Cam’Ron Fletcher commits to Florida State

Cam’Ron Fletcher has a new home. The former Kentucky Wildcat just announced on social media he is committing to Florida State. He chose the Seminoles over several programs, including LSU, USC, UCLA, Washington, St. Mary’s, San Diego State, Oklahoma State, Marquette, Georgetown and Tennessee.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by cfletche (@camron)

Fletcher told 247 Sports’ Travis Branham that he liked Leonard Hamilton and the staff’s honest approach and how they develop wings.

“I chose Florida State because coach Hamilton and coach CY [Charlton Young] were straight up honest with me,” he said. “Coming in they’re not promising me anything and it was the best situation to help build my name back up from the perspective that I am. I just feel like coach Hamilton and CY can help get my name back up to show that I am not this type of person so I didn’t just pick my school off basketball but will help me mature into a young grown man.”

“I see myself fitting in well,” said Fletcher. “It’s the type of system that I need to be in. They produce big wings with my size so I feel like coach Hamilton can get me to where I want to go and I feel like it’s a good situation for me not because of basketball but because his name is big in the basketball world so GMs will listen to him as he tells them what type of kid I am.”

[247 Sports]

Fletcher entered the transfer portal in March after one season at Kentucky. He appeared in eight games with one start and scored 15 points, grabbed 15 rebounds, had five steals and shot 53.8% from the field.

“Although this season did not go the way any of us wanted to, being a part of the Kentucky men’s basketball program has been a great experience,” Fletcher said at the time. “I would like to thank all of my coaches and teammates and especially the Big Blue Nation for making my time here so special. I grew so much this season, not only on the court but as a man and I’ll be forever thankful for this opportunity. However, with careful thought and consideration, my family and I have decided it is in my best interest to explore other options and enter my name into the transfer portal.”

“Cam came so far as a teammate and as a player this season,” John Calipari said. “He improved in all areas and I wish he would have had more opportunities to show everything he worked on. He matured as a person this season and I know he will have great success in whatever path he chooses. I support his decision and I will do anything to help him with his career.”

Best of luck to Fletcher in Tallahassee.

[247 Sports]

30 Comments for Cam’Ron Fletcher commits to Florida State

1. mashman 93
    3:31 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Congratulations Cam’Ron!!!

2. JT55
    3:37 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Perfect fit. Good luck to him.

3. Bluehender
    3:39 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Good luck to him…

4. pbjuk
    3:43 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Aw naw he di-INT dough.

• Johnnyringo11
      5:09 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

This idiot again.

• pbjuk
      6:33 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

I should have been dead, but I’m still breathing. Do I smell puzzy? Naw that’s Johnny.

• Johnnyringo11
      6:53 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

No ur the wise a$$ who made the Herro Sestina comments about Cals daughters. Came out of ur moms basement again i see.

5. MississippiBlue
    3:57 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

I would’ve look to keep him and for him to get more run at UK. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but there was clearly an attitude issue during the season. Hopefully he grows as a person, and can come to grips with the part he played in his lack of success/playing time at UK.

• relax_itsmyopinion
      4:47 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

This kid will be a defensive nightmare for the ACC in years to come. Absolutely agree with JT55, this is the perfect fit for him. Obviously he is super intelligent and well thought out this decision.

6. StuckinLville
    4:43 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

He was playing well for us and I cant blame him for being upset when getting benched while Boston was getting minutes and not being productive; however. acting like a baby on the bench did him no favors. I commend him for sticking out the semester like a man though. I think he really grew up and wish nothing but the best for him.

7. relax_itsmyopinion
    4:48 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

8. deputy24-7
    5:01 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Beginning to get the feeling we are not going to get anyone from the transfer portal or just signing as a freshman. It was hyped up to be a busy week for UK basketball and so far it has been quiet except for the 2 assistants leaving

• nocode96
      5:26 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

I mean, dude, we have our women’s volleyball playing for a title and a live tragically and violently ended in shocking fashion and you’re going to pull this card? Transfers is the furthest thing from anyone involved in UK Athletics minds right now. College basketball isn’t life, some of y’all would do well to realize that.

• stx1968
      8:10 am April 24, 2021 Permalink

@deputy I agree. Look, this is all tragic but Terrence made his decision to run a red light going 80 in a 45. I’m just thankful his decision didn’t take any innocent lives, this could have easily been a much worse situation.

That being said- John Calipari is being paid ~$9m/year to win basketball games, not be a grief counselor. He just turned in a 9 win season, he can’t be going to LA. Terrence’s mother has plenty of support- 3 other kids, 3 baby fathers, etc etc. We only have one coach and we desperately need him to do his job.

• Bluehender
      8:38 am April 24, 2021 Permalink

stx…you are one sick puppy..

9. just a guy
    5:22 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

The last couple transfers leavening said some interesting things. He said he didn’t choose FSU for basketball alone, but to help rebuild his name and to prove he’s not who he was portrayed to be. Said the NBA scouts would be told he’s not a bad kid. Sounds like he’s saying Cal gave him a raw deal, made him look like the villain.

• MississippiBlue
      6:14 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

I think it’s obvious that the team had a locker room issue. I’m not saying it was all on Fletcher, but if Cal had to send a kid home it must’ve been bad.

• Wilfred Smith
      6:31 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Notice he made it all about himself. Lots of “me” and “I” in that statement.

• peaches76
      6:58 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

I’m pretty certain Cal was “straight up honest” with him during his recruitment. UK not for everyone, earn playing time, etc. I guess he decided to be more attentive to the message this time around?

• Ryan Lemonds Toupee
      12:02 am April 24, 2021 Permalink

^this^

10. VirginiaCat
    6:52 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

It will be interesting to see how his new coaches manage him versus his experience at Kentucky. I just hope we don’t have another Juzang situation where a player leaves UK and blossoms with a different program.

• ClutchCargo
      7:22 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

So you hope he didn’t learn some valuable life lessons during his time at UK, and then take advantage of that and reach his potential with a fresh start. Just stop with the passive-aggressive BS already.

11. JDid
    7:41 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

GO CATS! Prosperous well-wishes for exceeding both yourn & Coach Hamilton’s expectations.
    May the road rise to meet you,
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,…..

12. VirginiaCat
    8:17 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Hey Clutch. Love it when people boldly use terms that they don’t fully understand and apply incorrectly, i.e., “passive aggressive.” You’re the best.

• ClutchCargo
      9:09 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Anything to brighten your day and distract you from your agenda, VagCat. 😀

13. SuperTroy18
    9:24 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Good luck to him. Hope he beats up on UL, Puke and UNC every season he’s there.

• ClutchCargo
      9:29 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

Agree. And I think he is poised to do that with his attitude seemly right and playing in a system that better fits his skillset.

14. FinnaGoHAM
    11:12 pm April 23, 2021 Permalink

I applaud the young man for having the courage to come back to the team, the resilience to stay with and support his teammates when he was riding the pine, and the maturity to leave with class. Nothing but respect and good wishes.

15. Looother
    2:01 am April 24, 2021 Permalink

My sources say good luck to him. Leonard Hamilton is likely to put up with a lot less BS than Cal did with this immature kid…

16. Buffalo Cat
    12:35 pm April 24, 2021 Permalink

I have no doubt he will be an excellent contributor to Florida State.