cals system and so they decided to transfer to somewhere they could flourish. Wish him the best of luck and hopefully bbn will continue to support him.

• Booby Petrino
      10:39 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

I missed the part where Cal got Matthews to reclassify. So how do you say the exact same thing when Cal didn’t get Matthews to reclassify.

15. MadScientist
    10:31 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

I hate to see Matthews leave, I love his energy and style and I know he will develop into a great player!
    That being said, this is a part of the college game and I understand his decision to move on and find more playing time. I am sure the rest of the BBN shares my hope and wishes him lucky!

16. catfan838
    10:33 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Awesome kid and honestly there would only be about two players in America last year that would have played in front of Jamal Murray or Tyler Ulis. I wish him the best of luck!!!!

17. Biglaw Dawgin'
    10:41 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

I hope he stays at a high-level D-1 program. Sitting out a year for the transfer rule would really give him a chance to gain some size and work on his jump shot. I think he could be a really good player somewhere like Marquette, Michigan, or somewhere like that.

18. rickwhitetx
    10:46 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Just out of curiosity and in no way a knock on Charles … who pays for college athletes to have surgery? I’m assuming they have health insurance, but, is it paid for by the university or the student’s parents?

• ukbradstith
      10:50 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

I’m fairly certain it’s through university supplied insurance.

19. Bluegrass7914
    10:55 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Come on down Bolden

20. secrick
    10:56 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Like to see him end up at Mich. State. GOOD LUCK, Charles.

21. bosshogg24
    11:04 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

UK recruits too many players that can’t shoot, Lee, Briscoe, Matthews! The game is all about putting the ball in the basket. Rupp said, Give me a shooter (Dampier) and I will teach him to play defense.

22. Kyblue34
    11:14 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

He’s leaving because he wants to be a scorer? That actually requires making shots, which he was laying bricks all year long. I mean most of his shots weren’t even close to going in. The only reason Cal played him at all was for his defense and energy, but if that’s not the player he wants to be (even though that would likely be his best chance to go to the NBA), then there’s not much you can do. I think this also has to do with playing time and Charles realizing he will continue to be recruited over, and that’s certainly a valid reason to transfer. I wish him well, and hope he lands with a good team. Come on down, Bolden!

23. Catlogic15
    11:23 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Regarding comparison to the Thornton situation, I doubt any family members of Matthews will blast Cal like Thornton’s family did K.

24. GroundControlToNumber9
    11:24 am May 18, 2016 Permalink

Charles the athlete.

Needs to be a pro player:
    1. Lock Down Defense – Currently: 4/10
    2. Ability to Score – Currently: 3/10
    3. Inability To See This – Currently: 10/10

Somebody got in this kids head (or he’s just caught the Marcus Lee disease). You must develop kid… no top 10 team would start him last year.

25. plumloopy
    12:04 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

I can handle losing Skal, Ulis and Murray but now we lose Lee, Matthews and maybe Briscoe? Really was hoping Matthews would stick around 3-4 and maybe take a Darius Miller path to the next level.

26. PretendRyanLemond
    12:21 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

This post is spot on:

Fully understand the criticism and shots taken at UK for Matthews departure, seeing how the Derryck Thornton situation played out/Duke took heat for it. Completely justified which is why I live by the simple philosophy of “mind your own house and don’t comment on others”. I thought Thornton was overrated and saw writing on wall as Duke got a better player in Jackson and think Matthews saw writing on wall at UK (completely unrelated to Bolden recruitment in terms of Matthews perspective). Now I’m of the opinion this is zero factor in Bolden’s recruitment because he’s concerned about frontcourt minutes and overall playing time-Matthews wasn’t playing even if Bolden chooses elsewhere. But I fully understand and get the shots and fire away–if you are going to fire shots-have to take them in retort. As for Matt Jones of KSR—please fire away as he’s a DBag SUPREME who actually was thinking of moving into political field and many UK fans wish he would. He’s the loudest guy in the room that knows the least–but because he’s obnoxious and loud-ACTS important and people buy it-and it helps him when chasing coeds and young ladies at Keeneland.

• Booby Petrino
      12:48 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

spot on if you’re a troll. Again, this situation is not the same at Thornton. Coach Ratface influenced Thornton into reclassifying, then tossed him aside when Duke didn’t need him. Cal never talked Matthews into reclassifying and essentially changing the course of his future by making him leave high school a year early. Now go back to Duke’s little fan page or whatever the hell they have and have fun talking with people who actually root for the same team as you.

• @GoCayts
      1:06 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

Thornton was overrated? I thought he looked pretty good, especially considering he was on path to start college this year instead of last. He was put into a difficult situation to come in and lead Duke. He kind of seemed like he had a bad attitude at times, but who really knows. A lot of the criticism of K was in the timing of that transfer announcement with his visit to Bolden and then DT’s camp saying the Duke coaches lied to them about their plans with him. Matthews was not a 5* guy like Thornton … composite rankings were 18 (DT) to 59 (CM) … so you can’t compare expectations.

I liked having some guys like Hawkins/Willis/Matthews/Humphries that could give some roster stability and leadership, but they have to realize they are that 3-4 year guy and their time will come.

• PretendRyanLemond
      1:27 pm May 18, 2016 Permalink

Petrino-A UK fan posted that on the 247 board, FYI.