Calipari: “We’re going to be fine”

Somehow, John Calipari found solace in tonight’s loss 66-64 loss to Florida.

“We’re going to be fine now,” Cal said, praising Florida as he counted off Kentucky’s countless mental errors in the final minutes. “We’re going to be fine. I was worried after South Carolina now. I’m not worried after this. We’ll be fine. I was worried after Vanderbilt, to be honest with you. And we won that game. They do this and they stay this course and this is who we are, we’ll be fine.”

Calipari said he was proud of his team for not giving up despite being down by eight early in the first half. Despite their mistakes, he was encouraged by their effort.

“That’s a veteran team and we had our chances,” Cal said of Florida. “I’m saying this: I’m good. I know there are people out there that will be panicked and all this. Be panicked. I’m glad I’m not sitting with you because I am fine. Do we have a ways to go? Yeah. I have to clean up some stuff. but if they don’t share the ball. If they don’t play with a spirit to try to win games, all of that other stuff doesn’t matter. They shared the ball today. They defended pretty well. We defended well enough to win this game. that’s what is disappointing.”

Kentucky did hold Florida, an almost 40% three point shooting team, to 20%, which I guess is something; however, with a big opportunity ahead of them, the freshmen just couldn’t grasp the brass ring. Calipari remains optimistic.

“I thought they did good today,” Calipari said of his freshmen. “I thought they were great. They tried to stay the course and this is heady stuff for them. They were terrific today.

[mobile_ad]

39 Comments for Calipari: “We’re going to be fine”

1. 72uksprinter
    11:03 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

I’ll have what he’s having…

2. BlueDeuce
    11:06 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

WTF?

3. AFR0_SAMURAii
    11:08 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Not if you can’t teach them to use on ball screens correctly and make clean crisp passes Cal… FN Fundamentals… and Mrs TT.. F U

• SanDiegoCats
      11:12 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Chill out dude

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Go to bed, you’re drunk.

• AFR0_SAMURAii
      11:44 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Sober as a bird speaking of birds..

• KYJelly
      10:52 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

Hiding behind that keyboard is fun amiright?

4. unbridled
    11:14 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Coach cal was just giving us some “cal speak.” Regardless, this is 2 consecutive abysmal losses. Just atrocious. I believe in miracles.

5. justaguyinthebackrow
    11:15 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

LOL atrthe spoiled little children on here who don’t remember the years before Cal and childishly think we’d be better without him.

6. Rixter
    11:15 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

hell, after a couple more losses, we’ll be unbeatable!

7. CwoodCat
    11:16 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

I’ll get Cal’s back in most situations…but I can’t believe that he actually believe’s his own words. the first stage of grief is denial…I hope I’m 100% wrong, but nothing about this team seems fine. It’s crazy that 3-4 guy from this team will make the jump to the NBA…NONE of them should go.

• RealCatsFan
      11:33 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Sad thing is, with the exception of Vanderbilt and maybe Washington, I don’t think most of these guys will be THAT much better next year.

8. mikeintn
    11:19 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

What game did he see? I missed it!

9. wildcat2012
    11:20 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Coach Cal and the fan base have different definitions of “fine” but I won’t be complaining if this whole team comes back next year.

10. makeitstop
    11:21 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Is he out of his mind? Or does he think we are just stupid? They were “great?” DUDE YOUR TEAM CAN’T SHOOT and they can’t protect the ball, turning over 16 times each of the last 4 losses! What did they do “great?” Not talk back to u? I get worrying they will start to panic or lose confidence but don’t pee in our face and tell it’s raining that’s just BS. They are clueless on offense and u didn’t have them pound it in the paint when they could’nt stop us. Love ya Cal but sometimes the BS throttle needs to be dialed back a notch, ur red lining it.

• BBNDan7
      7:04 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

You should listen to your name and stop

11. catsby90.1
    11:24 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

No, THEY will be fine when they are making millions next year. We as a program will be mediocre this year until we can figure out how to stop worrying about individual stats and preparing for the draft.

