CBS says Kentucky has the 4th best backcourt this season

harrison-twins

CBSSports.com’s Jeff Borzello and Matt Norlander are keeping themselves entertained until basketball season with some lively debates about various topics in the sport, including which team will have the best backcourt. The two hashed it out over email, and concluded that Kentucky will have the fourth best backcourt in the country this year, behind Memphis, Louisville, and Oklahoma State. Here’s their top ten:

1. Memphis
2. Louisville
3. Oklahoma State
4. Kentucky
5. Gonzaga
6. UConn
7. Notre Dame
8. Duke
9. Oregon
10. Boise State

I can see you now, with your head cocked and face scrunched up. “Really? Fourth?” Let’s hear their reasoning:

Borzello: There are a gaggle of teams I would take over them, but let’s start with Kentucky. Wildcats bring in the nation’s best point guard in Andrew Harrison, the nation’s best shooting guard in Aaron Harrison, and then another top-10 recruit in James Young. Talent-wise, that’s a loaded trio. Talk to me, goose.

Norlander: Kentucky was my choice for No. 5. There are overall chemistry questions I have with them. The talent is there. Is there anything beyond those three, though? We know Cal’s done great things with certain guards in the past. Talent-wise I think it’s a higher ceiling than Gonzaga. As a unit, I like what the Bulldogs bring back and factor in. And speaking of proven work with good backcourts, Mark Few’s had his fair share of deft guards.

I can give you UK at four, but we gotta go Gonzaga at five. If you’re down with that, let’s move on to the second half of this list.

I get that Kentucky’s backcourt is totally unproven right now, but come on…the Harrison Twins are not only talented, they’ve been playing together their whole lives. You can’t beat that kind of chemistry. Add in James Young, and by the end of the season, they’ll be ranked much, much higher than that.

38 Comments for CBS says Kentucky has the 4th best backcourt this season

1. asdf
    4:03 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Chemistry issues? That’s the dumbest knock ever on our backcourt. We got twins starting as our backcourt! How many other teams have a backcourt tandem that’s been together since the moment of conception?

2. Brad
    4:05 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

How can there be chemistry issues when they are twin brothers? Played together forever and wanted to go to school together. I chemistry with them is ok

3. Rixter
    4:10 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky has chemistry issues in the back court? Did somebody explain to him these kids have played together a time or 2? That they shared a bedroom all their lives? That they shared a freakin’ womb???

4. Mc
    4:11 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Norlander: My pick is to have Kentucky at #5. Why? Well you see, if I rank them worse than what they actually are, I’ll get a lot more clicks from UK fans. Since that fanbase is so big, it’s easier to generate more ad revenue.
    Borzello: Good point. I’ll say they’ll have chemistry issues, that’ll create clicks. No way UL has chemistry issues with a new point guard too right?
    Norlander: Who cares. More clicks. Just say it. I mean seriously, who do the Cats have in the backcourt behind 3 studs? 3 can’t be enough can it? I mean look at Ok. State with Smart, and……I got nothing.

5. Adam
    4:11 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

So UK will have Chemistry issues with Twins starting in the back court but UL will not with three guys playing the 1-2 spot that have never played a single game together in Russ Chris Jones and Rozier? Yea solid Logic there guys.

6. Louisville1Cal4
    4:14 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

What? Lmao
    I can’t name 1 player from Memphis’ back court & only Smart from OK States. UofL returns Smith & adds 3 new comers who should be good, but won’t be able to replace Siva leadership/experience wise. You don’t replace a 4 year starter in Pitino’s offense/defense & expect Jones/Rozier to pick up where Siva left off. It takes a few years to learn Pitino’s system regardless of how much talent you have.
    Though the Twins & Young have no college experience, they are hands down the most talented trio of 1 & 2 guards on any team this season. Everyone forgets Polson is a senior with plenty of experience & will be able to handle the back up role just fine like he did last season, he’s not a scorer like Andrew obviously but he’s very capable of filling in from time to time.
    We’ll have to wait & see obviously but I think analysts will all be singing a different tune concerning our back court come seasons end.

7. Teachable Mo'
    4:15 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

A place that blogs for viewership has a problem understanding Artificial Controversies?

I don’t believe it.

8. tom
    4:16 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

That is a head scratching comment. Perhaps he was talking about overall team chemistry which, as we all know, the Cats missed sorely last year.

All the teams above UK have proven, experienced back courts. Let’s let the Twins take a collegiate dribble before we anoint them. They certainly have the talent to be among the best in college basketball. I’ll wait until they get some games under their belt.

9. Ain't no thang
    4:17 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Don’t sweat it BBN, the only numbers we’ll care about at the end of the season are #1 and #9!

10. CatFan
    4:17 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Well I guess now we know who is spreading the chemistry issues.

11. KELLY GOODWIN
    4:19 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

2 words… JULIUS RANDLE

12. NotTheRealTurkeyHunter
    4:22 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

**SIDE NOTE**
    There were times when Jarrod Polson was our most valuable player last season (cough, cough…Maryland game). I understand he’s not a McDonald’s A-A, (and I’m not saying he’s about to start) but the guy can play when he has too. Tell me what team wouldn’t want a 4th year senior PG scrapping around with all of this Freshman backcourt talent.

13. Louisville1Cal4
    4:25 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

@8 while I can’t comment on Memphis, who does OK St return in their backcourt besides Smart?
    Also, UofL only returns Smith, 1 man doesn’t account for a proven/experienced back court, that requires a team returning their 1 & 2 guards. Smith is legit though so he does at least give them a boost in returning experience at least, but Jones/Rozier are just as inexperienced as the the Twins & less talented too. Not knocking them, they should be good but the Twins are 6’5 a piece & NBA ready too.

