Matt Norlander has been a busy man over at CBSSports.com where today he has two new reports regarding the future of the current college basketball season as it enters its final months.

First, Norlander wrote a story about the upcoming conference tournaments and if they should be shut down for a second consecutive year. He polled several coaches across the game and found that 73 percent of them are for playing out the conference tournaments as planned, but there are good reasons among the crowd of people who would rather sit out. You can read his conference tournament story here.

But the conference tournament debate won’t matter if the regular season isn’t finished, a growing concern among commissioners and athletic directors as COVID numbers climb nationwide, Norlander writes. “There is a growing sense of nervousness over the stability of the college basketball season.”

Quoted in the story is Atlantic 10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade, also a men’s basketball selection committee member, who says, “I think the anxiety level is high for myself and a lot of my colleagues and a lot of coaches. It’s a constant — everyone is just holding their breath.”

Big Sky commissioner Tom Wistrcill told CBS Sports, “There has been concern, there is concern and will be concern going forward. The virus has been really unpredictable. It’s been hard for us to manage as a country, it’s hard for our level, both from getting students back to classes and getting into school, and for basketball teams to travel around and get games in. Everything I’ve tried to guess and plan out about the virus hasn’t worked. It’s really hard to sit here today on the 19th of January and say, ‘I’ve got a really good feeling about this, this and this going forward.'”

Read more here on the uneasiness around college athletics. Other than that and Kentucky being historically bad, I hope you’re having a great week. Enjoy your Thursday evening.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for CBSSports.com: Concerns around conference tournaments and finishing the regular season

1. JT55
    6:29 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

I don’t think I really care if they cancel the season tomorrow tbh. It would be good to get some players some more experience I guess.

2. runningunnin.454
    6:38 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

Well; Cal, Coach K, and Ole Roy may get their wish.

3. UKinIN
    6:44 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

If the positive cases within your sport aren’t climbing then continue the season. The players are not regular students. They are isolated, tested, and forced to follow NCAA, conference, state, and school protocols. It doesn’t matter what goes on outside of basketball. Stop pushing the Fear Agenda. The virus is real, people get infected, but numbers outside of sports don’t matter when it comes to the safety of those involved in the programs. I hope these leaders aren’t the same people in charge for the Zombie Apocalypse. I don’t want to have to get my brain eaten just because my neighbor did.

4. JT55
    6:51 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

Sounds like CNN style fear mongering.

• MTODDUK08
      10:36 am January 22, 2021 Permalink

Not to be a buzz kill but does it really matter? I would love as much as anyone for UK to win SEC tournament and somehow get in but that’s my heart not a chance in hell that happens and I live for college basketball but I have lost interest in watching any games the only interesting thing to keep up with is can anyone beat Gonzaga?? I think Baylor will blow it Iowa and Michigan may have a chance but unlikely who else is worth watching

5. panicpat
    7:01 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

Yep. Me and my woman finally went out dancing this weekend. The establishment was packed and we lived through it. Imagine that. It’s pass time to get back to real life please.

• Bluehender
      7:27 am January 22, 2021 Permalink

…you mean past time?

6. panicpat
    7:03 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

On a side note. Cash Daniels joined the band to sing a Tyler Childers song. He actually did a helluva job.

• itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
      12:32 am January 22, 2021 Permalink

It’s Kash Daniel you r word

7. zoupman
    7:14 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

I always knew once the NCAA made all the money of the football playoffs. The China virus would become an issue again.

8. Jambluehue99
    7:32 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

Relax everyone, Biden is on the job now. The WHO is already backtracking on the PCR amplification rates that resulted in so many false positives. The earth will heal, COVID will slither back to China, and all will be well. Right?

• Southky
      7:46 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

This ^^^^^

9. Racerr11
    7:54 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

Hell no they need to play no reason not to. Guess he needed attention when he wrote this. Same ole same ole trying to scare the sheep.

10. Jpcat15
    8:16 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

College kids don’t get sick from this. I’m sorry, this is a joke for this age group. Over 60 and in poor health then you need to take this serious. Not 1 game should be cancelled. The NCAA is just ignoring the actual science.

• CatManDo
      8:38 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

I realize this is just one example but I am in my early 50’s and had it and was just fine, really more of an inconvenience than anything. One of my friends (same age) had it and he said he wouldn’t wish it on anyone. I keep in good shape, work out about 5 hours a week and avoid fast food mostly. He has been overweight since grade school and smokes. College athletes should be just fine. They should avoid old, unhealthy relatives though.

11. CJKAssassin123
    10:31 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

I think The NCAA realises that this year’s tournament is likely gonna be without any the 4 blue blood programs and if that happens there’s no way there gonna be able to make the money they want to in TV revenue. So thats why they are thinking about canceling the rest of the season( Biden is going to push it in that direction in the coming weeks). Everything is going to shut down nationally due to Covid-19.

• Jambluehue99
      10:50 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

You mean shut down due to oppressive policies at the whim of a ruling class uninterested in science and more interested in controlling the population.

• UKBigBlueForever
      10:59 pm January 21, 2021 Permalink

Biden will not shutdown everything. Why does everyone bring politics into everything!? Ffs.

• itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
      12:34 am January 22, 2021 Permalink

He’ll keep allowing babies to be killed though

• Bluehender
      7:30 am January 22, 2021 Permalink

..wots of people got their widdle feewings hurt.

• Bluehender
      7:31 am January 22, 2021 Permalink

This was reply for UKBigBlueForever

12. Lip Man 1
    1:01 pm January 22, 2021 Permalink

Rates keep going up, more and more programs are cancelling not just a game or two but full seasons, three more women’s programs opted out in the last seven days.

The Big Sky has now had five schools say they will not be playing spring football scheduled to start in late February as No. Colorado yesterday said, “no.”

I’ve had people in the conference ask me, “Why are we even playing?…”

Competition and scheduling has become a farce, “championships” are illegitimate.

Even the NBA is now thinking this isn’t going to work.

50-50 chance this story is correct and things shut down for good next month until we get this under control with vaccine distribution.