Cal’s flag comments really got people talking today

In case you’ve been off social media all day, on this morning’s SEC Basketball Summer Teleconference, Jerry Tipton asked John Calipari whether or not he believes the Confederate flag and statues of Confederate generals should be displayed across the South.

The question understandably caught Cal off guard, and he responded that, even though the state of Kentucky doesn’t display the Confederate flag, he believes it should come down. He later clarified those remarks in a post on social media, saying he doesn’t think there is any question that the flag should be taken down.

As you might imagine, Cal’s remarks led to quite a few responses on his Facebook page (almost 800 as of this post). Most of them aren’t worth reposting here, but some are pretty entertaining. Here’s a small sample…

Some fans agreed with Cal:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.01Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.29Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.07

Some fans may not have agreed with Cal, but respected his right to express his opinion:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-12.55

Some people think he needs to STICK TO BASKETBALL. (These people probably say the same thing about KSR.)

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.30 Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.32Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-4.07

Whoa, John, harsh.

This person clearly didn’t understand the situation:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.34

This person is lost:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-4.12

These fans reserved their fire for Jerry Tipton:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-2.31 Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.14

These fans think Cal “doesn’t get it” because he’s from the North:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-4.104 31

This guy thinks Cal should be fired:

This one thinks Cal’s a sheep:

Some fans wondered why the uproar since Kentucky doesn’t fly the Confederate flag:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.18 Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.22

While we’re at it, Steve wants to hear Cal’s response to this civil matter:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-2.28

I’d like to hear that, too.

This fan has the right idea, but the wrong media affiliation and the incorrect use of “nefarious”:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-12.57

I think you’re going for “notorious,” Wanda, but good job, good effort.

These fans are so upset they’re going to root for Louisville now:

Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-4.062

Speaking of flags… Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.05Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-2.38Screen-Shot-2015-06-29-at-1.08

For some reason, David Timothy’s response really makes me laugh.

26 Comments for Cal’s flag comments really got people talking today

1. Ignorant fans
    7:13 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Sometimes I don’t understand KY fans. This is Jerry Tipton’s fault for bringing up a totally irrelevant question and putting Coach Cal in a bad spot. No matter his opinion, he had no choice but to answer the question the way he did. If he responded in support of the flag, how well do you think he would do in recruiting in years to come? All the best players are predominantly African-American. If he went on record in support of that flag (and what most people incorrectly think it stands for) it would be used against him (and UK basketball) for the rest of his career. Everybody needs to chill and get off his back. Go blast Jerry Tiptons dumba$$!!

• Ha!
      7:18 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Thats the problem with social media: any asshole or idiot with a computer or smartphone can get on there and say whatever they want.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am June 30, 2015 Permalink

I have never understood the south’s love of the confederate flag.

2. Ha!
    7:15 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Watch the grammar deteriorate the further you scroll down! Hahaha!

Jeff N Jennifer take the cake. Unreal.

• JoeMoney333
      8:08 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

It actually hurts to read.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am June 30, 2015 Permalink

I mentally correct it in my head. No wonder China is winning. Most Americans don’t know the difference between your and you’re.

3. Can Americans Even Spell Irony?
    7:16 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

For those folks telling Cal to “stick to basketball” may I suggest the next time you think about expressing your unsolicited opinions on Facebook you should instead “stick to the drive-thru!!”.

• P.S.
      7:18 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

I apologize as that was unfair to drive-thru workers. Especially the ones who give me the correct order.

4. Dustin
    7:23 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Lets be honest, what was he supposed to say?

5. Ukalum92
    7:23 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

What is really sad is that I’m sure that 90 percent of the people commenting have never stepped on Kentucky’s campus. They cling on to the university for some type of state pride but as soon as they open their mouths it’s obvious they were not educated by the university I love. As an African American graduate of UK it angers me that I have to be associated with the ignorance I have seen displayed today.

6. inside info2
    7:26 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

The facebook comments are much milder than I expected but the terrible grammar is exactly what I expected

7. Cincy Cayt
    7:53 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky was sympathetic to the Union. There were Confederate sympathizers, but they were not close to the majority. Therefore, Cal talking about removing their flag is actually a pro-KY idea.

• DaveUK
      8:39 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

There was a sharp difference between the Union sentiment in the legislature and the people at large.

Most families were divided, with men choosing either North or South. Governor Magoffin favored secession but tried to keep the state neutral as long as possible. He once even refused to send troops that Lincoln requested to try to keep Kentucky from choosing sides.

