Calipari: “We may never platoon again”

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Over on CoachCal.com, your second favorite UK website, Calipari looked back on the 2014-15 season and all of its awesomeness and how he hopes to never have to rotate 10 guys again.

“If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO,” Cal wrote on his site. “Last season was an absolute outlier. It’s just not the way I like to coach. I would rather play seven or eight guys because I believe that gives us the best chance to win. I think we wrote the book on platooning this year, but I hope we stick it on the shelf and never have to use it again.”

He also reminded us that Kentucky is a players first program and it’s the best at developing players for the NBA. You listening, future recruits?

The timing of Cal’s message isn’t a coincidence, after he missed out on his spring targets. This seems to be his way of telling us, “Hey, BBN, don’t worry about our roster; I only like to play seven or eight guys anyway.”

Read it here: “We may never platoon again, but players will always come first”

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Calipari: “We may never platoon again”

1. symphonist41169
    12:38 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Maybe he should have posted that BEFORE the Spring signing period….

• memphis
      12:51 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Would the kids have listened to him? Probably not. You’ve got 20 coaches screaming platoon and only one saying, “We won’t platoon.” It was a losing battle.

2. empireblue
    1:02 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Rather than talking to the BBN, it seems like he’s telling recruits, “Hey! Just kidding about all that ‘team first,’ twenty-minutes-a-game silliness! I promise I’ll let you play to your heart’s content if you’ll just stop signing with the Golden Bears, for goodness sake.”

3. Mc12
    1:11 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Won’t platoon. Prefers to play 7-8.
    1. Skal 2. Ulis 3. Briscoe 4. Poythress 5. Lee 6. Matthews 7. Mulder 8. Hawkins 9. Willis and he’s still potentially bringing in 1 more player.

To all the Hawkins and Willis fans, don’t expect a lot of change…

• Catsby80
      1:14 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

I think the OPPORTUNITY for Hawk & Willis to see minutes will present itself. They will have to make the best of that opportunity. Nothing is guaranteed for those guys like it is for say Ulis and a few others; but, I think they will have the opportunity to see 5-10 minutes a game. Bottom line: Cal is going to play the guys that give us the best chance to win. If Willis catches fire and is knocking down 45% of his 3s, then he will get some minutes.

• Mc12
      1:44 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

I agree. I think the question is can Mulder defend adequately enough and can he shoot well at this level. If Willis doesn’t improve on defense, he won’t have much of an opportunity to shoot 45% from 3. If Hawkins improves offensively he could get some run, although I think Briscoe will be the back-up at the point when Ulis gets his rest.
      If Hawkins and Willis could magically evolve into one player, they would get good minutes. I just don’t see them getting a lot. However, maybe they will prove that they’re more deserving than Mulder and Matthews.
      I just don’t see it based on roster needs IMO.

• Catsby80
      2:04 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

yeah i tend to agree. i’m not one of these homers that think that because they’re from Kentucky, they deserve automatic court time… everything should be earned. I think this year, more than others, the opportunity to get on the court will present itself (especially for willis). we are thin at the 3 spot and he’s got nice length to fill that void (or at least help fill that void). he really needs to put on 20-30 pounds so he can muscle some guys.

love hawkins and his tenacity on D but he really needs to develop his offensive game. it would be incredibly difficult to have ulis and hawk in the game at the same time, as they are both pretty short. i think hawk will come in in spurts to give us some life on defense and pressure the ball for a couple minutes at a time.

either way, i’m looking forward to next season and seeing where the pieces fall… but even before that, i’m looking forward to football season and getting out and tailgating. go cats!

• UKALLDAY1
      2:56 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Umm Derek Willis HAS to play (Lack of Big Bodies) Dominique HAS to play (Lack of Veteran Guards). Willis will be either Start at the 3 (Can also back up 3) and or the second 4. Dom is good, like he can be really good. I expect him to be the 3rd guard after Briscoe and Tyler. Matthews needs time to develop.

• Mc12
      3:15 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

We’ll see on that UKALLDAY1.

If he gets more than 10 minutes a game I will be shocked. The roster isn’t set yet. I could see Skal getting 30 minutes a game, Poythress 30 minutes a game at the 4 and Lee getting 20 minutes backing them both up.

If Matthews can defend on the wing he’ll get minutes. So if he can keep guys from getting to the hoop at ease (one thing Willis won’t be able to do) which will in turn protect the bigs from foul trouble or giving up easier shots, he’ll get minutes.

If the roster stays as is, I’d expect a lot of 3 guard line-ups. But who knows.

• Catsby80
      3:20 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

agreed with Mc12… I don’t think Willis HAS to play by any stretch… I think he WILL play… but I don’t think it will be more than 10 a game… The notion that Willis will be in the starting 5 is quite laughable at this point. That isn’t a knock on Willis at all (please don’t think it is)… but the fact remains that Willis hasn’t proven anything and to think he will be in the starting 5 based on the last 2 years is a joke.

4. inside info2
    1:22 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

the thing is, platooning didn’t hurt ANYONE on the team. It may have actually helped. Everyone will be drafted at least where expected, and KAT might go #1. How did platooning hurt any of the guys this year?

5. cracka
    2:12 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

we only platooned the first few games until Alex got hurt

6. BigO
    2:15 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Next year’s team will put platooning to rest once and for all.

7. kybigblue
    2:49 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

It is probably good that we got Skal and Briscoe early.

By tournament time we were actually playing 8 men except for the few minutes Lee got.

8. ukbradstith
    3:05 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

We didn’t platoon the last half of the season really, as we eventually went to nine and then Lee barely played, so we were giving 8 guys most of the minutes. Then Dakari’s time shrunk. So by tourney time we were using 6 guys with 2 providing spot duty, just like 2012.

9. catdog
    3:31 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

I guess this vindicates Dickie Vs comments about the platoon system.

10. UKALLDAY1
    3:37 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Well it’s a little to late Cal all the recruits already went to other schools. Cal lost battles this year like never before. He lost to Cal, UNLV, Duke (3 times), Kansas (Twice) and NC State come to mind. How did this happen (WORLDWIDE, NIKE!!). Honestly this might be a blessing in disguise, for the first time in years expectations aren’t 40-0. Cal can shut up all the critics who say he is only a recruiter. Tyler has something to prove. Alex Poythress has something to prove. Briscoe has something to prove. Maybe they can rally around each other and outplay the sum of it parts? If he only wants to play 8 guys then this is the team to do it with.

11. UKALLDAY1
    3:41 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Oh I also forgot defeats to Mississippi State (Huge loss), LSU and Michigan State. The latter two minor as we were never the favorite to win those recruits.

12. BlueGrassBrass
    5:17 pm May 5, 2015 Permalink

Had we platooned the tournaments like we did the regular season might still be undefeated. But thats what we pay Calipari the big bugs for.