Can Alex redshirt? Yes.

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Alex Poythress’ immediate plans are certain: surgery and rehab; however, the long-term plans are still up in the air. A lot of you guys have been asking whether or not Alex is eligible for a medical redshirt, and yes, he is. To qualify for a medical redshirt, a player must have played in less than 30% of the team’s games that season. UK is ten games in, but fortunately, Alex sat two of those games out due to illness, and therefore falls under the NCAA cutoff for medical redshirt applications.

Whether or not Alex will take that route becomes the big question. He’s on track to graduate after this season, and if he did return, he could even start work on his masters; however, that’s a lot to ask for a player who’s deferred the NBA once already.

For now, just heal.

19 Comments for Can Alex redshirt? Yes.

1. Tltaworl
    10:46 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Apply for it, and if you go pro don’t use it. He has another year of eligibility either way. Doubt there is a case where we see him for two more seasons after this one.

2. DT in DC
    10:57 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Exactly. Apply for it and keep it as an option. He could start on his PhD! LOL!

3. Dubowski
    11:03 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

I would be cool for him to be a senior before he leaves. Have a senior night and everything.

4. Sublem
    11:22 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

Apply for it, chances are, this drops him lower on the draft board, he’ll be back for his Sr season.

5. 1war
    11:22 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

He cant apply for a medical hardship until after his senior season.

• Catsby80
      12:12 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

it isn’t a hardship… it’s a redshirt. 2 different things.

• 1war
      12:42 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

2 different things because a “medical hardship” actually exist, there is no such thing as a “medical redshirt”. Alex would have to apply for a medical hardship after his senior year if he so chooses. Do some research before you speak of things you know nothing about.

• Catsby80
      12:56 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

calm down, troll. i didn’t say that a hardship doesn’t exist… i was commenting on what you said because in no way, shape, or form was a hardship mentioned in the article and thus, your medical hardship comment was not contributing to the conversation whatsoever. somebody needs to take their medication this morning. geez!

• 1war
      1:00 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

The medical hardship comment contributed because that’s is what Alex would have to apply for ,there is no such thing as a medical redshirt. You said in your reply, “it’s a redshirt” which is incorrect.

• BigBlueBoom
      1:05 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

Good lord, you two. Semantics. A medical hardship is commonly known as a medical redshirt. So Catsby is wrong that they are two different things, but 1war doesn’t have to be such a d*ck. I’ve been reading up and I haven’t found anything that says he has to wait until his senior season to apply. Before you start calling me names, I’m not saying you are wrong, I’m just wondering where that info came from because I can’t find it. Peace.

• Catsby80
      1:10 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

I will apologize for I misspoke. “Redshirt” and “hardship” are interchangeable when discussing this situation. However, I, too, was searching for this senior year rule and was unable to find any documentation of where that rule exists. I was under the impression that he would be able to apply for a redshirt/hardship at the season’s end.

• BigBlueBoom
      1:14 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

The only thing that I saw that mentioned being a senior was that if you are a senior in high school you wait until after the year to apply so that it goes into effect your freshmen year of college. But I saw nothing that said those already in college had to wait until after their senior year.

6. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am December 12, 2014 Permalink

I think he will be back next year. As was said, this could affect his draft stock negatively, even though Cal ran the NBA combine early in the year. Alex could spend the next year rehabbing that knee, hit the weights and get stronger, and work on some go-to offensive moves and a consistent 3-point shot. If he does that, and has a great senior season, he could elevate his stock back into the first round. If he really explodes, and he will have the opportunity to showcase his talents with all of the players likely to leave, it is not out of the question to see him in the lottery round. This could end up being a really good thing for Alex disguised as a really bad thing.

• Casper
      12:04 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

ditto. totally correct.

7. ukbradstith
    12:12 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

Alex is not an NBA player. That’s why he is already low second round. This knocks him out altogether.

• DelrayCat
      12:43 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

True, Alex likely will not be drafted now. But he could definitely get a chance as an undrafted free agent, find the “right fit”, and have an Udonis Haslem like career in the NBA.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:53 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

EAD, you troll phaggot.

8. ukbradstith
    4:05 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

I wish he could be udonis haslim. He really needs to come back, really, really work on his skill set. If he just plays nuts every second he is out there maybe he could work his way back into NBA draft boards.

9. msnthrop
    4:06 pm December 12, 2014 Permalink

I’m relatively sure I read here he was on track to graduate in May. If he took the redshirt would he have to be in a Master’s program next year to still be able to play?