Calipari scheduling meetings with players about the NBA

cal

The deadline to enter the NBA Draft is Sunday, and accordingly, John Calipari is scheduling meetings with the players who are still deciding whether to stay or go. Cal told ESPN’s Andy Katz that he’s meeting with Julius Randle today, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress this afternoon, and the Harrison Twins tomorrow.

Cal told Katz that he still doesn’t know what Randle will do, and “Dakari and Alex … don’t have to make the decision yet.”

Hopefully, they do and the news will start rolling in…

27 Comments for Calipari scheduling meetings with players about the NBA

1. Jack Nicklaus
    10:42 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Dang…what the heck is going on?! Everyone in this pic looks like they are watching a public flogging. Barnhart is pissed!

2. John
    10:46 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Ramon Harris and his “Fort Wayne Mad Ants” are in the D-league’s championship game!

3. John
    10:48 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

What do you guys think about this idea for reforming 1 and done, “Top 2 draft picks can be straight out of high school, picks 3-5 can be after one year of College, all other picks require 2 years of college.”

• technicolor yawn
      10:56 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

combine that with letting kids that don’t get drafted to still be able to go to school, and that’s not bad at all

• poppycat
      10:56 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

And who ranks the players in each case, me or you?

• memphis
      11:13 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

So what happens if the sure fire number one pick gets hurt training for the draft and falls to six? Suddenly they have to scramble to find a school that has an available scholarship in June?

• ukbradstith
      11:16 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

That seems like a big pile of mess. How about they have a 20 year old rule that everybody can just follow?

• nope
      11:21 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

If a GM drafts on need rather than talent, this system would screw some of the top prospects. It needs to be flat across the board. Anything else would end up in a different kind of court.

4. Bill Barnes
    11:00 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

I’m starting to think that Poythress is gone. I hate that because I feel like he is only leaving because he is concerned that he won’t get a lot of run next year or at least enough to raise his stock. He could really contribute if he stays.

• Mc
      11:11 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

I think AP may be waiting on the twins. If they leave, he’ll start at the 3. I think they’ll bring a 5th year senior in that can play G/F and back him up. If they both return, he’ll split minutes at the 3 with Booker, Aaron Harrison, and there could be instances that Lee or Lyles play the 3 if they’re able to guard a 3, as Towns can play on the perimeter on offense to space the court. We’ll see.

• UKBlue1!
      11:24 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

With Randle and Young leaving plenty of PT. I expect Alex to play anywhere from 5-10 more minutes a game next year. I expect to see a twin combo of Towns, Lee, WCS and if Johnson stays a lot next year.

• Mc
      11:39 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

The problem is that AP has the game of a 4, but should be a 3. The bulk of his minutes will come at the 3. The 4/5 spot total 80 minutes a game. Divide Lyles, Towns, Lee, WCS, and Johnson and you have a 16 minute a game average. Will this work? Lyles is too good and should get over 20 minutes a game. Towns and WCS should also get 20 minutes or so a game. That doesn’t leave many for Lee and Dakari. So then we ask, can Lee or Lyles guard a 3 since Towns can play the perimeter? Maybe they can. The 3 spot gets 40 minutes a game. If they do, Poythress will lose minutes. Also, Booker can shoot and he’ll get minutes at the 3. Plus, Ulis can ball. So there could be lineups of Ulis/Harrison/Harrison, and Ulis/Harrison/Booker.

If Poythress can get 20 minutes a game that’s not so bad.

• raccoon
      12:00 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

It isn’t just about getting minutes, it is what he does with them. We saw a lot of improvement with Poy this year, and if he can expand his offensive game next year, it won’t matter if he plays 20 minutes or 30 minutes, it will help him get into the first round.

I think that really it is going to be either Lee, Lyles or Dakari that ends up getting shorted on minutes. WCS is the best 5 and he’ll start and get minutes. Towns is too good and can shoot and therefore works better with any other 3/4 in the game. Lyles may be able to be a stretch 3, especially if Towns is as good on the perimeter as we thought. Also, don’t think Lee won’t be fighting for those minutes too.

I also think the effect of the Harrisons on Poythress will be minimal. It will cause Booker to take a few more minutes, not much, but a few. But I don’t see Cal putting in Ulis and Andrew Harrison together. What would the point of that be? Hawkins maybe, because of how good of a ball stopper he is. But I don’t see the advantage of Ulis and Andrew ever being in the game at the same time. I think that Ulis will be competing with Hawkins to get Polson-like minutes – basically just 7-8 minutes for when Andrew needs a rest.

We’ll see. It is a nice problem to have, but it does seem like if the Harrisons leave we’d be waaaaaay better in the front court than the back court. And if they come back we are stacked everywhere and will have 9-10 NBA draft picks on the team at least – maybe all of them first rounders. I wasn’t part of the 40-0 crowd last year and won’t be next year, but we will be near-consensus #1 and it won’t be (primarily) because of freshman who’ve never played a college game.

