Chad Ford: Bam Adebayo’s stock is falling, 50/50 on entering the draft

bam-adebayo

With the season over, mock draft season is now in full force. ESPN’s Chad Ford put together his annual list of who’s in and who’s out of the draft based on conversations he’s had with NBA executives, scouts, player agents and individuals close to players making decisions. Where do Kentucky’s players lie? According to Ford, De’Aaron Fox and Malik Monk have “one foot out the door” (players who are leaning toward declaring for the draft, but haven’t officially announced their plans) while Bam Adebayo and Isaiah Briscoe are “50-50,” or still deciding. I’m not sure who Chad’s sources are for that, but Bam and Briscoe considering coming back is surprising to me.

Who knows if that’s actually true, but one reason Bam could be thinking about coming back is that, according to Ford, his stock is falling after spotty performances vs. UCLA and North Carolina.

“Adebayo was awful against UCLA, scoring just two points and grabbing four boards without making a shot from the field. He started off poorly against North Carolina as well, before returning to form in the second half and finishing with 13 points and seven rebounds.

That inconsistency is what scares scouts and cooled the momentum he built the previous month. I still think he goes somewhere between Nos. 15 and 25 if he decides to declare for the draft. But if he stays another year and works on his perimeter game and consistency, he has the physical tools of a top-10 pick in what should be a significantly weaker draft in 2018.”

Meanwhile, Ford says Fox and Monk’s stock is rising.

“Fox definitely improved his draft stock in the last month and has moved into the No. 4 to No. 8 range in the draft,” Ford said. “Among point guards, Markelle Fultz and Lonzo Ball still have the edge, but Fox is now neck-and-neck with North Carolina State’s Dennis Smith — and has created some daylight between himself and France’s Frank Ntilikina.”

Ford likes the No. 4 – No. 8 pick range for Monk as well.

“In NBA terms, there are still concerns about his size and length at his position, and even more concerns about his ability to run the point — such as when Fox went out with foul trouble early against the Tar Heels — but Monk still looks like a lock somewhere in the No. 4 to No. 8 range.”

[ESPN]

29 Comments for Chad Ford: Bam Adebayo’s stock is falling, 50/50 on entering the draft

1. InigoMontoya
    6:45 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Bam really needs to work on his hands. He doesn’t hang on to the ball very well at present.

• syrin23
      1:29 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Man, you beat me to it. He plays ping pong with the ball, and that really showed up in the UNC game.

2. Luether
    6:49 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Cool if they both come back…

• Sarahvah
      8:31 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

not for your cards tho

3. shelby
    6:51 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

I would love to have bam back. I think Briscoe goes though — don’t see his draft sock improving unless he somehow becomes a knock down 3 point shooter.

• syrin23
      1:30 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

How is Briscoe an NBA player? Undersized for position, lacks NBA quickness, and can’t shoot at all. He is tough, rebounds and plays D, but they don’t draft guards for rebounding and defense.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:15 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

You don’t see his draft stock improving from “Not drafted”?

4. BlueHeaven
    6:58 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe is what he is and another 10 years isn’t going to improve that so no need to stay. I thought the word on BAM is that his family situation dictates he goes to the NBA sooner than later.

• kyle heavy
      8:15 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

So… how about staying in school and continuing to try to improve your jumpshot, while obtaining a 4-year degree. Then, you’ll have that in your pocket if pro basketball does not work out. Heck, you might even win a national championship if you stick around long enough these days. It’s an interesting concept that is going on at both North Carolina and Duke.

5. UKfanman01
    9:06 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Why in the hell is Fox still behind Ball? For God’s sake Fultz and Ball didn’t play that good of competition this year. Washington was awful. UCLA only won the first game because of UK’s inexperience, and Fox still put it on Ball. Then Fox decimates Ball in game 2. Fultz was only able to score because he played in……. yeah, that conference… whatever it is. Anyone who takes either over Fox is an idiot.

• runningunnin.454
      9:37 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Totally agree; Fox put a whuppin on Ball, and his rear end is probably still stinging. The NBA would be BIG idiots to pass on Fox.
      I noticed the other day, though….Ball said should be the #1 overall pick; the whole family’s crazy.
      Or living on de nile.

