Calipari still saying one win can change things

Following Kentucky’s loss at Auburn earlier this week, John Calipari said he believes his team is only one win away from turning this whole thing around.

“I really believe if we win a game we’ll get going,” he said in his postgame press conference Wednesday night. “I’ve had teams in this kind of mode that we’re in, but the league was different, that we could go get a league game somewhere.”

He said more of the same in his Friday afternoon press conference when he repeated that sentiment, saying, “I really believe if we can win one, this thing starts changing for us, but you have to win one. There’s nobody going to give us anything.”

Cal’s point guard, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, is of the same belief. He said, “One win could put you on a roll just like how one loss could put you on a losing skid. I think once we get that one win we’ll be good and we’ll see what worked and I think this time we’ll continue it and we’ll go on a winning streak.”

Jarred Vanderbilt added more of the same before Friday’s practice, telling reporters, “I feel like right now we’re kind of in a slump, but I feel like that one win would just change the whole atmosphere and it would hopefully start a spark and a streak for us.”

Before we see if one win can flip the script, as Cal says it will, Kentucky will need to get that one win. And if Kentucky is going to get that one win, it needs to be Saturday afternoon in Rupp Arena against Alabama. Lose that one and it may be too late.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Calipari still saying one win can change things

1. luke_emberton
    4:49 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

yeah one win does end the losing streak it’s amazing how that works

• runningunnin.454
      6:04 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Very astute observation on your part; but, that’s not what they said. Their point was that a win could turn the season around and/or start a winning streak.

2. Parker_UKFanNC
    5:58 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

I can’t wait to see what our accomplished comment coaches will say about How Cal is wrong this time. Honestly though, I wonder how many of these fans actually played or coached basketball at even the high school level. Yes this team is more disconnected and struggling later than most Cal teams. Well we have 0 veteran leadership and every SEC team is way more experienced than us. These kids, cause most aren’t even 20 yet, are still used to HS where they could dominate, get calls, and not lose. They get down if they make a bad play or get pulled. On the other hand, every time we get a lead late in the game or seem to start pulling away, other SEC teams start playing harder and more determined. That’s a large part of why we have faltered in this losing streak. There are other glaring issues of course. The stupid self forced turnovers, standing around on offense and defense, and trying to make plays for themselves to name a few. However, I do agree with Cal that a win will spark something inside of these kids that could, emphasis on could, turn this season around. I’d like to think that the Hall of Fame coach with a national championship, 3 final fours, and only one failure to make the tourney, would know a lot more what he’s talking about than comment coaches. But hey, to each their own. Life is better thinking optimistically rather than negatively. I’ve done both and seen how being negative can tear apart a life. Ok now I’m not talking basketball anymore so have fun reading this I guess.

• runningunnin.454
      6:08 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Very good points; and, I enjoyed reading it.

• BigBlueNationDude
      9:08 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Cry baby. Cal has underacheived given the talent. He has become complacent here and thinks he can do no wrong(which some of you think).

• Parker_UKFanNC
      9:45 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Sorry that Mr. 15 seconds and his little partner in crime got kicked out. But then again what did he ever do?

3. Bull Filmer
    6:00 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

CAL’s a self-help guy; he’s the team coach, dad, psychologist, and guru. If this talented team does not win big against BAMA, it’s time to hire a sports psychologist – and I request CAL to hire a Priest from his parish to serve as team and bench spiritual leader. We can call him Father/Coach “Abe”. GO CATS!

• runningunnin.454
      6:11 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Couldn’t hurt…and Notre Dame has a priest on the bench; of course, it didn’t help much when Bonzie Colson went down with the injury.

4. Bull Filmer
    6:32 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

Yessir, and so did Rick Pitino during his glorious years leading KENTUCKY – and, believe this or not – when he was at uavel.

5. BigBlueNationDude
    9:07 pm February 16, 2018 Permalink

He is soo arrogant.

6. Jiminy Crickets
    10:53 am February 17, 2018 Permalink

What does it mean when our coach is saying “If we can win just one game”?