Charles Barkley says “F— John Calipari” during postgame press conference

John Calipari and Charles Barkley have been buddies for quite some time, going on record at one point to say they were “friends for life” on Calipari’s podcast back in 2016.

Tonight, they proved just that by participating in some friendly banter following Kentucky’s 82-80 victory on the road at Auburn.

During Calipari’s postgame press conference, Charles Barkley walked in while the Kentucky head coach was breaking down the victory, causing Coach Cal to go off script a bit.

“I’m telling EJ (Montgomery) when I’m walking by him, he should be yelling at me, “I’m better than Charles Barkley,”‘ he said.

Barkley was quick to throw his own jab back.

“I was yelling at you too, I was yelling, “F— John Calipari,” he said.

After some laughs and a hug between the Kentucky head coach and NBA legend, Coach Cal jumped right back in with the banter.

“Where is that statue? I tore it down, did you know?”

“It’s big over here,” Barkley responded. “(They made me) skinny too.”

Here was the entire exchange:

Earlier in the game, the former Tiger forward joined the broadcast to talk about the game and the status of the Auburn program under coach Bruce Pearl. Barkley said that Pearl would have to recruit lower-end talent and develop them at an elite level because McDonald’s All-Americans won’t be flocking to play at Auburn.

Dick Vitale then asked Barkley if he was a McDonald’s All-American when he came out of high school, to which Barkley replied that he wasn’t, but he sure eats a lot of McDonald’s.

Look at the exchange below:

Never a dull moment with Charles Barkley.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

23 Comments for Charles Barkley says “F— John Calipari” during postgame press conference

1. Cokely53
    7:41 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

Barkley is usually pretty solid on a broadcast but the exchange between he and Dicky V was dreadful today and to make it worse is they kept panning away from the game to show the announcers. Hate when they do that

• Huff
      8:49 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

I was OK with a quick how are you, but I didn’t tune in to watch Dickie V & Chuck shoot the shit for 10 minutes while the games going on.

• BPatte
      9:59 am January 20, 2019 Permalink

Barkley speaks the truth as he knows it! I actually enjoy his commenting and banter, just shows he doesn’t take himself too serious.

• J. Did
      9:58 am January 20, 2019 Permalink

Love Sir Charles. He’s awesome. Differing opinion. I thought the broadcast conversation with Dick Vitale was outstanding. Sir Chas loves KENTUCKY. Yeah. AUBURN first of course for him. But he’s a great ambassador for the SEC and a friend to KENTUCKY Basketball. I have great respect and admiration for the fella from Leeds, AL.

• KYCat4EVER
      8:35 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

SPOT ON Cokely53!

2. SuperTroy18
    8:01 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

I’m all for the banter between Chuck and Cal, but man…take it easy with the F-bombs, Barkley. It went from lighthearted to R-rated pretty fast there!
    I think he might have been a bit sore at the final score though still too.

3. blueblood4life
    8:31 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah F you too Barkley! Can’t stand the heat cause your Bruce pearl got his Ass kicked !

4. bryanq
    8:31 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

Charles Barkley is a national treasure!

5. Huff
    8:51 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

I wasn’t watching ESPN to see Chuck & Dickie V shoot the shit for 10 minutes.

6. Huff
    8:53 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

Good to see Chuck but I wasn’t watching to see him & Dicky V catch up for 15 minutes of the first half.

7. katmandue2you
    10:40 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

There’s a time and place for everything. When did we get to the point where anywhere and anyplace is the time and place for the F-word??? WTFart?

• satcheluk
      6:12 am January 20, 2019 Permalink

Watch the video. It was a joke.

8. Han
    11:17 pm January 19, 2019 Permalink

Lot of people in here who think a 4-letter word is the end of the world.

9. steve simpson
    12:54 am January 20, 2019 Permalink

Dickie V games I listen to Leach and mute tv.

10. bigbluehank
    1:51 am January 20, 2019 Permalink

Barkley is the man. I don’t agree with the profanities, but it was nice to hear somebody bring Cal down a peg…despite the sarcastic nature. It’s funny to see some fans condemn Barkley for his facetious comments regarding their heralded coach. Give it a break!

• 4everUKblue
      11:47 am January 20, 2019 Permalink

And just how did Barkley take Cal down a peg? I’m sure you wish he had, but Cal and Charles are longtime friends and Charles, in case you missed it, said he believes Cal is one of the best coaches in the country.

11. CahillsCrossingNT
    10:22 am January 20, 2019 Permalink

I watch the games on mute so I didn’t hear what they said. But they can put them on audio without forcing viewers to look at them. TV sports coverage gets worse and worse every year. Just show the games and not celebrities, sideline reporters or random people in the stands.

12. sincitycat
    1:43 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Vitale was so obnoxious (even for him) I just watched the game without sound and will do so again on Tuesday.

13. fredlexky
    2:31 pm January 20, 2019 Permalink

Sir Charles is a hoot!!! Love his banter. I remember years ago he was asked if he was going to run for Governor of Alabama. He said no, but if he did the first thing he would do was change the Death Penalty laws. He said “ there would no longer be a death row, there would be Death Week. If you’re found guilty beyond any doubt your put to death in a week. No more death row for years”.