Calipari tweeted a message to the fans on Monday

After taking some time to let it all sink in, John Calipari tweeted a statement to Big Blue Nation about his team’s exit from the NCAA Tournament:

Losing stinks. As I told the guys afterwards, it’s supposed to sting when you lose. If it’s doesn’t you’re not a competitor. This one is going to hurt for all of us for a while but it doesn’t take away from what this team accomplished this season and how much these kids grew.

Each and every player isn’t the same version he was at the beginning of the season. Every player grew, and as they improved, our team got better and put us in the mix again.

I so badly wanted to get to next weekend to have another week to coach these kids. I’ve enjoyed coaching this group as much as any I have ever had. These are a bunch of great kids and I hope our fan base celebrates them for a terrific season. (@UKCoachCalipari)

“Hope our fan base celebrates them for a terrific season”… let’s all try to do that. Like Cal said, this was a bunch of great kids and they were a joy to watch.

Article written by Drew Franklin

48 Comments for Calipari tweeted a message to the fans on Monday

1. Bleedblueky
    2:15 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Many Thanks & Best of Luck to PJ & Reid for leading & giving BBN this fun & enjoyable season.

I love my team and hope everyone else would choose to stay (except for Johnny Davis of course).

2. jr
    2:16 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Hated to go out the way we did against a team we should have beat. But I loved watching these guys compete, and I’m hopeful the ones that should come back for next season do actually come back! Over the past years we have had several players leave that shouldn’t, and where are they now? If you ask them most will tell you they should have come back and worked to get better..,

• katsrock
      2:57 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Did Cal copy and paste this from 4 of the last 5 years?

Same story, same result, different year.

• IndianaSucks
      3:06 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Could you copy and paste yourself into a different fanbase? Thanks. – Sincerely, BBN

• catsarerunnin
      4:04 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Copy and paste your brains ahole.

• Luether
      8:21 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

What katsrock said…

3. BBNJustin
    2:20 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m celebrating them for sure. I loved this team.

4. runningunnin.454
    2:21 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Many hours of joy and excitement watching this team play and grow. Thanks, guys, and thanks, Cal.
    Thanks PJ and Reid; and, best wishes for the future.
    Hope our freshmen come back and hone their tradecraft; don’t be dazzled by the quick money. Think about the long haul; the NBA will always be there.

5. N-UR-i
    2:22 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Before the Bahamas I thought it would be a average season. After the Bahamas I thought we were gonna be a juggernaut, and that is what caused my biggest disappointment.

• classof68
      3:07 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I think most seasoned UK fans feel that way. As Pitino would say, the Bahamas thing was fools gold. I vote we never go back there again. There was plenty of blame to spread around for losing to Auburn. I feel sorry for Hagans, but I don’t understand why Cal’s teams are always choking when it comes to free throws. Even back to his Memphis teams. P.J. improved so much this year, yet his free throw misses in that game were critical. I turned the game off with 7 minutes left because I was 95% sure we were going to blow it. It’s been that way most of the year. When it came to a critical time of the game where they could break the other team’s spirits, they would turn it over or take a stupid shot. That’s Cal’s responsibility. I hope Cal stays a long time, but for the money he’s making I expect a little more out of him in several areas going forward. Just remember, he was ready to leave UK for the pros at the drop of a hat back in 2014.

6. natchamps98
    2:23 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

It was a very enjoyable year, we won 30 games !! Who in the world would have thought that after the Duke game, Seton Hall game and Alabama game ? Congratulations to those players, they gave it
    their all, could have hit some more free throws but it is what it is ! Go Cats !

7. ky yaya
    2:32 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

But we always do….

8. ky yaya
    2:33 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

How many times have we said it is tough to beat a team 3 times?

9. BigolBlue
    2:43 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Im having an elite 8 bash throwdown if anybody wants to come. Might not see another one of these for a long time.

• CatsfaninFL
      3:11 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

A chance to hang with BoB?!?! Oh gosh. And I already have a date chewing on shards of glass. Thanks though!

• BLUE WHITE
      3:35 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah I’ll come what’s your address, would like to talk about some things face to face with the dumbass behind all these comments

• bluecat15
      8:23 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Bigolblue the village idiot

10. TimLH
    2:46 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Turnovers and missed free throws were the difference. From game 1 against Duke to now this team improved 1000%

• runningunnin.454
      2:53 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Yes, they did; and Duke regressed.

• 4everUKblue
      3:11 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Funny thing, missed free throws and turnovers were the difference in the dUKe MSU game too.

• Soylentbeans
      11:09 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Funny thing turnovers and missed ft’s usually cost teams games.

11. KatFan48
    2:46 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Great joy to watch this team. Special thanks to Reid Travis for allowing us to be part of his career. Thaks Cal. Go Cats

12. eddiesuttonsliver
    2:48 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

do or do not. there is no try.

13. BGrassKY
    2:57 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I had a blast following this team from North Carolina this season. Got to take my son to see them at Rupp! Watched them turn into what seemed like an unbeatable team before the injury bug showed up. Loved the fight they showed. Only a couple of times were they not at least in it with a chance at the end. I’m thankful for having Reid and for PJ coming back. I wish they could’ve made it another week too. It’ll be a long summer without UK basketball, as usual. Go Cats!

• notFromhere
      8:35 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Love to see these kinds of comments. Thank you for posting this!

14. StillBP
    3:09 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

So did UK really offer Cal a lifetime contract to counter UCLA’s offer or is the story going around an April Fools joke?

