Calipari still believes this is a good shooting team

Outside of Nate Sestina, Kentucky’s shooting woes continued today. Sestina hit five of the Cats’ seven threes in the loss to Ohio State, while guards Tyrese Maxey and Immanuel Quickley were a combined 2-11 from beyond the arc. Afterwards, John Calipari once again said he believes this is a good shooting team and the problem is all mental.

“I’m not spending much time on it. We’re just taking a lot of shots. And we chart every shot. And at some point, you say, fall back on your training. You made 60 in five minutes. You made 67 in five minutes. You can’t make them when they’re wide open? But I think I’ve got a good shooting team. Thank goodness for Nate today.”

In the past five games, Maxey is 2-20 from the outside, Quickley 5-20. Calipari said he’s encouraging his guys to clear their minds before they shoot and fall back on their training. He claimed at yesterday’s practice, the team hit 50 threes.

“At one point I was trying to get them to just say one word in your mind when you go to shoot it. Straight. Straight. Straight. Because if you’re thinking straight you can’t think I’m going to miss this too. I’m missing this, oh my God. So you just, then that worked a little bit. And then I was like, well, if there’s another word that will make you feel good before you shoot, say that word. Maybe it was a high school team you got 40 against. “Saint Alysosis” and then shoot it. Because the mentality of shooting, you cannot be afraid if you miss one or two, then pass on the next three, because you kill your team. But if I miss five in a row I’m embarrassed. Excuse me? Get in the gym then. The one way is get in the gym and master your craft.”

“They’re like — and then — and it’s not just missing, it’s hard right. You hear what I’m saying? It’s not di, di, di. No, it’s, like boom, boom, zing. I mean that’s what it is. So I just think, again, the toughness of playing here, got to be tough, got to be a dog.”

10 Comments for Calipari still believes this is a good shooting team

1. runningunnin.454
    9:37 pm December 21, 2019 Permalink

Dee dee dee, dah dah dah boom chicka boom…huh?
    The problem is shot selection which comes from no movement on offense. MOVE, and make the opponent play defense. Drive into the paint, and kick it back out…don’t run over a defender.
    And, just maybe, Khalil, EJ, and Keion shouldn’t shoot past 8 feet…and someone tell Khalil to back up at the foul line.

• Bluehender
      10:26 am December 22, 2019 Permalink

rg, your comments are always spot on. This team doesn’t know what a good shot is. I agree with all the above points. Let’s see a big guy post up and demand the ball as well. I’ve seen Richards’ jump hook from 4-6 feet and when his feet are in the right position, it’s pretty much unstoppable and a thing of beauty. But yet we don’t practice it. I don’t get it. Also like your ideas about pressing in certain situations, particularly towards the end of the game last night. If Cal doesn’t know how to coach the press, he should hire an assistant who does. Go Cats!!!!

2. JT55
    9:41 pm December 21, 2019 Permalink

Can we trade coaches with OSU? Or replace Cal with him when he decides to leave.

3. notFromhere
    9:42 pm December 21, 2019 Permalink

What have we done with these guys as players that would make them think they CAN’T shoot it, when they could shoot it before they made it to campus? Why are they hesitating during their shooting motion? Why are thinking about shooting, when they should just be shooting, like Nate shot tonight?

I don’t get it, but that doesnt matter. We’re all glad I’m not the coach of any basketball team

4. Irish son
    9:50 pm December 21, 2019 Permalink

Hey Cal, I have a bridge to sell you….

• Fort Knox 1978
      8:20 am December 22, 2019 Permalink

Apparently he’s hoping to wish it into existence. I’m confused why anyone who checked out this class is surprised by this. Shooting was always going to be the problem with this class.

5. bluebew
    9:54 pm December 21, 2019 Permalink

Cal also still believes in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.

6. CrystalBall
    10:48 pm December 21, 2019 Permalink

Unfortunately, hitting 60 3’s in practice doesn’t count in regular games.

7. kjd
    11:29 pm December 21, 2019 Permalink

Good shooters don’t air ball when open.
    Maxey needs to shoot INSIDE of three line. Needs to stop and pop instead of charging.

• Bluehender
      10:31 am December 22, 2019 Permalink

How about an extra pass or two to someone who has their feet set and ready to shoot? And yes, stop and pop instead of running over someone, pretty good idea..or even stop and PASS…