Chad Ford: Bam Adebayo might need to come back to Kentucky next year

KSR-4455

ESPN NBA Draft guru Chad Ford released his latest first round Mock Draft last week, and there was a notable omission: Bam Adebayo. Bam has been slipping in mock drafts all season, and while his stats are pretty solid (12.7 points, 7.1 rebounds), they’re not exactly what everyone expected from the five-star when he came to Lexington. Kyle Tucker had Ford on the latest episode of his podcast to explain why he left Bam off his latest mock, and Ford said that based on the feedback he’s getting from scouts, Bam might be better off coming back to Kentucky for his sophomore year:

“I just don’t know any scouts that really love this guy and feel like he’s really in conversation to be a lottery pick, given the depth of this draft,” Ford said. “And that to me should be a signal for him, because he certainly has the physical tools to be an NBA player, but he might want to come back for a year.”

Wow. Obviously, a lot can change, especially if Kentucky makes a deep postseason run, but can you imagine if Bam came back? That would make an already impressive 2017-18 front court absolutely terrifying.

Lots of great stuff from Ford about Bam here, so go check out Kyle’s article in full.

[SEC Country]

24 Comments for Chad Ford: Bam Adebayo might need to come back to Kentucky next year

1. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    2:38 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Ain’t no MIGHT to it….

2. TJ
    2:53 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I see what Ford’s saying and his stance his affirmed due to the depth of the draft, but I don’t see it happening. It’d be awesome to see Bam for another year, but I’m not sure it would benefit him anymore than leaving this year. I think he is what is and that’s good enough to give him a long career. Yeah, he needs to learn to board a little better and his shot blocking could improve, but he can develop that just as well at the next level. He’s a good enough free throw shooter to average a double double with his size and athleticism in the NBA.

3. NcCatFan75
    2:56 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I doubt he will though. Just can’t see him returning for fear he might freefall a la Poythress.

4. AGSlater
    2:59 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

It would certainly help. Cal wont let him come back. I hope he doesnt become Dakari. I know Dakari is doing good in D-league, but 1 more season woulda helped him a lot. Now post my previous comments Big B

• Booby Petrino
      3:09 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Cal won’t let him come back…please *shakes head*

• AGSlater
      3:17 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

He wont because he wants him to go to draft. Players first. He could get injured

5. 2Dogs
    3:02 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I am of the opinion that Bam’s game may be suited more for the NBA than college. In the NBA he can duck his shoulder into the defender, bump him back and go up for the shot or dunk, whereas in college he gets his share of charging calls on that move. I certainly think he needs to improve but long term I predict he’ll have a solid career.

6. chase
    3:02 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I hate myself for being this guy but is anyone else worried about the back court next year?

• AGSlater
      3:05 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

We will be athletic, but shooting will be an issue. We will be a tall team thats for sure

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      3:07 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

YES! We will miss Hawkins more than we realize.

• 2Dogs
      3:13 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I’d love to have Charles Matthews next year.

• AGSlater
      3:18 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Or 1 more year of Mulder. Maybe Cal can find some foreign sharpshooter on the U19

• @GoCayts
      3:44 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

If Diallo decides to go pro, our backcourt is a serious issue

• AGSlater
      4:10 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Yeah. It would hurt more because Cal benched him this whole time

• The Professor
      5:48 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe needs to come back. There is no way he gets drafted, even in the 2nd round. He is tough as nails but lacks elite athleticism and is a mediocre shooter. That does not translate into NBA success. 100% chance he will be in the D-league if he goes.

• Luether
      7:22 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

7. chase
    3:03 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Three guys who’ve never played and no veterans to come off the bench

8. BBNBRIAN
    3:19 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Bam coming back wold be HUGE, but would likely scare off Knox. I think Knox has a better all around game than Bam, but I would certainly welcome back a second year player for their leadership.

• RealCatsFan
      3:37 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Or Bamba.

• Sentient Third Eye
      4:01 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

As the old saying goes, “A bird in the hand beats two in the bush.” If Bam decides to come back, then we had best just be happy about it.

9. Lord Timberlake
    3:42 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

All that showcasing of Bam with all the touches in January, and all it did was move him down the draft board? Just one more reason why Kentucky needs a good coach like Mark Fox or Mike Gottfried.

10. blueballs80
    4:15 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

I think Bam should test the NBA waters. If he knows the scouts may pass on him, then he will return. If he goes and turns out like James Young, that would not be good. As of now with positionless players in the NBA, Bams skill set is not there yet.

11. AndTheDevil
    5:25 pm February 20, 2017 Permalink

Bam probably would benefit greatly coming back. He does nothing at an elite level. The old saying is, if you can do one thing extremely well, you can carve out a nice career in NBA. Bam doesn’t do any one thing well. He’s not an elite rebounder or shooter or shot blocker or defender.

The D-League and Europe are filled with big guys whose best attribute is being big. That’s great until everyone around you is big too.

That’s not Bam’s fault that’s AAU system’s fault. It’s why so many kids come into college lacking so much. Monk struggles on defense because all he was ever asked to do was shoot. Fox relied on his speed and steals, now tasked with guarding someone in a somewhat organized defensive system he struggles. You can just sag off and wait for someone to throw a lazy pass. With Bam he was always asked to simply be big, because more times than not he was going to be the biggest on the court.