14. tom
    4:26 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Louisville1Cal4 – Memphis has Geon Johnson and Joe Jackson returning. dd to that a solid transfer from Mizzou named MichaelDixon. He avgd14 or 15 for Missouri two years ago. ANd I like your sername!

15. J in Orlando
    4:32 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

CBS is now in the trolling business…they go out of their way not to pick the obvious choices

16. Bobbysueflay
    4:32 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Any chance young could end up starting over Arron?

17. Bobbysueflay
    4:34 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Or if Alex sucks it up again this year

18. Ashland
    4:47 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

11 and 17, the conversation is about backcourt so Alex and Julius aren’t in the equation. Secondly, who really cares about a pre-season backcourt ranking anyway?

19. This is Tom Foolery
    4:49 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Jarrod Polson has become a pretty solid college basketball player. He isn’t the fastest or most athletic, but he impressed me on more than one occasion last year. If Cal needs to send a message to Andrew and starts Polson, I have total confidence that he could hold his own. I LOVE having reserve guys like him on the roster.

20. UK
    4:49 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

People are gonna say chemistry issues because that’s the only thing they can tell themselves to be able to sleep at night. Because once the season starts they wont have many excuses.

21. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    4:55 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Reeks of trollin’

22. NotTheRealTurkeyHunter
    4:55 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

19) Ditto. Plus with the frontcourt we have, its not like he’s gonna have a problem getting the ball to someone who can score if that’s asked of him (Polson). There were times last year when I felt the most comfortable with the ball in Jarrod’s hands.

23. Louisville1Cal4
    5:03 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

@14 Ah thanks for the info Tom, I didn’t realize Dixon transferred to Memphis. Let’s see how Pastner handles this team, they should be his most athletic/talented team yet.

24. Catcounsel
    5:08 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

“Ain’t no thang” has got it absolutely right!! At the end of this coming basketball season in the NCAA, Big Blue Nation will have it all!!

25. bmt22033
    5:38 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

#4 knows the real deal…

26. bigcatstanding
    6:15 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

CBS who the hell is that they update their college basketball page twice a year, you would be lucky to pull up CBS college basketball and get rosters or players, and places they are playing get real those people are idiots. #15 you’re dead on ( pretty sure there is some Louisville or Duke/ North Carolina or all of the above alumni running that show. Take this and shape it, Kentucky will have chemistry problems with twin brothers, but Louisville with 3 new midgets coming in from kid College and I guess a chemistry major from high school lol???

27. bigcatstanding
    6:26 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

I have watched all 3 of Louisvilles PGs in action, and if there is a such thing as a ball hog they have three good ones coming in. this is a good thing though just more fuel to the fire and we’ll make December the 28th just that much more of a massacre, my prediction is Kentucky 113 UofL 67 can’t wait.

28. Bobbysueflay
    6:27 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

I was just asking because I would like to see young start. He’s more of a threat scoring then poy. Can shoot and get in the lane. With stein and randle

29. kramer
    6:34 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Just because UK had chemistry issue last year doesn’t mean there will be this year, the ones causing theissues last year are gone.IMO.

30. bigcatstanding
    6:40 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

#8 how can you say louisville has an experienced backcourt when only Smith is returning, and he is average at best in the point guard roll. It’s not like Louisville is just replacing A SG they are without a four year starter, Patino and what he does always takes two to three years for their point guards to shine, I don’t know what the issue is but something for sure is a real problem there.

31. bigcatstanding
    6:47 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

#28 James Young is a tremendous shooter, I have watched several highlights videos on him, and when he shoots three pointers it seems like he’s always 5 feet or more outside the 3 point line, its unreal his range. Here is the problem though people underestimate brothers and their chemistry, I can remember when I traveled with a group of guys and played basketball in old school gyms all over the state, we went to play at a gym in Morgan, and there were five brothers all of which barely was 5 foot 8, and those guys were tremendous because they always knew where each other we’re at all times. We played them like 3 times that year and never got close to beating them. I guess my point is it will be hard for young to start a head off Aaron.

32. bigcatstanding
    6:52 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

#18 I guess you care you’re on here responding also, I think the Julius Randle comment is because Randle can handle the ball almost as good as any point guard in the league. hell I just made a funny Randle the handle.

33. katfantoo
    8:26 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

I am hoping the ” Che MYSTERY ” issue has left the building . I am also of the opinion that with Randle bein a LEAD-DAWG the others will follow suit or sit . Also believe that the site was ” trollin “

34. Wi Tu Hi
    9:14 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Russ Smith does not have PG experience. He was such a ball hog that RickyP has taken him out of games the last 2 years if he was not making crazy shoots.
    Overall you can worry about UK’s team chemistry, but backcourt chemistry should not be a problem.

35. come ones
    9:43 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

If reaching in or “chickenwing” from behind were called, Russ Smith would foul out midway in the first half.
    I anxiously await watching the Harrison’s and Young bouncing Smith off their butts like a gnat.

36. Jeffrey
    11:36 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

This is the biggest joke ever, Louisville brings in two new PG’s, only returns Smith.

Memphis wasn’t any good last season.
    And OK St. is justified.

37. Cats+Cal=victory
    11:41 pm September 5, 2013 Permalink

Who really gives one whit what CBSSports.com’s Jeff Borzello and Matt Norlander think? You just wasted your ink writing giving their opinions any credence. They will learn who has the best back court as soon as the season begins.

38. Beau
    9:00 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

Who cares what these two douche’s have to say anyway… The last place I ever turn to read quality sports news is cbs sports…. Just saying. I’ll take the Harrison Twins over any back court 1,2 combo in the nation. Add James Young to the mix and that is crazy talent. I can’t wait to cheer these guys on! Twinners Baby! Go Big Blue!