John Calipari tweeted the picture above, reminiscing that it was “just like old times” today with former assistant coach Orlando Antigua. Calipari had a lot to say on Twitter in response to today’s win:

“I can’t begin to tell you how happy I was to see the players I coached on the Dominican Republic Team today. Great guys. Ultimate competitors. And then seeing Orlando Antigua coaching against Kenny made me feel really good about what we try to do here, developing players and coaches. If it looked our energy was down a bit, it was. Took a little step back in our transition defense and a couple other areas, but nothing drastic. Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee were unbelievable today. Really great. And then when you talk about Alex Poythress, he’s coming into his own. This has to be the foundation for him to build toward greatness. Understand all these guys are doing this in 20 minutes. Just shows you don’t need 40 minutes to show who you are as a player.”

This is fun.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

9 Comments for Calipari talks about today’s game: “You don’t need 40 minutes to show who you are as a player”

1. OMGMattyG
    8:51 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

“You don’t need 40 minutes to show who you are as a player.”

Prepare yourselves, guys. We’re gonna hear this one over and over again for the next several months.

• Luther
      3:20 am August 16, 2014 Permalink

Based on his track record, I doubt that Cal will follow through on this. Even though anyone with a pulse can see that 12 players on this team can contribute, Cal will probably only play 7 or 8 ensuring that we never have this much depth again.

Hope I’m wrong and he regularly presses 94′ and find’s a role for all 12. If so, we would truly have a great chance at 40 – 0, baby…

2. Someone Has To Say It
    9:03 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Some coaches only need fifteen seconds.

3. Joe Dennison
    9:04 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Coach O was a BBN member and still is. Love the guy. Wish him all kinds of success at his new job.

4. Gowcats
    10:28 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

Wish the Cats were playing USF in Tampa this year instead of in Miami, but may still go see some USF games to support Coach O.

• arlo
      10:52 am August 16, 2014 Permalink

are you sure we play them this year? i don’t see that game on the schedule.

5. Mark
    10:50 pm August 15, 2014 Permalink

I don’t comment much anymore but this was really good. They had a challenge in this game. Really happy with what happened today. Badness

6. manlySmell
    2:48 am August 16, 2014 Permalink

Calipari is still building this monster.. Every year we are going to have intense depth…I like “You don’t need 40 minutes to show who you are as a player” as a nice transition from “succeed and proceed”

I love Pitino more than Cal buts it’s close now

7. Had to Be
    8:25 am August 16, 2014 Permalink

Coach O: ” I left and you now have probably the greatest basketball team to ever play college ball”

Cal: ” I know, my job is so easy I can just man the espn cameras and let my assistants stand the baseline”

Coach O: Slaps Knee “no kidding you joker”

Cal: ” have you ever heard of the poem foot prints in the sand?”