Kentucky also had a Confederate shadow government, with an ordinance of secession drafted in Oct 1861 that was adopted by delegates from 68 of the 110 counties. Because Kentucky was such a strategic area, many battles were fought all over the Commonwealth and just south of the border in Tennessee, so the Confederate heritage runs strong along the southern portion of the state.

Cal was in a no-win situation with that question. I bet Tipton has been giddy all afternoon that he pushed such a hot button.

• Cincy Cayt
      9:04 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

True. I just wonder why I should take pride in the Confederacy in 2015 when my state’s Governor preferred neutrality over supporting it in the 1860’s. Hypothetically speaking of course, since a lot of my family didn’t even come to the U.S. until a generation after the Confederacy existed…

• HistoryHal
      10:09 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky was admitted to the Union as a Slave State.

8. clancyhat
    8:25 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Not to change the subject but in case you’re interested – UK vrs Louisville BB replay on ESPNU at 8:30

9. Bret
    8:44 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Tipton is a terrible journalist and tries to create drama to help hide the fact that he knows nothing about the sport he is paid to write articles about. So first off….Fuck Tipton.

Secondly, Coach Cal is absolutely entitled to his opinion and to express it when he has to answer endless amounts questions from reporters over 100+ a year.

Third, to the people bashing Coach Cal or even going as far as switching allegiances to another school. Shut the fuck up, seriously get with the times. Yes, I understand the history and the significance of the flag and the uses of it, but I am not naive enough to believe that the actual meaning it has become associated with presently is much different. There are too many groups that have caused the meaning of the confederate flag to change to a negative impression that at this point in time it is difficult to associate anything positive to it at all. Accept that it shouldn’t be displayed in official state owned property and move on with your life.

Display it all you want and defend it all you want on your own property.

10. Andy
    9:14 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Coach Cal is right as is the ol ball coach down in SC. Some ppl just haven’t moved along with the times.

• JohnV
      12:09 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

Oddly enough, nefarious is actually grammatically correct, but you expect the word “notorious” in that situation. I sincerely doubt she meant to use “nefarious”.

11. JLP
    10:21 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

Tyler, you owe Wanda an apology. Her use of nefarious actually makes better sense than notorious. Nefarious means an evil or wicked act – Jerry putting Cal on the spot was not a benign act, but a WICKED act.

• Plus One
      10:51 pm June 29, 2015 Permalink

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am June 30, 2015 Permalink

Based on context, no. She should have used notorious which also has a negative connotation, but would be grammatically correct.

12. RealCatsFan
    8:45 am June 30, 2015 Permalink

So now Cal has to put up with all of the lunatic fringe of BBN being stirred up because of Jerry Tickturd’s carefully planned question. If I were Cal I would have told Jerry to stuff a Confederate flag up his ass sideways. I can’t believe this asshole is still working for the HL. If he worked for the CJ and asked Pitino the same question, Jurich would have his ass on the bottom of the Ohio river in concrete shoes.

13. BiggestBlueFan
    10:45 am June 30, 2015 Permalink

It is at this very point that I finally understand why many people associate racism with UK. I have defended it for the last time.

For those who say that the meaning of the flag is misunderstood it must be realized that the meaning/representation of something is based on what people believe it to mean. What something originally stood for or represented doesn’t prevent it from being changed to mean something completely different. The Confederate flag represents RACISM among other things.

Now, for the ignorant people who want to reference the original meaning of the flag to justify keep it raised, it think it ought to be noted that the Confederate flag is Anti-American. For those who support or raise the flag, you need to dig a hole and jump in it.

Every negative thing that I have ever heard about UK, but always took as people joking or hating on us, now makes complete sense.

I have seen and heard a lot of hateful and racist things while at the games over the years. I suppressed them. Laughed them off. We have made fun of Louisville fans in ways that have have definitely had racist undertones. But I laughed it off.

Now I truly get it. It’s ok for them to play for us. But that’s where it ends. Adolph Rupp’s spirit lives on.

14. George
    10:49 am June 30, 2015 Permalink

I wish the whack pack fans of the BBN would leave for another team. It’s truly amazing that in 2015, so many brains still function with such little thought.

15. JohnV
    12:12 pm June 30, 2015 Permalink

If he succeeds in alienating a portion of our fanbase who supports flying the confederate flag on government buildings, I think that’s excellent. Let the ignorant rednecks cheer for someone else! We’ve gotten a bad reputation for having racist fans, and the comments on facebook have done little to prove otherwise.