Calipari went on Mike & Mike to further deny Knicks rumors

John Calipari took a break from riding camels and climbing pyramids in Egypt on Friday to place a call into Mike & Mike to dispel rumors and reports that he reached out to the Knicks.

Calipari told the show:

“I can tell you my phone blew up at 4:45 (am) here and I had to tweet out — that’s the thing about social media, you can cut things off when it’s not true — but there’s no one on my behalf that called the Knicks. There may be a college coach who has inquired about it, but it wasn’t me. I called my wife and I said, ‘Was it you?'”

“I’m in Egypt and it’s funny that I get thrown into stuff, even when I am out of the country.”

He then went on to say:

“The reality of it is, I’m coaching at Kentucky. Come on. In my mind I’ve got the best job in the country. It’s been a great opportunity for young people to come in and better themselves and better their lives. It’s an unbelievable stage to challenge them in so many ways. I just can’t see anything out there that I would want to leave for.

Listen to the entire interview with Calipari below via the Mike & Mike podcast.

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Calipari went on Mike & Mike to further deny Knicks rumors

1. cbeard7
    10:14 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

He loves it, no doubt his agent stirred up a little drama. Getting to deny on national television that your interested in the Knicks, even though they don’t want you, is good publicity. Makes the fanbase feel special, inflates his perceived value, and keeps KY in the forefront of the conversation for recruits. He’s the master. Saban used the open Texas coaching job the same way.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      10:30 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

Nailed it! No doubt this was Cals doing. Why would anybody start this rumor? No coach wants to see Cal on ESPN in June talking about recruits, USA Baseketball and throwing recruiting pitches to families. This is how you keep your program relevant.

• gobble gobble
      11:30 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

Highly doubt this was Cal’s doing… you two are reading WAAAY too much into this lol. Cal doesn’t need to plant rumors about himself to keep UK in the news lol… there’re plenty of other ways to do that. And in absolutely NO WAY would this help recruiting. Just think about that for a second… think

• J-Dub421
      12:17 pm June 30, 2017 Permalink

It was likely some opposing coaching staff. They like to throw out rumors like this to try to steal recruits away from Cal.

• playmorezeppelin
      12:50 pm June 30, 2017 Permalink

Cal has to tell his FIBA players (some of whom are UK recruits) that he has to take a call with Mike & Mike to clear the air about a rumor that he’s taking the Knicks job? I imagine that leaves a pretty cool impression on those kids. Wouldn’t surprise me a bit if this was a recruiting tactic.

• Reuben Cuban
      4:50 pm June 30, 2017 Permalink

playmorezeppelin, John Bonham is and was one of my all time favorite drummers (still love Neil Peart and Carter Beauford). 1980 was a tough year for classic rock music fans. And, like the Beatles, Zeppelin music is akin to ice cream, craft beers, or progeny; extremely difficult – if not impossible – to choose that one favorite. But I have to ask: What’s your favorite Zeppelin song?

2. gobble gobble
    11:32 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand the line of thinking there… doesn’t make much sense

3. madarchitect
    11:37 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

FAKE NEWS!!!

4. secrick
    11:38 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

It was Pitino, he’s going to need a job in about a month.

• BlueGrass
      11:47 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

Yep, this was reported on a Ringer podcast as being Pitino.

5. az1006
    11:44 am June 30, 2017 Permalink

This very easily could have been ESPN’s doing…An ESPN NY reporter cites unnamed sources that said Calipari reached out…Whether he did or didn’t is really irrelevant. It’s gotten people talking, it’s gotten countless tweets and clicks, and what’s the harm if the reporter doesn’t provide the source? Idk if Cal did or didn’t reach out, but the fact he so quickly denied the report leads me to believe he had nothing to do with it. But, then again…He’s a master at keeping his name in people’s mouths, for better or worse.

6. Reuben Cuban
    1:25 pm June 30, 2017 Permalink

KENTUCKY Basketball likely has 3 more years of his CALness.

The time is now to begin the search for the proper replacement (hint to Mitch Barnhart and Dr. Eli Capilouto).

7. AllBall
    1:30 pm June 30, 2017 Permalink

Whether Cal orchestrated this or not, he seized the opportunity. Cal took lemons and made lemonade. I truly believe he loves his job here at UK. Cal has specific defined goals and one of the most important is making players NBA millionaires. By doing this he has helped the family for generstions to come.