Calipari still hates conference tournaments

If there’s one thing that hasn’t changed about John Calipari since he arrived in Lexington, it’s his disdain for conference tournaments. After Kentucky’s loss to Florida, Calipari went on his annual rant about conference tournaments, telling reporters that he really doesn’t care when or who the Cats play in St. Louis.

“If we play on Thursday, it’s fine. I don’t really care. You know I can’t stand [conference] tournaments anyways. I’m not a big proponent of playing three or four days in a row at the end of the year. We already have a league champ, or we will have one. What are we doing this for? But that’s me. But our fans at Kentucky love this tournament. They love it. So, we go in and try to play as well as we can for our fans, but the only thing we’ll use this weekend for is to prepare us for the next weekend.”

“I’m not a big conference tournament guy. Never have been. I never was at UMass, never was at Memphis. The next tournament’s the real one.”

Video, from Curtis Burch:

It’s good to see some things never change.

[mobile_ad]

16 Comments for Calipari still hates conference tournaments

1. cats646
    4:25 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

I still hate losing.

• Look Out Fireworks
      8:29 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

I still hate Laettner

2. Headhurts
    5:07 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

Conference tourney will only help this team, if their not ready Cal may not have to worry about 3 games in a row, it may be one and done………….get it.

3. Headhurts
    5:14 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

I thought neutral site games were a good thing, this team needs this more than ever, disagree with coach

4. Skeps
    5:43 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

Why is he STILL whining about conference tournaments? It’s only for the stupid fans huh? How about it’s a resume builder that can help improve your seed? It’s been a part of the conference a long time before Cal got here. Believe it or not fans don’t only care about NCAA tournament. Regular season and conference tournament championships mean a lot to us.

• makeitstop
      7:11 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

I agree. I get that when u win the regular season it can only hurt ur seed but it provides everyone else a chance to win a championship, get single elimination experience and improve their seed. THE FANS LIKE IT. The people who pay the salaries. We’ve won it every other year, that’s a pretty damn good track record and frankly I’d hate to take this team to the ncaa in the shape they were today. UConn started their run in ‘14 with an improbable tourney win didn’t they? We actually need the games! And how much worse can our seed get? 6?

5. Skeps
    5:46 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

And for the other Kentucky “fans” who say we expect too much, you can blame it partly on your coach. He claims NCAA tournament is only thing that matters and you guys eat it up while you’re the ones who expected too much.

• Look Out Fireworks
      8:31 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

Correction. The NBA Draft is the only thing that matters to Cal.

6. nicky
    6:11 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

Instead of complaining about the SECT, he should be grateful he has more games to improve this team before the dance

7. Catlogic15
    6:30 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

But he can please Hami’s parents by playing him unlimited unproductive minutes so there’s that.

8. EdC
    7:15 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

We get it. It’s not the NBA draft so Calipari doesn’t care about it. Nothing to see here.

9. BigBlueNationDude
    8:22 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

And I still hate Cal. Woo

10. BigBlueNationDude
    8:23 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

The guy makes 8 mil and cries about working more. Fire him now please

11. G-Money
    9:30 pm March 3, 2018 Permalink

He can hate the conference tourney all he wants, but this team needs it. They were terrible today

12. backwaterd
    11:12 am March 4, 2018 Permalink

The SEC tournament will give us a chance to fine tune that “dribble drive offense”, and work on that “1 inbounds play”. C’mon Coach, it’s March!!!!