• Mc
      12:26 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I think Ulis is legit and will get 15-20 minutes a game if the twins return (if not closer to 30+ a game). The point of playing him and Andrew would be to get minutes. Similar to Bledsoe and Wall. You can play two pg’s at a time. I think Andrew’s game will allow this because at time’s he didn’t seem like a point guard to begin with. He was a point forward.

I think Hawkins is a nice defender. I also think Ulis will be able to guard some of these smaller guards. I also think it’s hard to keep a shooter off of the court, especially against a lot of zone. So Booker will get solid minutes.

We’ll see. I do agree, it’s not about the minutes, but how you use them. Especially at Kentucky. I think AP is waiting on the twins, but I think it’s likely he returns regardless. He is more at risk of losing minutes to Booker (ability to shoot) and Aaron Harrison (Ulis getting minutes) than having Lee or Lyles at the 3. That’s my opinion. We differ because I think Ulis is the real deal, and that Booker is too good of a shooter to not get minutes at the 3.

• raccoon
      1:23 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

I do think Ulis is really good. More than that I think he will be even better eventually. I’m just not sure he will be an immediate great player that will get big minutes on this stacked team. Look at Scottie Wilbekin at Florida. Similar undersized point guard. It is pretty uncommon for those guys to be great as freshmen unless they are unreal athletes (think Allen Iverson). I’m not scared of him starting if Andrew doesn’t come back or anything. It is just that on the whole I’m taking an experienced and let’s not forget extremely athletic Alex Poythress over a freshman, undersized guard.

Anyway, I do think you are correct about Lyles and Lee. Poy is the only true small forward in the front court. Based on that I think he will get minutes even if Lyles, Towns or Lee is a better player. I just don’t see two of those guys playing with WCS or Dakari very much. Maybe WCS, Towns and Lee could play together as then you’d have WCS’s athletic ability, Lee’s quickness and Towns’ outside shooting – almost like you have an aggregate small forward between the three of them. Also maybe there is a way we could do a zone with three of those guys. I don’t want Karl Towns chasing perimeter players around the court.

5. John
    11:00 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

This would be a compromise between the current 1 and done and what Adam Silver is proposing, 2 and thru, and compeltely different than what Mark Cuban is proposing. I think the compromise is that on draft night, give the option for the top two picks to select straight out of high school and picks 3-5 to go to those one year in school.
    Seems to be the obvious compromise. Somebody call Adam Silver!

• UKBlue1!
      11:28 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

The NBA is going to change it to college for 2 years or straight to D league for 2 years. To many teams getting burned with bad draft picks. Plus they are dealing with managing players that still need to grow up. NBA doesn’t give one rats ass about the NCAA or how they are hurting college basketball.

• Lol!
      11:35 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

How do you rank players, smarty pants?

6. Bill
    11:05 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Next years draft won’t be nearly as talented as this years. I would come back improve my game and go higher in the draft which would be what was best long-term. Anthony Bennett (last year’s #1 pick) wouldn’t even go top 5 in this draft. Top 5 taken will be Wiggins, Embiid, Randle, Parker, and Exum. I think if the twins go Aaron will be taken before Andrew.

• lonnieb
      11:38 am April 21, 2014 Permalink

Not trying to be rude. However under no circumstances will aaron go before andrew.
      Also, bennett probably would not be a top 15 pick this year in all reality

• raccoon
      12:11 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Andrew probably has more room to improve his draft position. NCAA game-winners aside, they shoot about the same and they can both attack the rim. But if Andrew can be a more effective distributor he can move up in a draft that like PGs. Aaron as a shooting guard will have a tough time getting further than mid-first round – nothing wrong with that, I just think Andrew has a higher draft ceiling.

Both guys need to work on perimeter defense. They will never be ultra-fast, they just won’t. They can get a little quicker, but better footwork would go a long way to make up for not being the quickest guards.

7. Dondontknow
    12:17 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

What is a better option? Getting drafted then sitting on an NBA bench for two to three years basically being a non factor player or playing for UK and vying for a National title?

• NKY_UK_fan
      12:26 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

$$$

• Kyleuk21
      12:29 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Don’t forget that sitting on an nba bench also includes nba practices and getting paid a large sum of money each year…not a bad option by any means…

• binarysolo
      2:06 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

Certainly not a bad deal to get paid millions sitting on the bench, but if you are riding the pine for the duration of your rookie contract chances are you’re not gonna be in the NBA when the contract runs out.

8. gazza90
    1:22 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

As much as I want them back, if the twins can get drafted 1st round, they will, and should, go pro. Im not sure what they do if Andrew is 1st rd and Aaron 2nd rd. Maybe Andrew goes and Aaron stays.

9. blueblue
    2:27 pm April 21, 2014 Permalink

And guys, don’t forget that if Poytrese stays, he will graduate with a degree next summer. I think that is very important in his decision. He will have an NBA career, but just how long will that career be?