Calipari’s New “Tweak” is a “Reboot”

@UKSportsNetwork

@UKSportsNetwork

Don’t call it a tweak.  John Calipari is calling his plan to turn the season around a “reboot.”

It shares similarities and differences with the what happened in 2014.  The biggest difference: “In 2014 we weren’t any good.”  Calipari saw good things from his team earlier in the season.  The trick of the reboot is getting back to what worked.

The process began by giving the players Sunday off.  “I needed time to really evaluate where this has gone in the last three weeks and why I believed it happened,” he shared on his call-in show.

This morning they met before class and Calipari asked them, “What has changed from three weeks (ago)?  Tell me what has changed.”

Since their meeting, things are looking up.  “Today was good and there were a lot of players smiling.  And when they’re smiling, that means they’re playing together.”  It was an indirect shot to all of the haters, but that wasn’t enough.  He needed to directly address those questioning his players’ will to win.

“What are you talking about?….Those are the people who think this is 1960 and kids stay four years,” he said.  “(They’re) Good kids. Unselfish kids who want to win.  You know what?  They don’t know how yet.”

“The players aren’t gonna fix this themselves.” Calipari wants to take the blame.  “All of this comes back to me.”  Now he’s trying to teach them to play with patience.  “That’s the hardest thing to teach them.”

Calipari was prepared to defend his players.  He was willing to give fans some optimism with a reboot, but just like the tweak, he didn’t specifically define the reboot.  The only details he shared about the reboot that will turn this team around:

“My hope is you’re gonna watch and say, ‘I see a difference.'”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

15 Comments for Calipari’s New “Tweak” is a “Reboot”

1. kentuck1
    7:00 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

They looked like a 40-0 team at the beginning of the season. Then they slowly changed? They seemed to be playing really good defense early on, also. And they ran like race horses.

2. Ken Grizzle
    7:04 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

No doubts here. Get em back on track as only you can. Go Blue.

3. Luether
    7:31 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

In God we trust. All others bring data…

4. maximumscott
    8:36 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I think Cal thinking they needed to change was the issue. He was trying to get Bam involved more for a true low post presence and since that point its been different. I think there will be segments of games where its important to go down low, but i think they players maybe were forcing it thinking inhave to do this all game. Instead of playing, they were thinking. I bet he looks at the guards and says drive penetrate run at all cost if the post is there hit it if not dont worry about it. FOX AND briscoe can get into the lane usually when they want. Bam is a big that can run with the guards so i think that was the biggest change. I bet you see a faster paced team with less to think about and playing better that gives confidence which improves play. Then they become happier together and play as a unit. CAL is a genius with figuring out what went wrong and how to right the ship. He has done it several times and it always works. The patience thing is true especially in tight game situations but i think that will come.

5. ClutchCargo
    9:43 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

It’s going to suck to be LSU tomorrow night.

• RealCatsFan
      9:54 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Probably already sucks to be LSU, especially with Johnny Jones coaching them.

6. unbridled
    10:15 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

The only question I have is…were the cats really playing that great earlier in the season, or were they playing really bad teams. I can only remember 1 quality win against UNC and that was because Monk was career high on fire. He likely won’t have a repeat performance like that for quite some time. I can’t make up my mind if the cats have regressed or they are just playing better competition.

• unbridled
      10:17 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m really worried that this team just isn’t that good.

• Arch Stanton
      4:53 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Yeah…unfortunately I think it’s the latter. We have one quality win this year and like you said, it’s only because Monk went bonkers.

• kenny
      7:24 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

I understand what you are saying, but I can see a differed in this team from early season. Hell Michigan st is better than Georgia, and they had no problem with them. Maybe m wishful thinking, but I home e I’m right.

7. KYcats11
    10:15 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Called it first. Tomorrow night will be the largest amount of points a team has won by in Sec history.

8. mikeintn
    10:51 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know if they are playing better competition now, but IMO they was playing with a lot more effort, especially on the defensively end.

9. Don Kean
    11:02 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I think we have to give Cal a chance on this. In 4 of 7 years we have gotten to the final four. Barring the 2009 season where we should have made the final four. Cal took two teams to final fours that I gave little chance to get their as the seasons wore on. And the Julius Randle team looked very out of sync all year, losing games to very average teams at home.and in some games on the road they were handled soundly. Then suddenly they got better and better with each game and went all the way to the final. Cal eventually and very often seems to find the right buttons to push with a lot of his players and teams. We must wait and see and hope. Just sayin.

• unbridled
      11:19 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Cal gets all the time he wants. He’s earned it. He has consistently proven his ability and we are lucky to have him. To think otherwise is simply ignorant. I don’t think the recent down hill slide has ANYTHING to do with coaching.