Calipari was worried about this game coming in

IMG_9456

John Calipari met with the media for six and a half minutes before rushing off to get on the team plane before the thunderstorm rolled in. As you might imagine, he was pretty upset with his team’s performance.

I’m just disappointed. When I see plays that — you can’t win making those kind of plays,” Cal said. “More than just one guy. Our execution down the stretch, we throw it to the post and the guy has a layup and he bounces it down his leg. We drive him to the middle and instead of just getting there and making that pass, he tries to go an extra step — it’s all stuff you look at and say, ‘guys, you’re not winning playing this way.'”

If you predicted a hangover from the Kansas game, you weren’t alone. Calipari said he sensed this performance coming.

“We got a ways to go. I was worried about this game coming off the Kansas game, then the way we started I thought we would be fine,” Calipari said. “We’ve gotta do some soul searching, individuals and as a staff, we’ve got to keep looking at ways we can help this team get better and demand more winning plays. We are what we are right now.”

So, Jekyll or Hyde.

11 Comments for Calipari was worried about this game coming in

1. scwhite9
    10:06 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I blame Coach Cal for his substitutions. I know he wants others to get playing time. But, we were up by 21, and he started substituting. He can’t do that.

• na8vecat
      11:25 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

They were in foul trouble

2. Loother
    10:09 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Outside of Ulis and Murray, we’re a team of supporting players – and Murray is an immature defender…

3. Kevin C
    10:09 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

This year is officially a wash. Seems like Cal is content to ride this season out, and hope the incoming class will get him #2, and UK #9. He surely knows he’s got no shot this year, with Alex and Marcus unable to put together a complete game between them, and no viable backup for Ulis. He needs to be planning for next season already. Murray will be gone, unless he just really wants a shot at a ring, over the sure Lottery pick (doubtful), Alex can finally move on, and figure out what he really wants to do (I’ve never been convinced he really likes basketball), and Skal staying or leaving won’t be a factor either way. Ulis, Briscoe (who needs to be shooting FTs ALL SUMMER), Willis and Lee will be a solid returning group, along with the unknown contributions of Winyard, Matthews, Humphries, etc. But the incoming class has the look and feel of the “Here we come BBN” group that won #8.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:49 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

Foolish.

4. TorpedoVegas
    10:10 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

It’s cool, Cal. Put all of the blame on the players.

5. keiths
    10:12 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I blame the players, but not as much as the coaching. CAL is a sub par bench coach, NEVER makes in game adjustments. thank god he can recruit, or we’d never win a game

6. Jiminy Crickets
    10:14 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

The more I hear Cal speak, the more crazy I think he’s becoming. He just talks in circles, never really completes a thought, and speaks primarily in 3rd person. His players have been making the same mistakes all year, no in game adjustments (same as when KU when triangle and 2), and its all because of “winning plays”

• UK Big Board Update
      10:49 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

We should hire Tom Crean. He’s got Indiana rolling. /sarcasm

7. UK Big Board Update
    10:37 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

The typical trolls are out in full force tonight.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:45 pm February 2, 2016 Permalink

I agree with the comment about Alex; but, I wouldn’t count on Ulis returning if I were you!
    N…B…A