Calipari talks Louisville, acknowledges how hard they play

A quick trip home for the Cats, a stretch of practices and 7 days are the only thing that separate the Cats from the highly anticipated game with Louisville next week. The game has been hyped since the moment Louisville won the title last year. The reigning champs vs. the #1 recruiting class. The match-up has only lost a little luster as both teams have hit a few early season struggles, Kentucky perhaps more so than Louisville. Instead of entering the game as two top ranked teams, Kentucky has fallen to #19 while Louisville has slipped to #6 in the AP poll.

John Calipari couldn’t avoid the questions about the upcoming game, and briefly addressed Louisville and the program Rick Pitino has built there. Calipari was asked whether or not he’s raised the level of both UK and UL since arriving at Kentucky. “No. I don’t coach at that school,” Calipari responded, before adding, “What he was doing at Louisville inspired us and me here. We better work. We better get after this.”

As for the game next week? Calipari has respect for how hard Louisville plays and hopes his team can match that intensity. “They play extremely hard. Way harder than we play.”

7 days, people. 7 days.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

46 Comments for Calipari talks Louisville, acknowledges how hard they play

1. JR Hopkins
    8:07 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

got damn these posts suck

• Ill
      8:57 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

+1. Google and Google plus are the future so might as well make the jump now

2. Syrin
    8:18 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

I predict we continue our trend and have less than 6 fast break points against Louisville while giving up 15-20 to them.

• Your Predictions
      8:22 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Your predictions are worth as much as your posts. Capish?

• Syrin
      12:01 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Your mom is worth as much as many tricks as she can turn per night, got it f’tard?

• Your Predictions
      10:11 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Come out and play you little weasel.

3. Ukfan
    8:34 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

I just don’t think we’re there yet guys.. Louisville wins

• Bunny
      11:17 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Agree. Just saw Louisville, on the road, take FIU apart limb by limb and then beat them with the wet ends in the 2nd half.

It might be a different story by March, but right now, Louisville is better than we are…

• CatsRus
      11:10 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Our team is still on trainer wheels. RP on the other hand tries to keep a good number of experienced players around. I focus on ‘Megatrez’ Harrell as a good model for Alex to follow. I can’t recall seeing a single UofL game where Harrell hasn’t hustled and gotten tough and tougher. But to his credit, Alex is doing better and he needs to if he wants make the NBA. My dream world would be UK and UofL scrimmaging each other daily and me being the one allowed to watch. Otherwise media forbidden.

4. Rick E
    8:43 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

I like the CATS! I like seeing Jarod Polson come in to settle them down. GO CATS!

• Bunny
      11:21 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

I also like Jarod but he is incapable of staying in front of any of Louisville’s guards and will be exposed on defense…

5. Snl1960
    9:05 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Frustrated.

6. chow
    9:21 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

this game will be a battle.hope these fresh fish show up!

7. lex fan
    9:23 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Uk will have a difficult time trying to stop Russdiculous, Chris Jones, and Terry Rozier. The fact that Polson had to come in against Belmont to guard their guards says a lot. Those much heralded twins clearly show how bad rankings can be sometimes.

8. scorpiocard
    9:27 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

“The match-up has only lost a little luster as both teams have hit a few early season struggles, Kentucky perhaps more so than Louisville”.

Ya think?

Where are Jeremy and all the others geniuses who called me an idiot for predicting BEFORE THE SEASON a CARDS win?

Game on you hype riders. Now its time to ball on the court…heh heh heh.

• red headed step child
      10:02 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Damn, didn’t know the game was already over.
      #BBN & Matt want to thank you for trolling. The “hits” are making Matt rich.

• scorpiocard
      10:24 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Well its not over, and I will say uk can and could win this game. I am sticking with my preseason and very rational pick of the CARDS. Of course there was a bunch of stupid talk before the seaon about 40-0 and how they would blow the national champions off of the court. So much for that…

As for Matt, he is the Rush Limbuagh of the blunatic fringe of uk sports, which is rather large. Rush damages the country, and intelligent political dialog. I don’t like that. Matt is the leader of a bunch of sports clowns. I have no problem with him making money. He sets you clowns up for me to get a good laugh most of the time. Good for him. Make money.