• syrin23
      1:32 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Not just that. Fox’s shooting improved dramatically this month. With his quickness, if he shoots at all, he is unstoppable. Ball had a hitch in his shooting motion and plays NO D at all. That won’t cut it at the next level.

6. 8xchamp
    9:59 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

If bam came back and actually got to play the 3/4 his stock would rise. Had to play 5 out of necessity. Not his pro position.

• jdarren1963
      3:31 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

I thought the exact same thing while reading the article.

7. J-Dub421
    10:33 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Bam got double teamed the couple of games, especially against UNC. Did scouts actually watch the games?

8. No way he comes back IMO. Ever since Brandon Knight left, I hold out basically zero hope of anyone comng back who is not a victory cigar.

9. dballrb
    12:03 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

They all leaving,7 maybe 8 players..The new program motto should be,”They are young,but improving,their freshman,but got a ways to go.”… so,so tired of Cal saying that…B4 anyone says anything, next year is going to be a growing pains year.So will leave,some stay then the next class comes in to form a young but experienced team.Unless the bench guys step up it will take 2 seasons to get the right mix of talent mixed with experience mixed with homegrown kid that plays for the state as much as for their teammates.I see 8-10 Ls coming next year.

• BigBlueMeade
      1:26 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

I say 6-8. Four or five SEC loses but I’m really excited about this next group. Seem like great characters and they all get along very well.

• catsarerunnin
      7:45 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Oh no! 8-10 losses??? That’s it! I’m done…

• kyle heavy
      8:18 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

I agree, dballrb.

If you are someone like Briscoe… how about staying in school and continuing to try to improve your jumpshot, while obtaining a 4-year degree? Then, you’ll have that in your pocket if pro basketball does not work out. Heck, you might even win a national championship if you stick around long enough these days. It’s an interesting concept that is going on at both North Carolina and Duke.

10. Catsby80
    8:01 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe is an interesting bird for a couple of reasons. I don’t think coming back is going to improve his draft stock, but to be fair, I’m not really sure what his draft stock is. I honestly don’t think he will be drafted this year and if that is the case, then why leave at all? I know the whole thing about hating school, but if you’re not good enough to cut it in the NBA, why rush yourself out of college? I think at best Briscoe would bounce around the D league for a couple of years and then end up in Europe, so why not stay at UK, get treated extremely well, get a free education (even if you don’t want it), possibly win a title, and then go to Europe after that? I get it that the 4 year player isn’t “sexy” but if you’re not an NBA player why ruin what you have at UK?

Just my two cents. I would love to see he and Bam both come back, but I’m not going to hold my breath on either.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      8:18 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

How do we know he hates school? I’ve never seen anything that says he hates school.

• Catsby80
      9:20 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

I’m basing that off Matt always saying that he hates school. I personally have no knowledge of this, but Matt says in constantly when talking about Briscoe’s future, so I was just taking his word for it. He is clearly more connected to the situation than I am.

• Megan
      11:45 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Wouldn’t Briscoe develop more quickly in the D League, where he can spend all of his time under the tutelage of larger, more dedicated training staffs? He always has the option of finishing his degree later.

11. symphonist41169
    8:57 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

I’m no NBA scout but I just can’t see Bam or Isaiah in the 1st round. If you’re not going to get the guaranteed money why leave? The 2018 draft will be a lot weaker and they’d have another year to improve their weaknesses. Bam needs to lose the hands of stone and hold on to the ball as well as develop a consistent mid-range jumper because he’ll not be a back-to-the-basket post player in the NBA. Isaiah needs to learn how to shoot and score without depending so much on drives to the basket that will NEVER happen in the NBA. Both should stay, but that’s just my opinion.

12. 3 fan
    8:57 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Bam has to work on his hands. It was stunning to see how many times he was stripped, blocked or couldn’t hold onto the ball this season. No excuse with that body.

13. 8xchamp
    11:04 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

If thought their was a chance Briscoe was coming back I don’t think he offers the 2 new guards on the radar

14. natedaddy
    12:07 pm March 30, 2017 Permalink

Mark this down. And if I’m wrong, I’ll eat crow…….Bam ain’t going in the first round. Briscoe will go undrafted. Now I’d love to see both come back, but Bams definitely going. With Briscoe, I can see him coming back just to improve his jump shot. If he does this, and maintains his defensive intensity, I can see him being a late 1st or early 2nd round pick in a much weaker draft nextyear.