Calipari to recruits: Who wants to be next?

We’ve reached that time in the summer when John Calipari uses his website to release his annual recruiting manifesto. This year, rather than sharing another long-winded sales pitch, Calipari simply asked: Who wants to be next?

Every year I come out and shed some light on what I’m doing in recruiting and give an anecdote about how we, as a staff, go about it and what philosophies we believe in. I call it my annual recruiting manifesto.

Typically, these are pretty lengthy. That’s not the case this year.

Last year was truly amazing. I grew as a coach, I learned from the players and I’m absolutely humbled by how they came together and how they sacrificed. Our team benefitted from all the records they set, but individual players benefitted more, and that’s the way I want this. Whatever the team accomplishes, I want the players to benefit more.

Moving forward, when a normal program loses seven players to the NBA it’s devastating for the next three or four years. Some never recover. That’s not Kentucky.

I’m so excited about our team this year. We could have the best backcourt, and maybe the best frontcourt in the country. I think we will have depth, athleticism and shooting. I couldn’t be more excited about the challenge. Then I asked our guys coming back: Why not? Why not do something crazy like last year?

As far as recruiting, if you watch our teams — not only last year, but the other years also — you’ll notice players have improved. Nobody is left behind. We’ve had 40 scholarship-recruited players, 25 have been drafted by the NBA and another handful are in Europe, the D-League or still here on campus. I think that tells the story.

Now I’ll say this to all the recruits and their families: Who wants to be next? [CoachCal.com]

You see that, 2016 recruits?

Get in here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Calipari to recruits: Who wants to be next?

1. Ostap
    12:21 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Next Aaron, Andrew, Teague, Lamb, Dakari, Orton?
    Since WWW became an agent top recruits are not that easy to get.

• CardFan502
      1:24 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

No dawg, he meant the next Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson, Kanter, Knight, Harrellson, Liggins, Davis, MKG, TJones, Miller, Noel, Goodwin, Randle, Young, KAT, WCS, Lyles, Booker, Andrew (he got drafted. Duh).

NOT Caracter, Dantzler, Dartez, T Dean, Gaines, George, Hancock, Jennings, Knowles, Kuric, O’Bannon, Palacios, Samardo Samuels, Siva, Smith, Sosa, Williams, Blackshear, Behanon, Harrell, Carlos Hurt, Shaqquan Aaron…..

• Not winning a title with 8 or 9 burger boys is a joke
      6:50 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

What cardfan502 is saying is who wants to be the next top 5 HS player to go to uk. You know, a kid that would have been a top pick had he gone to Akron or Boise State. Cal wants to take all the credit for these ready made players. Heck, he thinks he is the reason Kanter is a good pro.

I bet daddy Harrison is glad his boys went from top 5 to 10 picks out of HS to second round and not drafted.

• LilBroIsAJoke
      8:24 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

poor Card fans. Still butthurt about that L1C7 huh? Well get ready for L1C8, lil b*tches!

• J-Dub421
      9:24 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

For all the U of L fans: If 5-star McDonald’s All Americans would get drafted no matter where they go and Coach Cal doesn’t develop them at all, then why have the last 3 who went to U of L gone undrafted?

• theWilkman
      10:12 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub421 – great stat. UofL clowns want to point to Andrew and Aaron, but ignore all the players whose stock was boosted (Liggins, Jorts, Miller, Booker, etc) and plug their ears and close their eyes when you point out all the players whose stock fell through the floor once they lef UofL. But hey, when you’ve been spanked 6/7 times, you have to reach for something.

• CardFan502
      12:32 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I wonder how us Card fans are gonna feel when HOFCRP has 7-8 NBA guys on the roster and we don’t win the title next year, and then they transfer?

#OneandDoneWithUofL

• Jay Bilas
      4:31 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

“Not winning” clearly didnt make it to the second paragraph of CardFan502’s post. LOL

2. Francis
    12:31 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

The final verdict is in when viewing the picture post with Coach Cal. It was shot during the most recent NBA draft. Question. How do you reach the top of your game in basketball and play in the the NBA. Coach Cal and playing for UK looks like a clear winner. Go Cats!

3. Zed
    4:54 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Looks like the top player handlers is refusing to send them to UK cause they afraid Wes is gonna get a hold of them. Lets hope Kash is there to help

• Dude
      1:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Can someone translate what this idiot just said…?

4. BluKudzu
    5:42 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Swaggy Cal.
    The program has no equal. little brother just stays little brother.

5. AzubuikeandFitch
    6:09 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

We’re like “old money” that just got new again.

6. bluekats
    6:43 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Isaiah Briscoe: “They Ain’t Come From Where I Come From”

7. Stitch jones
    7:45 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Love it when ‘Lil Brother shows his butt hurt….L1 Cal 7….

8. ClutchCargo
    8:44 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Anybody remember that time you cared enough to troll a U of L blog? Me neither. Lil Bro being Lil Bro.

• J-Dub421
      9:22 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

No, because I don’t waste my time with those who don’t matter.

9. D. Marshall
    10:47 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Yeah who wants to be the next NBA prospect at UK? Keep up the the NBA developmental factory known as UK. I hope they keep getting 1 and dones and NBA players and not winning national championships. The true UK fans will soon grow tired of this fiasco.

• Dan
      11:26 am July 7, 2015 Permalink

Can you name the last team to win 3 titles in six years? I can’t, but my guess it was that UCLA run in the sixties and seventies. Winning the tournament is HARD and all you can ask for is to be in a position to win. We’ve had that 5 out of 6 years Cal has been here. Ideally we would’ve won more titles, but that’s what happens in the crapshoot that is the NCAA tournament.

• True UK Fans
      12:35 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

D. Marshall,

We think you’re full of shit.

Now go play in traffic.

Signed,

BBN

• Jay Bilas
      4:12 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Unlike your team, who doesn’t get one and dones, get knocked out by a 7-seed, finish 27-9, and have players transfer. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Detours
    12:02 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Too bad Cal can’t coach, otherwise I would have high expectations again with much disappointment laying in store.

• J-Dub421
      2:40 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Cal has won a Title and taken 3 different schools to the Final Four. Saying he can coach is just ignorant. How many national title have you won?

11. D.Marshall
    3:18 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Officially Cal has taken 1 school to the final four the other 2 schools were VACATED!!! LOL! True UK fan don’t get mad at me. Your own godly coach said his goal was to get 8 players to the league not win the national championship. Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dude
      3:56 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

U mad, bro? LOL

• Jay Bilas
      4:07 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Those games were played, dumbass.

• J-Dub421
      4:24 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

Do you really think Coach Cal and the players were’t trying to win a championship, that that wasn’t their goal?? If so, then you’re even dumber than I thought you were.

Now learn to use the “reply” button, and run along back to the Tard Chronicle.

• Dude
      4:30 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

J-Dub, they’re reaching.

• Brian
      1:01 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

He is godly…..

12. D.Marshall
    8:13 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I know it hurts J Dub. Having all those lottery picks and still not winning it all. Lol!!! I love it. U probably still tossing and turning from losing to the Wisconson white boys!!! Lol!!!

• Brian
      10:01 pm July 7, 2015 Permalink

I was over it months ago. Now, we load up and make another shot at it.

Louisville, on the other hand… hhahaha.

• J-Dub421
      11:09 am July 8, 2015 Permalink

Your crappy cards will be a dumpster fire this year. My cats will be back in the hunt for a title. Enjoy watching the Final Four from home AGAIN. #L1C7

And you’re still too stupid to figure out how to replay to a post.