Calipari told Mike Lupica he will be at Kentucky at least four more years

brad-cal

John Calipari will be at Kentucky for at least four more years. His wife, Ellen, said so.

During his 45-minute interview with Mike Lupica, Calipari said Ellen told him he isn’t allowed to leave UK as long as Brad Calipari is on the team, and Cal expects his son, who just got to campus, will be a Wildcat for at least four years.

“If you’re asking me going forward, there is one thing that happened that changed the dynamic, and the paradigm for me in my coaching career — my son has joined our team. So my son Brad will be with us four, maybe five, years, and my wife has already told me: ‘You will not leave while he is playing here. That ain’t happening.’

So, all these job openings, with me for the next four or five years, all anybody out there has to say — not happening.”

Cal also told Lupica he has “no regrets whatsoever” turning down the Cleveland Cavaliers job, even though he had a pretty good idea LeBron James would return to The Land. Cal loves it in Lexington and will continue to coach as long as he’s able to help young men pursue their dreams, he says.

“I’m enjoying it.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Calipari told Mike Lupica he will be at Kentucky at least four more years

1. DelrayCat
    3:15 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

Brad…now that you’re almost a collegian…moving on to manhood…quit letting mommy cut your hair. It’s a haircut for a 10 year old…lol. Come on bro! Get with the times! It’s 2016!

2. Booby Petrino
    3:28 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

I love the addition of a 5th year. Yes Brad, please red shirt a year! And why does someone need to knock a kid’s hair cut? I highly doubt mommy cuts his.

3. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    3:43 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

It’s actually a haircut that is very “in” for men. I love Cal and appreciate everything he has been able to do with the young men that have joined the program. I will forever cherish his time at the University of Kentucky, however long it is.

4. leon singleton
    3:53 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

I wish Calipari would take his snake oil and get out of town.

• Al B. Frank
      4:03 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

I wish leon singleton would take his KY Jelly and go f… himself.

• CATandMONKEY
      7:33 am June 15, 2016 Permalink

I wish Leon had suffered an injury that resulted in him only being able to type inane Internet comments…oh wait…

5. BK
    4:03 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

Did I somehow misread the “Kaboom” of a few weeks ago? This sure seems like a possible backtrack from that “kaboom,” essay, “I’m retiring at Kentucky and let’s see what we can do!” Am I missing something? It is Cal’s life, and he can/will certainly do what he wants to do, but coming as close as it did to that former announcement it just sounds a little like doublespeak. Again, its Cal’s life, and I’m thankful for his time and really don’t care if he leaves with Brad/whatever. The messaging just doesn’t make sense, or I missed something.

6. STEVE!
    5:31 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

Brad, please get your Masters degree and Doctorate at UK, too!

• Catuary
      10:27 pm June 14, 2016 Permalink

I could see him as a graduate assistant or assistant coach in a few years. If I recall, G.G. Smith was on the staff for a few years at the start of the 3rd millennium.

• Sentient Third Eye
      8:40 am June 15, 2016 Permalink

Maybe he’ll be another Zonker Harris and go to college for 30 years.

7. BigBlueToo
    2:22 am June 15, 2016 Permalink

The Boo Bird in Florida is out early. Gotta get the odor of mothballs out of that old sweater. Sean and Saul never forgot the #1 boo bird cheerleader.

8. AZBlueCat
    12:36 pm June 15, 2016 Permalink

The Carolina Blue Nike backpacks are disappointing. Cal is usually on the details.