Calipari urges fans to be classy on Saturday

Over the years, the University of Louisville has been kind enough to give us plenty of things to make fun of, but with the sex scandal currently looming over the program like Black & Mild smoke in a strip club, the atmosphere is especially ripe for the picking this season. As he does every year, John Calipari called for UK fans to be respectful to Louisville and their fans at Rupp on Saturday.

“No, I would just hope our fans – and again, you bring it up, it has not entered my mind, I’m watching tape, I’m watching – I think they’re doing a great job, I think Rick’s doing a great job with his team. I would tell our fans enjoy the game. Don’t be bringing in banners, don’t be bringing in posters, don’t. You don’t need to do it. Let’s just enjoy the basketball game. Let’s be classy. We have the classiest fans. I would expect that’s how they’ll be in this game.”

Calipari added taking the high road has always been his motto when playing teams with off-the-court issues.

“When I was at UMass, I remember a school with an issue with a gambling thing and I said ‘If I see one thing, I’ll walk off and won’t coach the game.’ Let’s just play basketball. We don’t need to relish in anyone’s struggles. I’ve always been that way.”

Besides…

“We need to worry about how good their team is and how well they’re being coached not anything that happened five years ago. Let’s just play ball.”

Yeah, yeah, yeah…

6 Comments for Calipari urges fans to be classy on Saturday

1. Cousins Fake Tooth
    7:16 pm December 23, 2015 Permalink

It’s Louisville. Hell no.

2. barn
    7:44 pm December 23, 2015 Permalink

eh, love you cal, but sorry.

3. Mr Blue
    7:52 pm December 23, 2015 Permalink

Right. I’m sure the Louisville fans will stay classy if their team wins. Because that’s the way they roll.

4. BlueFins
    8:21 pm December 23, 2015 Permalink

Every year we have a home game against Louisville they have a scandal that requires us to show restraint. In two years they will be on probation and we will once again have to keep it classy.

5. 2thepoint
    8:52 pm December 23, 2015 Permalink

Remember the year Rick took over Rupp demanding signs be taken down. I bet he will try it again this year. Fans should keep chanting ‘merry ho ho ho’ and ‘happy probation’!

6. Bluecreeker
    1:57 pm December 24, 2015 Permalink

For my 2 cents worth. The man made himself out to be something he was not while here at UK and after. I was one of the UK fans who held him high on a pedestal and thought he did no wrong. Well he has proven that he is a mere mortal prone to making bone headed decisions, but more than anything else, he is his own creation good or bad.

I don’t begrudge him having the horrible moral compass that got him in trouble, but I have to question why the Rick Pitino I knew at UK would stay in his position and allow himself to become a caricature of what he once was. I would have much more respect for him today if he were to take the high road and leave the Silo to rebuild their reputation.

Oh wait, that will have to be on hold until all of the chickens are home to roost. No need to start rebuilding until we know all of the damage from what I gather that could take a while.