But unlike Matt, I actually attended uk.

• Blue To The Bone..
      11:31 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

SPC…WOW…Rush damages the country, and intelligent political dialog…Seriously?…Have you actually seen what YOUR president and party done in less than six yrs. to this country…Give me a fking break!!!

• scorpiocard
      1:57 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

My president??? He’s your president too. And what does he have to do with Rush?

9. Matt Jones
    9:36 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Don’t worry sheep. I will hype next year’s overrated group of freshmen.

10. Beavis
    9:38 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

invert our offense and let their 6 foot guards try and stop our 6’5″ guards under the basket. Another advantage to this,,,does anyone think Blowhannon can guard Alex or Julius out on the floor?

• scorpiocard
      9:43 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

HA HA HA!

Good call! BUT…Cal does not know that game. It’s the high post offense Denny ran for decades at U of L, posting up big guards down low.

One problem…his team has NO CLUE how to run that offense. Is WCS gonna run the high post and be a passing center like Pervis, Rodney etc? Good luck with that. LMFAO!

• Beavis
      8:37 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Yep,,,,what Crum ran for years. I repeat,,do think Smith and Rozier can guard the Harrisons under the basketball ? Don’t kid yourself,,,foul trouble for both. Blowhannon out on the floor,,,please. I will take Willie at the foul line on offense any day. In your haste to respond you failed to realize that my post was just a suggestion on how to beat the ReTards.

11. Cards got the Rhythm & We Got the Blues
    9:45 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Yes we are young and making progress slower than we hoped…but I do think we will continue progressing and will be formidable at tourney time. That said…the Cards I saw play 2 weeks ago are much quicker, tougher and distribute the ball much more effectively than we do. We continue to look listless, stuck in the mud, when running our offense (we lack crisp passing and we tend to run our offense with brute force and a prayer). Cards guards will make our guards look pedestrian and their bench is much bigger and deeper than I thought.. Hope I am wrong…Cards will win by at least 4 in Rupp…

12. 90% of UL fans in Louisville live in the projects and leech off the government
    10:33 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Hey UL trolls, be sure and check back in next Sat at roughly 6PM after we tap that a$$!

• 90% of UK fans or kissing cousins and hillbillies with no teeth in trailer parks
      12:29 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Russy for 3 hillbilly

13. UK>UofL
    10:52 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Okay I have never commented on here before, but come on people. Our Cats played pretty well today. Sure I know that Belmont wasn’t ranked, but they have one of the best X’s and O’s coaches in all of college basketball. They nearly always make the tourney with an automatic bid, and they did beat UNC on their home floor this year The same UNC that beat UK. I know Belmont hasn’t looked very good since beating UNC, but their starting point guard has been out too. If you noticed he was back for the UK game. I thought Belmont took it to the cats to start the game, they played hard and they were hitting everything they threw up, but the cats didn’t fold. Last years cats would have folded up the tents, but this squad didn’t. Instead they dug their heels in, manned up and gutted out a nice win. I thought the 2nd half was some of UK’s best basketball of the season. I am not taking anything away from UofL because I think they are a really good team, but all those teams they have looked so impressive against were trash. They are teams that this Belmont squad would beat by 20. Yeah, UofL plays harder than the cats, but the cats will adjust to the intensity. UofL doesn’t play harder than Mich St. or Baylor, or UNC, and yeah I know we lost all those games. My point is that our team has seen this level of competition before, but they have never been in the friendly confins of Rupp when they saw it, and I honestly don’t think this Louisville team has seen the level of talent they are going to face next Saturday. I know UofL’s guards have looked good, but they have done it against lesser talent, Saturday UK will have the most talented team on the court. Maybe I’m crazy, but I think UK has a shot at beating UofL, and a good shot at that, and I think that all of you so called UK fans are being a little tough on this young team. Give them a chance! How can you expect them to poor their guts out on the basketball court for us if their fans have already written them off in December? You people should be ashamed! I got an idea… how about we try supporting our team? Lets try picking them up instead of running them down! Lets see if maybe they just might start having more fun on the court if their fans stick behind them rather than trash talking about them. Like I said, maybe I am crazy, but I like this team. I think they are trying their best for us. Go Cats!!!

