Calipari to Cleveland rumors! RUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

calipari-cleveland

Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio is reporting Cleveland has interest in John Calipari for its head coaching vacancy.

Earlier today Calipari told the Plain Dealer he would “absolutely” coach LeBron James, who could one day return home to Cleveland, if he had the chance to do it. But they’re running out of time in their careers.

“Yes, I would love to coach him,” he said. “But early in his career I said maybe that would happen happen some day, but as we both get older it doesn’t appear that it will happen. But he and I have never discussed it.”

He had good things to say about the Cavs organization, too:

“The great news for the city of Cleveland is you have a great organization,” he said. “There are teams that are trying to make money. There are teams that are just trying to get by. You have an organization there — it’s not about money for them. It’s about bringing a championship to Cleveland and what that means to the city of Cleveland.” [more]

Here we go again!

Article written by Drew Franklin

36 Comments for Calipari to Cleveland rumors! RUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

1. Memphis North
    2:55 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

he gone

• Memphis North
      3:38 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

(crosses fingers and prays again, like he’s done the last 5 years)

2. Azubuike's Bicep
    2:56 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

While this one is more believable than the “Cal to LA” talks, it’s still not gonna happen.

3. Silly
    3:00 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Why would Cal turn down the Lakers job, which is a top 2 NBA job, and then accept the Cleveland job? LeGone is not coming back to Cleveland. Move on; nothing to see here.

• Sure!
      3:07 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

If you say so…

4. CatsfaninFL
    3:01 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

While it wouldn’t surprise me that he would one day take another stab at the NBA, Cleveland? Listen, if Lebron was going back there I could believe it more, but without Lebron that organization is a dumpster fire.. with him, at best, they are Eastern Conference champs. I feel like we’ve seen that before.

5. bluegrazzcat
    3:02 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Actually the “Cal to Lakers” was more believable. Who the hell wants to coach in Cleveland?? Cal loves his name being thrown around because of course the only bad press is no press at all. He’s not going anywhere.

• Azubuike's Bicep
      3:09 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cleveland would definitely be more plausible. Why would Cal want to take the oldest team in the league? Not to mention, the Clippers are the new face of LA. Cleveland has a young All-Star in Kyrie, and the potnetial for Lebron to come back. With his relationship with Lebron on top of having Irving, Cleveland would be far more believable. If Cal cared about location, he would be coaching at UCLA right now.

6. Jeffrey
    3:07 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

LBJ back to Cleveland is a pipe dream for Cavs fans, just give it up.

7. Michael F. Jox
    3:07 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I just can’t believe he said that Cleveland has a great orginization. Who’s he trying to fool? People outside of Lex don’t believe this dude’s lies like that. The Cavs just fired Mike Brown AGAIN. Gilbert seems to really have a great thing going up there. But hey, I guess you can’t hire a guy for the third time if you don’t fire him for the second.

8. Lol
    3:09 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

What else would you expect him to say? That Cleveland organization sucks? Cal is more diplomatic and professional than that…

9. Big Blue Monster
    3:12 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Isn’t Cleveland where players go to rest in peace? Lebron didn’t go about his departure in the best pr manner which is why he always backtracks and says he would love to go back there one day…really…I call bs. The football organization is already talkin smack about Johnnie Football before he even starts practicing. Cleveland sports is a mess…clearly a downgrade from coaching at UK. We probably have higher quality NBA players than the Cavs do which is a joke.

10. BigBlue
    3:13 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cal may go on to coach Lebron one day…but Lebron is not going back to Cleveland ever…this is a pipe dream for the poor folks in Cleveland.

• schwing
      4:12 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

lebron would want to go back to cleveland because…?

11. Delk for 3
    3:14 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cal is not leaving — at least for one more season. He wouldn’t do that to the Harrison twins, WCS, etc., and he wouldn’t do it to his son, who he has only one more season to watch play high school. Is he really so selfish that he would not want to coach those kids and not want to watch his only son during his last HS season? I don’t believe so.

12. Say Tan
    3:16 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cleveland is the butthole of the North. NO ONE wants to live there

• schwing
      4:13 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

“this train is carrying jobs out of cleveland!”

• Johnny Manziel
      4:22 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cleveland is the next sexy. Me and Drake have put it on the map.

BTW, Drake says “so long suckers” to BBN–he and Cal already have the Cavs locker room decorated.

13. GrumpyOldDude
    3:21 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Cal WILL coach LeBron in the not-so-distant future…..when he replaces Coach K on the Olympic team.

14. arlo
    3:24 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

maybe it’s time for uk to throw some more $$$ cal’s way, just for good measure.

15. whodat
    3:25 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

maybe Cal was having some residuals from the pain meds and got the whole Johnny football think mixed up with the Cavs.

16. Dave
    3:27 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I’m blaming this on Cal. He’s the one stirring the pot.

• Old record still a spinning
      3:52 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Bingo we a winner, he likes to pester & poke when things get too quiet, just what he does, 😉

• CatSinceBirth
      7:34 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I couldn’t agree more. I really get tired of him doing this, but I think he does it just for the attention. I think the only reason Cleveland would hire him is if he brings Lebron along with him. Ain’t gonna happen in my opinion

17. paducahfan
    3:38 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

LJ says he’s sitting out next year because of Sterling.

• Michael F. Jox
      3:53 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

That’s easy to say right now. Wait till next season when Sterling could very well still be owner and see what Bron Bron has to say then.

18. bilbo
    3:53 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

I hate reading into quotes but him saying I’m not ready to leave Kentucky right now. That makes me question whether he will leave or not. I hope he stays for another 20

• Cats, Cats, Cats
      4:33 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

“Right now” are the words that caught my attention. Kind of answers the question of whether Cal is definitely planning on retiring at UK. He clearly states he would love to coach Lebron…………and Lebron isn’t coming to UK anytime soon.
      I don’t think Cal is going anywhere this year, but after this season, and with Brad graduatiing high school, there’s a real chance he may leave, imo. And I hate that thought.

• JCBlue22
      10:15 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

It would be unwise for Cal to leave before the next season, as this year’s team will arguably be the easiest he’s had it coaching wise at UK, since he finally has some experienced players to lead the team, and although expectations are high so are the odds of this team meeting and exceeding them. I believe, and its been said before, that Kentucky will either be Cal’s last or penultimate coaching job, and if it will ever be a good time for him to leave it would be in 2015. WCS, Dakari, the twins, and at least a couple freshman (probably Towns and Booker) will go to the draft, so the pressure to reload will be high. If Cal ever leaves Kentucky, the chances are we will see him go in 2015, which will of course will be unfortunate, but i’m not worried. If Cal leaves I also feel like it will be the biggest mistake of his career, but it won’t be hard for UK to hire another top tier coach.

19. Donald Sterling
    4:30 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Who’s LeBron James?

20. ukfaninohio
    8:17 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Wonder how many we would lose from this team if he left now?

21. Bone-thugs-n-harmony
    9:28 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Yall can kiss our ass ya hicks

22. Gilbert
    9:53 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

Nice typo. I’ve been seeing more and more lately on here

23. Dutch
    10:11 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

He can leave now and please don’t let the door hit him in the A–! This state has kissed his A– for all these years and if he wants to go, Cleveland would be only one place I’d suggest he go! Go now and let us go on with our life!

24. Dutch
    10:26 pm May 14, 2014 Permalink

By the way, does Labron need a damn coach anyway! I think my grandmother could sit on the bench and Labron would still be a superstar…..What could Cal teach him ? This is all bullshit!

25. ==== PIX2CLICK ====