• StillBP
      3:11 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

well I see you just reported it so I guess it’s not a joke

15. BigJohnC
    4:00 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Loved every minute of it

16. tmcclan16
    4:13 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Could not Agree more with Cal on this one! Loosing sucks but even the best teams loose sometimes. Thanks for s great season. to all who are leaving good luck and to those staying I look forward to being a crazy BBN fan that most of us are!

17. mikeintn
    4:58 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Thanks to Cal and the team for lots of great wins. It is frustrating for me when we lose this way, to a team you know we beat 9 out of 10 times. It would just feel better if you lose to someone that just beats you [after playing a good game ]. I don’t know maybe if we play good no one would beat us. Just hurts to lose this way, BBN we just have to vent to each other I guess lol. Anyway here we are,it was a good year and looking forward to next year, let’s go get them! GO CATS!

18. joepike16
    5:00 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I love our coach!

19. ScottGreene22
    5:33 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Next season all of BBN will be on pins and needles with every bounce of the ball. Get our kids ready to compete and have a chance again next season Coach. We all are behind you

20. GACAT
    5:41 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I have a tweet for you Cal, you cannot Coach a Luck. Go away!!!

21. GACAT
    5:41 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Lick

22. VirginiaCat
    5:50 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Yes, we were humiliated by Duke to start the year, but we improved enough to close the year with a loss to an inferior team that kept us out of the Final Four. It was a great season sandwiched between those two unfortunate events. Same thing last year when we had a cakewalk to the Final Four, but were beaten by a pesky no name team with inferior talent. Other than that, it was a great season last year, too. Absolutely love Cal. It’s so cute the way he sometimes loses track of who is on the bench, doesn’t think to call timeouts, and doesn’t do much in the way of in-game adjustments. His seat-of-the-pants approach is just so much darn fun! A lot of the teams that beat us have few if any McDonald’s All Americans, so we are way ahead in that regard. So heck yeah, lets go the lifetime contract route so that we can have many more years like the ones since 2015. Remember, no constructive criticism is allowed under any circumstances. Mum is the word. Repeat after me, I love Cal, I love Cal, I love Cal. (The lobotomy did not hurt one bit!)

• KatFan48
      6:11 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I want to help you. I don’t know of anyone other than lilolchicken aka BigolBlue who is as disappointed with basketball as you seem to be at all times. So here’s my suggestion. Find a new team to troll. Could it happen. Of course. YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS!

• mikeintn
      6:39 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Everyone repeat after me, virginiacat is an IDIOT! virginiacat is an IDIOT! virginiacat is an IDIOT!

• Maroon Cat
      6:50 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Cinderellas are to be expected. We we not under achievers. Let it not be said otherwise. The Big Blue Nation loves all their teams including this one. But do not think them the Nation dumb. To win the NCAA you need at least 2 guards that can flat shoot pass and not turn the ball over when you play 3 guards. The only time we saw fast breaks often was with Big Nick, E.J and Travis on the court together because our guards could not create. Be honest, how many times did we fail to make passes to open players early yet wait on the shot clock simply to turn it over. Way to many to expect the final 4. We won with Anthony Davis but think, Without Duron Lamb we were total toast. 2019 We had no Duron Lamb, we had no Davis. We were worn out after Houston, barely could get the ball past the front of the rim on free throws. Bad misses and air balls. Let it not be be said that we were under achievers. Biggest question is not where Coach C goes, its how many Quade Green Transfers to make room for the next bunch of Easter Eggs…..and how they hatch out. Ashton Hagans will not start for UK next year and doubtful will Quickley. For some reason we recruited 2 guards that don’t have jump shots……..two.

• mrcoconuts
      8:07 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

All these haters will be on the bandwagon once again next year when we destroy a team we weren’t supposed to. Just watch…

23. Racerr11
    6:02 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Anybody who says Cal can’t coach needs to find something else to watch, maybe ballet.

24. CopenhagenCat
    6:57 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I love Cal as a coach, and hes a good man when it comes to having his players help those in need. But I was disappointed in the game vs Auburn. Things I noticed was how many games have we seen where Cal tells his players to push the ball up the court? During the Auburn game I felt like I was watching Tubby ball all over again. Hagans was awful on offense and defense. Cal said this was one of his best shooting teams. Well they had Tyler and PJ and thats basically it. Other guys arent really dependable shooters. I do think E.J. will get better. Nick I have tried to have faith in but seems like he just doesnt get it. So to make a long story short im hoping Cal starts looking at guys that will stay around a lil longer. I have always stood up for Cal and probably still will but some of his excuses are getting old. Just to many games where he lets teams get back into the game and it ends up being closer or they lose a game they should have won. Im just hoping he looks at players with more heart like Tyler or PJ to play at UK. Just my opinion. Im not hating. Love my CATS. Just still upset over a game they should have won.

25. notFromhere
    8:15 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

Cats should have been playing in Louisville. Not that the refs couldn’t have blown calls and screwed them royally in Lousiville, but they should have been there. The NCAA is corrupt.

Love the Cats. Love the sport.

What the officials are calling is not basketball. Check some bank accounts, calls, texts, and emails.

26. Kyceltsfan
    8:31 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I agree with coach, these kids are awesome and I think some grew a bunch this year and some got worse as the year went on. The only thing that makes me cringe is I feel like this team left so much on the table that could have been theirs for the taking.

No SEC regular season title
    No SEC tournament title
    No NCAA tournament title.

They did beat a bunch of good teams this year though.

27. Kyceltsfan
    8:36 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

I didnt mean for my previous post to take a negative slant I like this team this season I just come away feeling a little empty because I felt the team deserved more than what they achieved.