• scorpiocard
      11:16 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Nice post. I agree the cats do have a chance against the CARDS. A good one in fact.

But your point about the competition they have played is way off. That is this season…yes, but 80% of this team busted the Big East and won a national championship last season. They have beat teams that would mop up the floor with your cats. So there is that. But yes, uk does have a chance. They have talent and the home court.

• Mark
      8:23 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Great post #13. It is hard to tell fans from haters on here. That’s sad!

• catsRus
      12:52 pm December 22, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know if any UK fans have given up or not. I live a long way from Lex but I live and die with them. Folks, the Harrison twins are making huge improvements every game. Excellent at the dribble drive. Some say they don’t get steals and can’t stop Russ Smith. Here is how 6-5 guards can make up for it. Rebound. Give us possessions that way!! 6 for Aaron 2 for Andrew.
      How about those Folding Irish. I never saw such a flop. Credit Aaron Craft.
      I hate these comments about Trailer people as there are more trailers in Louisville than Lexington. If people can only afford that, its no reflection on their character. I can cite on example, a couple were attending college together and lived in a trailer to make ends meet. You should see where they live now!!
      Also, I hate to see the criticism made by such as Colin (Blowhard) Cowherd about having fans that are not graduates of a University of which they are fans. According to windbag this is somehow undesirable. I guess since I graduated from UK , I should never go to Georgia or Georgia Tech Games. Could I go to UK road games Colin? That comment burns me up. One of the most touching phone calls I ever heard on the radio was from some coal miners deep under the earth in Pike County. Supporting their Wildcats, ungrammatical for sure but heartfelt!!

14. UK>UofL
    11:28 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Scorpiocard, thank you, but I never said the Cards couldn’t pull off a win. They are a good team, and it will take a great game from the Cats to pull this one out, but the games you are referring to from last year were played with Siva at the helm. UofL doesn’t have Siva to stabilize them when things get tough on the road this year, and their young guards have yet to be tested against equal or greater talent. Russ has been tested, and is a great guard, but he is adjusting to not having Siva on the floor as well. That’s what I was referring to. The Cards haven’t seen a team outside of UNC with the size and talent that this UK team has. It will be a tough match up for both teams! Should be a lot of fun to watch!

• scorpiocard
      2:07 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Watch em blow by your guards like a dragster blows by a light pole. Watch em take their lunch money…then get back to me.

Randle? 10 fouls to give between Chane and Trez. Not to mention the guards swarming and swating at the ball. Rebounding scares me. That’s it.

If uk wins its because they got lucky and U of L psyches out and plays really bad. Not likely, but possible.

Maybe if Young goes off.

• truth = ur opinion
      10:54 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Chain? Only person on UL that can guard Randle is trez. Big trouble should he get in foul trouble. UL has superior back court but very suspect front line. UK needs to expose ULs 3 position. Wayne gets open shots bc UL is very good at moving the ball. Put them in the zone, Wayne can’t create his own shot, neither can Luke. Attack the 5. Van Treese = 5 fouls, nothing more.

15. Reality
    11:32 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Gonna take a miracle. I was hoping todays game would give me hope but it only gave more doubt. A week to prepare for Belmont and escaped AT HOME. Now the team is literally going on vacation until after Christmas. So that leaves Thursday and Friday to practice before the game. That’s funny. Meanwhile U of L is practicing all week. You can bet the farm on this one. They’ll just zone us and completely shut down our offense and their guards will continually beat us off the dribble. Even if we manage to keep the game close their experience will prevail in a tight game.

16. UK>UofL
    11:43 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

Escaped with a win? UK scored 92 points and won by solid double digits going away lol. What does it take to make you happy? This team isn’t perfect, but neither are the other teams we will play. People seem to forget that these other schools have basketball teams too. They recruited the best players they could get, and they practice playing, and oh my gosh, they actually want to beat this UK team! The audacity! Our team played well today. And they didn’t have a week to prepare, it was finals week so they were busy in the classroom this week, and as for Louisville practicing while UK takes a break, I think this team needs the break. Hopefully they can recharge their batteries and come back focused on getting better, then next week they really will have extra time to practice.

