Calipari would love to coach LeBron but timing isn’t on their side

cal-lebron

The Plain Dealer in Cleveland interrupted Calipari’s Florida vacation this morning with a phone interview. The topic of discussion? Coaching LeBron James in the NBA.

Cal said he would love to, but now is not the time.

“Are you kidding me?” the University of Kentucky coach said in a telephone interview on Wednesday morning.  “Have a chance to coach the best player in the world? Yes, I would love to coach him. But what’s happened is our careers are criss-crossing without crossing.”

I’m not in a position where I would leave Kentucky right now. I’m not sure whether this is his last contract, or his next-to-last contract. But I would tell you if I had a chance to, I would absolutely.”

Cal also said they have never discussed it and it doesn’t appear it will happen as they both get older.

Read the story here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for Calipari would love to coach LeBron but timing isn’t on their side

1. Musehobo
    1:14 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I would never wish an injury on a player. But I can wish an early retirement!

2. jaxcats8503
    1:21 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

That picture has to be from Cal’s first summer in Lexington, right? He’s so thin!

• Given how thin Cal is
      1:46 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

the picture is definitely from his first year.

3. Michael F. Jox
    1:21 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

coach the player that can carry whatever team he’s on to at least the conference finals by himself? sure, why not.

here’s how you coach lebron – “whatever you wanna do, my man”

4. Michael F. Jox
    1:25 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

And word is James Beetle Bolden just commited to West Virginia.

5. Memphis North
    1:26 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cal, I’m not sure LeBron requires much “coaching”, which would be great for you, considering.

• Fruit stand customer
      1:34 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Man, those are some SOUR grapes!

• Memphis North
      1:38 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Seriously? BBN, at least the fans that know basketball, can see that Cal really isn’t much of a coach. Great (self) promoter and recruiter, no doubt. Can’t argue with that. Great COACH? That is laughable.

• True Story
      1:45 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Had a retort. Gonna withhold it because you don’t feed the trolls. Suffice it to say: You’re an idiot who knows nothing about coaching basketball.

• Memphis North
      1:57 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

True Story: I know more about anything than you’ll ever know. And I am a Kentucky fan. Just not a fan of smoke and mirrors and NCAA sanctions waiting to happen.

• Mc
      2:14 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I would agree that Cal isn’t the best X’s and O’s coach out there. However, he is still a good coach. I’ll take the word over other college coaches ahead of yours any day of the week. He took UMass to a Sweet 16 in 1992 with marginal talent. He then took UMass to a Final 4. Don’t give me this it was vacated crap. He still took UMass to the Final 4. That’s impressive. He has never been implicated. Did he know Camby took $28k from agents? How would he know? If he did he should have reported it. Should Coach K have known about Lance Thomas’ jewelry issue? Is Coach K a great coach? How come he couldn’t get this year’s Duke team past Mercer when it was loaded with talent? Maybe he should have just rolled the ball out there instead of trying to coach them??

• Memphis North
      2:21 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Yes, Coach K is a great coach and a prick too.
      But don’t try to make a case that Cal is a great coach. He’s not and that’s no big secret.

• Mc
      2:24 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m saying he’s a good coach and a great recruiter. You’re saying he can’t coach and is a great recruiter, which I will counter with his UMass teams. Especially the 1992 team that finished 30-5, and made the Sweet 16 with hardly any talent. I also think he coached the 1996 team to a Final 4. Maybe you think this was just great recruiting and no coaching? Or maybe you feel he was a good coach and has regressed?

• Fruit stand customer
      2:27 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

MC – you don’t even have to go back that far, just look at last year’s team in conference play when they lost to SC vs the same team in March when they went on an absolute tear against excellent competition. I’d contend if WCS doesn’t have that stress fracture, the UConn game ends very differently.

• Mc
      2:29 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I agree Fruit. I think with WCS they win it all since they would have had a rim protector against UConn. However, for people like Memphis North, they’ll say it was because of the talent and not the coaching. Using UMass as an example shows that he has to have some coaching skills since he succeeded without much talent.

• lonnieb
      2:55 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

A little nugget most people dont know. Cal only had 5 FIVE STAR players EVER prior to uk. He was pretty successful prior to uk as well. He obviouly was a decent coach

• Not Memphis North
      3:00 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

but… but…. that fact damages my belief system that Cal is an inferior coach, and if I’m wrong about that then I cannot possibly be perfect and thus superior to all of you pathetic jerks, which would make me at least as pathetic and jerk-like!!

• theWilkman
      3:47 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I guess Memphis North knows more about basketball than Seth Davis, Jay Bilas, Seth Greenberg, countless others, who have spoken of Cal’s coaching ability. I’m glad we have you here to enlighten us.

• Spot on lonnieb
      7:05 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

There is quite a bit of “misremembering” surrounding Cal’s recruiting prior to his hiring at UK. While he was always an excellent recruiter the classes he hauled in then weren’t even in the same arena as those he can now accumulate with the Cats. Apparently though for the haters it’s much easier to just pretend he pulled in top five classes his entire career then rolled out the ball.

6. Tony Walden
    1:27 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Calipari should just try to become the U.S. Olympics coach in 2020 when Coach K is done.An extra championship or two at Kentucky won’t hurt his chances. LeBron will be getting up there in age but he might still be a top 5 player and Cal would get to coach whoever is the best player in the NBA by then. which might be one of his own players from Kentucky.

7. DEASY
    1:33 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Is it just me, or was Dominique Hawkins just holding a giant check for winning a dunk contest and now it’s gone? I’m losing it man.

• DEASY
      1:40 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Ok now I am really tripping, I can’t even find the picture on Instagram again. Wtf?

• Drew Franklin
      2:25 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I don’t know what you’re talking about. (Shhhh)

• Paranoid
      2:26 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Don’t fret. Sandy’s got this.

8. Han
    1:40 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cue Wilbon with Lebron and Cal to Lakers as package deal.

9. Bye Bye Cal
    1:41 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

When free agency hits Lebron and Cal could hook up in Cleveland, hate to think about it but could happen. Plus Lebron and Manziel both in Cleveland.

10. Mark Emmert
    2:22 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

WHAAAHAAAHAA! My powerful influence made them delete that post on Air Dominique!!!!!!

11. dumbasses
    2:44 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

To the one or two people on here saying Cal can’t coach, please refer yourselves to the 2014 NCAA tournament. Boom!

• Truth Teller
      6:01 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

You mean the NCAA tournament where they advanced 3 times because of lucky shots, then threw up all over themselves in the finals? That NCAA tournament?

• TheFacts
      7:19 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Yeah. The coach who has owned your Tards and knocked them out of the Tourney twice. That coach.

L1C6, bitch.

12. Not Dan Issel
    2:46 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I would rather see Cal coaching one or both of Lebron’s kids at UK!

13. tom
    3:24 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

DAMMMM,,Cal wants to coach Lebron over Kentucky?Don’t like the sound of this

14. Truth Teller
    5:59 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Has to hurt the Big Blue Nation knowing their savior might choose Cleveland over Lexington.

• TheFacts
      7:20 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Has to hurt the Tard Nation knowing their savior gets completely owned by the coach down the road in Lexington.

15. kingrex
    6:15 am May 15, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, it bothers me that he so quickly threw us under the bus for LeBron. He has one of the best jobs in the world and yet he would throw it away to coach one guy. The allure to show people he can win it all with LeBron a couple of times would just be too tempting I guess.