Calipari: “We’re not coming to Indiana.”

For the last time, John Calipari has zero interest in renewing the series with Indiana.

It simply ain’t happening, folks.

Calipari reiterated that fact to Rich Eisen earlier this week, telling Eisen, “Other people get involved (and say) you’ve got to come to our place… No, we’re not coming to Indiana.”

More from the radio appearance, from the Indy Star today:

“Home and home is not happening,” Calipari said on “The Rich Eisen Show.” “We talked about playing two years in Indianapolis and they said no. So, those, right now, these schedules are out ahead a couple years. It may be in the future. There may be something in the future.”

A lot of people out there want to see the rivalry renewed, namely our good buddy Oscar Combs, but Calipari is not having it. At least not in Bloomington.

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Calipari: “We’re not coming to Indiana.”

1. abobicesaevior
    2:16 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

It’s best to avoid that cracker box gym with poor security. Too much at stake for our players to risk their futures.

2. daveUK1
    2:24 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

The last time we played there was an absolute disaster. Poor security, UK fans harrassed in bars and restaurants. The rivalry brings out the worst in Indiana fans. They upgrade from regular assholes to complete and out of control assholes. I completely support Cal in never visiting that backwoods hell hole ever again.

3. az1006
    2:32 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

I went to Bloomington for the game with the John Wall group and really didn’t have any problems, outside of a few snide remarks from passersby the night before. Obviously when you get your butt handed to you on a silver platter on your home floor, fans don’t have much to say.

But, I do have some friends that were there for the 2011 game, and they’re experience was totally different. Constant verbal berating prior to, during, and after the game. One fan threw a full beer can at my buddy during the game, and he told me they genuinely were scared as they left the arena after the game.

We gain nothing from putting our players and fans in that sort of environment. So, f*** Indiana.

• Cats or Die
      6:54 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

I had a terrible experience at that game. Every time the their big white guy would shoot a FT on our end of the court my dad and I would scream, “BRICK!” he was like 1/8 and then a lot of other UK fans starting joining in. Their fans went nuts and got the ushers and tried to get us kicked out LOL. Then a kid tried to fight me in the bathroom.

Got back to out car and UK fan with a flag on his car got his car keyed. I HATE IU, THEIR FANS, AND BLOOMINGTON. Hope the Cats never go back.

4. Bill3
    2:37 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

I remember the total lack of class and rude, obnoxious, and offensive treatment of our plays and fans. Winning or losing has nothing to do with being gracious hosts. Sportsmanship was nowhere to be found. No way we should subject ourselves to this shameful treatment.

5. Catlogic15
    2:38 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

Cal remembers Darius Miller getting stomped, and fans getting harassed.
    Cal has our back.

6. Kyblue34
    2:46 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

There really is no benefit of playing true road games in the nonconference schedule, especially for a program like ours. Everything to lose, nothing to gain.

7. runningunnin.454
    2:47 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

What IU doesn’t realize is….we don’t need them.

8. J-Dub421
    2:47 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

From what I’ve heard, IU fans were absolutely nasty to Anthony Davis’ family. That is beyond the pale.

Also, since 1990 (yes I arbitrarily picked that number.) we’ve played IU 24 times. They have only won 7 out of the 24. We won 17 meetings. IU fell from prominence and we ended the series because it wasn’t really a rivalry anymore. Why let IU try to rebuild their reputation on our backs? We have nothing to gain from playing them. Pass.

• catdaddyd
      4:08 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

They have beat us 2 out of the last 3 times.

• J-Dub421
      4:20 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

And? They’re still ranked below us most of the time and can’t even win their own conference.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:31 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

They beat our best team in December at home, we beat their best team in March in the tournament.

• catdaddyd
      9:33 pm November 19, 2016 Permalink

And? You said it wasn’t a rivalry, again they have beat us 2 out of 3.

9. Mathlete
    2:52 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

More often than not, we have nothing to gain even playing Indiana. They’re just now getting back to the point where they’re even in the conversation in the Big Ten again, so we have an opportunity for an average quality win or they get a chance for a marquee win.

They had their heyday, we have new rivalries that are more mutually beneficial.

• runningunnin.454
      3:21 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely, Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, North Carolina, and in the future with UCLA and Indiana’s own Steve Alford.

10. Biglaw Dawgin'
    3:19 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

I’m with Cal here, when that mouth-kissing weirdo wants to fight somewhere other than his own backyard, we’ll throw down. Still, half of me says let’s toss it up wherever they want just so we can beat their ass every year. But the other half of me agrees with Cal that we shouldn’t give into their crybaby demands to play on their home court since they know that’s the only place where they have half a chance to win. The treatment of our fans in recent years gives the edge to Cal’s logic.

11. ukgags86
    3:33 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

I would love to see the series start again but I could care less about home and home. I watched two UK/IU games in person and they were phenomenal experiences. One was in the Hoosier Dome (Lucas Oil now perhaps) and the other was at Freedom Hall. What made it great is that both fan bases traveled and it there was literally half the arena in Kentucky Blue and the other half wearing bad christmas sweaters and imitating barber poles. I thought the neutral but close arenas to both fan bases made the rivalry even better. I am glad that Cal is drawing a line in the sand with UK is not doing home / home and I suspect IU has a similar opinion for neutral vs. neutral. That being said, we are the alpha in this relationship so they should agree to neutral court games and we restart the series of they should piss off.

12. henderblue
    5:00 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

Great comments all the above. Agree completely. We don’t need them. They need us. Screw em

13. EdC
    5:11 pm November 18, 2016 Permalink

It is beyond me why talk show hosts, Duke Vitale, etc. think that they should have any say in who UK plays. The UK program doesn’t owe Duke Vitale anything. Doesn’t owe any general basketball fans who love to hate UK ANYTHING. Certainly don’t owe Indiana ANYTHING.

For what it’s worth, we have won 3 championships since the last time Indiana did. This year we are playing 11 games against teams who have won championships since the last time Indiana did and they all act like they have been there before. If they beat us in December they don’t rush the floor, endanger players, etc. or build shrines to the game. Screw Indiana.