Calipari Spoke Positively on Willis After The Loss

derek-willis

There were very few positive in yesterday’s loss to Auburn. Perhaps the biggest one was the improved play on both ends by Derek Willis. The junior was 4-10 from the field for 12 points and collected 12 boards for his first career double-double. The positive performance caught Cal’s eye in a hurricane of negativity. Here’s an excerpt from 24/7’s story on Willis.

“I was so happy for him,” Calipari said. “Rebounded with two hands. If you ask me, he moved by all the other bigs. That’s my opinion. But now he’s got to be consistent. But he rebounded and tried. I was just proud of him.”-

For the full article from 24/7 Sports, click here.

Article written by Trey Huntsman

The KSR Baseball guy. Follow me on Twitter @TreyHuntsmanSEC.

7 Comments for Calipari Spoke Positively on Willis After The Loss

1. snl1960
    11:23 am January 17, 2016 Permalink

Yes and next game , a start not only boosts his esteem but might get others attention. Just sayin

2. kyjohn
    12:02 pm January 17, 2016 Permalink

Maybe someone should introduce Cal to some of his bench warmers.Surely Humphries could make some kind of contribution.But he is not one Cal is targeting for the NBA,so the big 7 footer will continue to sit as we wach Poythress continue his Jeykle/Hyde act and Lee run around like a chicken with its’ head ct off.

• Bluebloodtoo
      10:54 am January 18, 2016 Permalink

I’m totally a Poythress supporter, but it just seems that there is some reason that he isn’t clicking in this role. Poythress seems to be a bit of a closed book. He has the power to make the choices that will get him into a lucrative NBA career, but something is making him choose other things. It’s all up to him. If he chooses to forego the NBA career and just graduate and move on, I’m totally in support of him doing that, but i hope that’s what he truly wants and he isn’t making these choices for some other reason.

3. psacatfan
    12:21 pm January 17, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. The bench should be a great motivator and if its not, they don’t deserve to be here and certainly not in the NBA. Our bigs are losing thousands and thousands of dollars in potential earnings. Maybe, they don’t believe that and that is a shame.

In reference to Derek Willis, he seems to play with his weight on his heels and it takes him an extra millisecond to move. He needs to be on up his toes readt to to move. IMHO

4. kfarr718
    2:57 pm January 17, 2016 Permalink

I just hope he shows up next game

5. Long Dong Silver
    7:18 pm January 17, 2016 Permalink

Well, we can’t really count it because it didn’t come against the ’96 Chicago Bulls. Right? That’s what some morons think.

6. Bluebloodtoo
    10:49 am January 18, 2016 Permalink

Totally agree. This is a great opportunity for Wills to excel and catapult himself into a solid role. It’s also exactly what his team needs from him right now. I’d love to see Willis snatch this opportunity and thrive and I’m betting most of the BBN would love it too.