17. UK>UofL
    11:56 pm December 21, 2013 Permalink

*93 Points*

• BigTroubleLittleGuards
      12:50 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

I think the point he is making is that UL’s cupcake game on the road Cards won by 30. Our cupcake game is at home, and had to battle to win by 12. This game is a toss up, UL’s quickness and expierence, verses our talent and homecourt advantage.

18. carnifex
    2:30 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Wow! I have a hard time telling the UK fans from the UL fans. The UL fans hate on UK a little more than our own fans. Early in the year with an almost entire new team, Cal is going up against the defending champs, with most of their cheating squad returning, and its a push game in most peoples eyes. Sounds about right. UK will win, maybe by 20 points, maybe by 1. But maybe by 20. In either case, we’ll never be out of a game that Smith plays in. He can score off circus shots, but he doesn’t distribute, and he turns it over just as often as our freshmen, so to say he is all world is drinking the UL koolaid. (You can tell, it taste like like bird droppings)

19. musrat59
    4:00 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

I have no doubt whatsoever that the Cats will beat the stinking dirty birds.

• lex fan
      7:55 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

You’re talking about last years Russ. This years Russ has 60 assists/29 turnovers. That’s a 2-1 turnover ratio. This game might be close, but there is no way Uk can win by 20.

20. Mark
    6:25 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

CATS by 5

21. dshwildcats
    8:44 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

carnifex,

Good point, brother! Many of our fans are beginning to sound like Cardinal fans. Until Rick finally brought Louisville a NC (in his 12th year there), many Card fans, including our troll friend scorpiocard, were calling for his head! Many Card fans have issues with scorpiocard because of his past criticism of Rick.

A lot of our fellow Kentucky fans have the same problem as our neighbors to the west of us on I-64. They get caught up in all of the hype, and then when things don’t work out like they had hoped, they begin jumping off the bandwagon. Too many fans were overhyping this team long before they ever played a game. Now that things haven’t worked out as well as they thought, they’re the prophets of doom and gloom! Much like Cardinal Football fans. Their fans began hyping this football season immediately after the Sugar Bowl victory over Florida last January. They were going undefeated. They were going to dominate every opponent. They were going to be in the mix for the National Championship. None of those things happened. After their lone loss to UCF, many Card fans were calling for heads to roll, in particular their OC Shawn Watson. What is so funny is that, after all of the hyperbole coming into this season, Card fans are already talking about how they would roll through the ACC next season if Bridgewater were to surprise people and return for his senior year!

As for our troll friend scorpiocard, he is simply one of the biggest hypocrites you’ll ever come across. Last year (2012), he blasted Kentucky fans for showing their displeasure with the state of the football program by not attending the games. Just a few years earlier, scorpiocard led the charge on Courier-Journal discussion boards/forum for Cardinal fans to show their displeasure to Tom Jurich about Steve Kragthorpe and the state of the Cardinal Football program by staying away from Louisville home football games. Is he the pot, or kettle??

The guy is just on here to stir up trouble!

22. bigblue091812
    10:12 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

Well that disgrace in the oval office isn’t my president. But, for the UK – UL game, a lot of their fast break points come from rebounding, they will not out rebund us. Yes, they have more experience and play harder but how do you say they’re great when they’ve not played anyone. The 3 losses we’ve had will help in this game because we’ve played a much tougher schedule. Russ Smith can’t beat us by his self, if he scores 30 pts he’ll take 30 shots and we win. The GHETTO RATS go home with their second loss of the year, by only the second team they’ve played. FIU isn’t a top 100 team.

23. UK>UofL
    11:47 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think we wildcat fans are in a place to trash talk to the defending national champions, but I do think we have reason to be optimistic in this one. Yeah Louisville beats their cupcakes by 30 and UK won by 12 at home, but Belmont would also beat the teams Louisville has been playing by 20. Lets not forget that Belmont beat UNC at home, UNC beat Louisville soundly on a neutral court. UofL’s new guards have looked good, but not against legin NBA talent. We will see how it shakes out. Good luck to all!

24. UK>UofL
    11:49 am December 22, 2013 Permalink

*Legit*

25. bigblue091812
    1:05 pm December 22, 2013 Permalink

The teams Loserville has played has a combined record of 67-68, the teams UK has played has a combined record of 84-58. You can look good against cupcakes.