Calipari wanted Quade Green to stay two more games to think transfer over

As expected, Quade Green was a big topic of today’s media opportunity. John Calipari said he met with Quade and his family early this week and encouraged the sophomore to stay two more games to make sure he wanted to follow through with his decision to transfer, but Quade felt his time at Kentucky was over.

“He just felt that he was in a situation he didn’t see that he could come back from. I met with the kid, he’s a great kid. I met with mom and dad and mom was crying. It is disappointing for me when young people want to leave but he’ll be treated the same way [as others who have left].”

“It was a talk. We were in there for a little while. He hugged me and said, ‘I love you, Coach.’ I said, ‘I love you, too.’ It’s just different here. I even told him, ‘Why don’t you stay two weeks and play two games and if you want to leave, leave. Why would you do this right now?’ He said, Coach, I’m just — I just feel…I said, ‘Okay.’ I told the team, this isn’t, I’m not [saying], ‘You’re leaving?! Get out of here!’ It’s not how we do it here. This is about them. It’s not about me and the program that way. This is about each individual guy when it comes time for a decision like that.”

“I would tell our fans, be positive, be upbeat with him,” Cal added. “You think of all the kids that have left here that we’ve stayed in touch with. I told he and his family, ‘I’m going to be here for you, but this next choice you make is probably bigger than the last choice. You’ve gotta think it through and how you want to play.'”

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Calipari wanted Quade Green to stay two more games to think transfer over

1. DelrayCat
    2:37 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

I think the biggest problem is the high school recruiting rankings and gurus. They ordain so many of these Burger-boys as sure-fire college players based on difficult to compare high school credentials. Quade played for a 500-student catholic high school against similar competition. Of course, stepping into the limelight at one of the biggest meat-grinders in all of collegiate sports will cause some struggles. Especially for a guy who is playing out of position and is going against much stronger and bigger competitors. Maybe it is best to go be the top dog somewhere close to home (like Temple or Drexel). There is no shame he just wasn’t cut out for UK. Not everyone is.

• kybirdieman
      3:07 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

May have been average shooter, but best we had. Stats don’t lie. Better hope Baker can shoot, the other three can’t.

• UKFootballYall
      3:09 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

Don’t disagree at all about the issues with the player ranking system, it’s a crap-shoot at best. Hopefully everyone will keep that in mind next week when Stoops has a bunch off super-talented 3 stars sign and they want to complain that he didn’t sign enough 4 & 5 stars. Josh Allen fared pretty well as a 2 star, huh? Talent is talent, regardless of stars.

• Skooms
      4:53 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

Better hope someone in your family has brains, because you’re an idiot Birdman. Herro and Quickly are both good shooters that happen to be having a cold streak. I guess Booker and Monk couldn’t shoot either huh? Go back to the UofL site and enjoy your basketball season, because the football season won’t be very kind for a few years.

• JASUN74
      5:31 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

Delray, while I understand your augment with the rankings and all, those army the ones that recruit, and offer the kids. Our staff is the ones that are supposed to watch them and see if they’re good Enough to play here. It doesn’t matter if you’re ranked 1 or 100. Know what I mean?
      I’m sure they put in some time and watched him play before offering him , and didn’t just look at the list , an see he was ranked high and call him It’s the staffs job to evaluate this kids and they missed on him. Plain and simple.
      I love his fire and he’s a cool kid, but in my honest opinion only, he was offered , so he could help recruit Mo Bamba. I really hope I’m wrong, but either way, Green got a chance to prove his self at the biggest of Programs, and saw the writing on the wall.
      He didn’t lose in this situation, because he got to play at the highest level for a year and had a pretty great summer in Maui with some buddy’s. Haha. Heck I would say he got a fair chance on the court to. Sometimes in life other people are just better than us, and that OK.
      I wish him luck in his life, and no doubt he’ll become a good player somewhere. He’s a very lucky young man to have had this experience in his life, I hope he uses it to his advantage, because 99.99% of great young basketball players, would give anything for a year with Coach Calipari, an Our Program.
      I do have to agree that some of these guys are over ranked, and it probably gets them seem more that it normally would!! But even that being the case , it’s still the Coaching Staff job to evaluate and find the players good enough. Maybe it’s because he gave up or didn’t work hard enough to play, but I don’t think that’s the case here.
      He is a great kid though, and he will be fine. Thanks Delraycat.

2. ukcamel
    2:38 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

Cal is a class act.

• JASUN74
      5:43 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

He sure is ukcamel. We’re more than lucky to have him as, the representative of our Basketball Program. He’s done a lot for this University, but Cal and Ellen also, do a whole lot of good works in the community as well. Very proud to have Coach Calipari. I hope he’s here until he’s 85!!! Lol. I volunteer right now to be his chair pusher. Haha. He’s done shiiit the right way, and when we truly find out all the stuff with the schools cheating, and paying players and all that stuff, we will find out just how lucky we have been to have him.

3. Dowser
    2:46 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

I don’t get the Quade constant chatter…. imo, he clearly doesn’t have the physical stature, quickness, speed, he’s not a savvy player (like some little players), not a great passer and an average shooter with questionable range. He’s a mid major talent that will never sniff an NBA floor. He should be happy he’s getting a free education!

• Dustin Rumbaugh
      3:08 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

Idk if I agree with the “playing out of position” part. I do in a way that he had to change his “role” from high school to college but so does everyone. If he was going to make it to the next level, assuming that was his goal coming here, he had to be a score first point guard. Cal tried to make him that. He just isn’t there yet. I don’t get why these kids leave though. Where are you going to get a better teacher for score first point guards? I completely agree with Aaron. It’s a branding issue. They think they’ve failed if they aren’t one or two and done. Quade had some Kyrie-Esque performances. Why not stay with the point guard guru and develop? Screw playing time. There isn’t a single NBA scout that cares about that. It’s about what you can do when you hit the hardwood. I think they made a very poor decision but I wish the kid and his family the best.

• BluemanGreen
      3:17 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

Quade Green has never done anything on a basketball court to even be mentioned in the same breath as Kyrie. That is absolute silliness. Agree with Dowser. Thought he was a 4 yr player from day 1 & def not an nba prospect at that height with no athleticism & bad decision making! Kyrie lol…that is the funniest thing i ever heard. Quade gonna drop 40 in nba playoff games one day? Lol i think not.

4. AllBall
    3:25 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

When people talk about the UK coaching staff and the changes that have taken place no one mentions Rod Strickland. I think his experience and credibility were invaluable teaching freshmen pg’s. I know he had some off court issues with drinking but everyone has their skeletons.

5. Aar
    4:30 pm December 14, 2018 Permalink

If Green had made his transfer announcement at center court to packed Rupp Arena, I would have stood and cheered. Hope the rest of BBN would have done the same. He put his blood, sweat, tears, ego, humility and humor on the line for our entertainment every time he laced ‘em up. I will miss Quade Green as a Kentucky Wildcat.

• catdaddyd
      2:00 pm December 15, 2018 Permalink

Not sure about his blood, sweat, and tears. Quade himself said he didn’t put in the effort and was out of shape last year. It would be nice to have him as a role player, but the writing is on the wall, Cal’s going to a 7 man rotation. Just like Nick will only see the floor if guys are in foul trouble.