12. rockatao
    11:28 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

It would be nice if UK had an out-of-bounds play and even nicer still if they could defend the other team on one. If you can’t defend an out of bounds play. use a dam zone

• AirForceOne
      2:12 pm January 21, 2018 Permalink

They should always have one big protecting the rim IMO

13. makeitstop
    11:28 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

“We will be fine” I could buy… i don’t see it but that’s why he gets $6m to do this but they were “great” and “terrific” I’m sorry that’s objectively false. Good grief ?

14. RealCatsFan
    11:31 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

From what I saw, we are very lucky that Florida was missing a lot of 3-pt shots that they usually make. A lot of those shots were essentially unguarded – no one within four feet when he shot it. If they make half of those, this game isn’t even close. So I wasn’t really impressed with our defense for much of the game.

15. makeitstop
    11:33 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

You’re right: The OOB plays are a great example… along w turnovers…. u can make excuses but numbers don’t lie, we handle the ball poorly and when we do, we lose. Simple as that. Phil Jackson said “on offense find the open man, on defense stop the ball.” If u aren’t doing either ur team can be called a lot of things but great and terrific don’t make the cut.

16. Blue Bill
    11:35 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Here comes all the keyboard coaches….

• CommonSense5
      12:37 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

Exactly! These people have no clue what they’re watching. Maybe the fans are the reason the biggest recruits are going elsewhere. Who wants to get trashed like this after every game. While this fan base is the best, it’s also the worst.

17. UKfan4TwoDecades
    11:41 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Cal made those compliments to reward those who hustled, played tough, rebounded, and tried. BUT the turnovers, so many unforced, continue to happen. Cal (sadly) has had years of going to the podium/post game press conference after losses, and man he has had soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much talent and if not for one of the greatest players in the world Anthony Davis UK would not of won any NCAA Championships under Cal, and losing – the way we are losing – is torture to watch. Like others have said Cal needs to (a) defend the opponents in bound plays (b) get this team to talk to one another and (c) stop pulling players so fast. An example Sacha who just made a good play and his reward? Going to the bench 2 seconds after.
    This team has a long ways to go and I know this (sadly) won’t be the last loss for UK.
    If Cal can’t coach/get/etc. excellent play on the court consistently then what is going to happen, and it is happening and I fear will get worse, when Cal doesn’t have that talent?

18. 3 fan
    11:48 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Cal’s a damn liar tonight. This team in big trouble. You better figure out how to recruit studs again cause K spanking your ass

19. Lip Man 1
    12:15 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

They will be fine…next season.

20. herm89
    12:25 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

Appreciate the optimism, Cal, but at some point we’re going to have to start turning these moral victories into REAL victories or we’re gonna find ourselves on the outside looking in come March.

21. CombatMedic_98
    2:26 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

This team may not make the NCAA Tourney this year…

22. BBNBRIAN
    8:09 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

How quickly we forget… last years team find their stride until February. Like Cal said, as long as they stay the course. Plus, don’t you think he needs to stay positive when he knows the blowhards of the fan base and media will be bashing these guys after the loss?

23. CatsandPats
    10:25 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

^^^ What he said. Just imagine what a frenzy this fan base would be in if say our head coach threw in the towel? I completely understand the disappointment and complete lack of this team seems to showcase. If you don’t like the way things are shaping up this season, pick up a new hobby if the games are that dismal for you to watch.

24. CatsandPats
    10:26 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

P.S.-Tom Brady plays this afternoon!

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

But his hand will be really sore; may have to let some air out of the ball.

• CatsandPats
      11:16 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

It’s only his 7th year in a row playing in the AFC title game. Even if you dislike the man, you better enjoy this opportunity to watch the GOAT. Once he hangs it up, there will never be another quite like him…especially at age 40.

• runningunnin.454
      4:23 pm January 21, 2018 Permalink

Relax…just a joke. I do enjoy watching him play.

25. KYJelly
    10:53 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

How many times have we watched Cals teams struggle and then peak in March? You all act like you’ve never seen this movie before

26. AirForceOne
    2:17 pm January 21, 2018 Permalink

Does everyone remember the loss a few years ago to South Carolina? The haters were out in full force. The Harrison twins told us then to just watch what they can do…..and by God, they did. These kids are wired differently than us mere mortals, and Calipari has shown us countless times that he can fix this. The season ain’t over yet.