Calipari says there’s a “drop dead” date Jamal Murray has to be on campus

murray-calipari

The story of the summer in college basketball has to be Jamal Murray. We knew the mysterious Murray was good after he dropped 30 in the Nike Hoop Summit, but I don’t think anybody thought he was this good. Murray’s performances in the Pan Am Games were good enough to put him in contention for the Canadian National Team that will compete in the FIBA Americas Championship from August 31-September 12.

The only problem? At some point, he has to get to Kentucky. John Calipari told The Sporting News’ Mike DeCourcy that he’s given Canadian Basketball officials a “drop-dead” date in which Murray has to be on UK’s campus if he wants to be eligible this season.

“We’ll see if there’s any way he can do both, because that’s what I want,” Calipari said. “The kid absolutely wants to play for the national team, and we want that. But the NCAA has really clear guidelines on this.

Murray’s father told Kyle Tucker the family is still trying to figure out what to do, whether it be skip the tournament completely, or play in part of it then arrive at Kentucky by the date given by the NCAA. Either way, he reassured fans Murray will get to campus.

“He’s going to Kentucky,” Roger Murray said. “That’s not the issue. The issue is just if we want to miss two weeks of school. We’re just trying to see how much time he’s going to miss, and if it’s too much, if he should just go to school and not worry about it. From what I’ve gathered, he has to (physically) be in class. So we’re just trying to see how much school he could miss and still play in the tournament.”

What a problem to have, right?

25 Comments for Calipari says there’s a “drop dead” date Jamal Murray has to be on campus

1. KevinM
    10:05 am July 30, 2015 Permalink

After reading this, I don’t expect him to play for Canada……There doesn’t sounds like wiggle room here.

2. LARRY M
    10:17 am July 30, 2015 Permalink

I hate to beat a dead horse over an over but the truth is still the truth: If Murray was going to Duke, the NCAA would bend over backwards to make some sort of rules adjustment to allow him to do both….you can bet on it!

• Trailer Trash Cat
      10:26 am July 30, 2015 Permalink

Spot on Larry, as always

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am July 30, 2015 Permalink

Not to mention that Coach K would be praised for placing a priority on the needs of his players.

• Disagree
      12:04 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

No way – let’s not reach that far. The rules are the rules and the NCAA isn’t giving Duke that kind of preferential treatment or bending rules in their favor.

(I’m as bent as anyone that they won last year’s title and have beat us on some recent recruits, but let’s stoop sounding like a jealous and envious little brother when it comes to Duke by asserting these kinds of things. This reeks of a KU fan commenting on a ESPN article about UK – we’re better than that)

• asdf
      12:09 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

@Disagree – You mean like refusing to move forward with an investigation of Corey Magette once they realized it would require implicating Coach K and stripping him and Duke of an entire season’s victories?

• J-Dub421
      12:21 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Don’t forget Lance Thomas, the Duke started on their 2010 title winning team who, while attending Duke, dropped $30,000 IN CASH on some custom jewelry, and was given the rest on $70,000 in credit that he didn’t pay off. No one would cooperate with the investigation, somehow the $70,000 was mysteriously paid off, and the whole situation was dropped and the NCAA just closed the case.

• Disagree
      1:07 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

I don’t know about any of this and don’t care to look in to it. But it reeks of hearsay and rumors and we sound like fans of an inferior program with a giant hard-on for Duke with this kind of stuff. We’re Kentucky and we’re second to none – act like it by not worrying about what anyone else is doing.

ANd don’t bother linking articles, I won’t read them.

Now get back to whining about Duke this, Duke that.

• Disagree
      1:13 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Question: If we beat Wisconsin and go on to beat Duke in the finals for the title, are we still asserting these things? Or is this all a function of being upset that Duke won last year’s title and not us?

• BAdams
      1:51 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Disagree, actually what they are saying is completely true, there’s no rumors to it so you must have been under a rock all these years or something.

• J-Dub421
      1:55 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

So you don’t know about these commonly known facts, refuse to educate yourself about them, and want to pretend that the NCAA is actually impartial. Whatever. And even if we had won the title last year, yes, I’d still care that the NCAA is a corrupt and inept institution.

• Disagree
      2:00 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Nope, not under a rock. Just not all caught up in Duke; especially 15 year old news about Corey Magette or whatever the other crap was about. I’m too busy swelling my chest as a proud UK fan and alumni rather than being all wrapped up in what Duke is up to.

Now get back to whining about Duke this, and Duke that.

• J-Dub421
      2:02 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Corey Maggette admitted in a sworn statement that he accepted money from his AAU coach Myron Piggie. He should have been ineligible to play at Duke, and they should have vacated a season. But, it’s Duke, so they got nothing. No penalties.

• Disagree
      2:08 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

I guess these facts are only commonly known by people consumed with Duke envy. And you’re exactly correct, I absolutely refuse to educate myself on 15 year old Corey Maggette news and whatever else that was. And your opinion that the NCAA is a corrupt institution is just that: your opinion. Keep caring, big boy. ANd keep screaming at people for using your terrible screen name. Whatever.

• J-Dub421
      2:20 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

I care about the incredible hypocrisy of the NCAA. And Lance Thomas was a starter on their team in 2010. That’s pretty recent. These are facts, not my opinion. The NCAA selectively enforces its rules, and I have a problem with that.

My screen name is my screen name. I don’t care if you like it or not.

You’re too stupid and lazy to read this, but here it is anyway. http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20290116/will-coach-k-duke-skate-again-yes-unless-the-heat-stays-on-blue-devils

There are plenty more articles where that came from.

• Disagree
      4:16 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Wow, you went with ‘stupid’? Very mature.

Do you sleep at night with all your ‘caring’ and ‘problems’ you have with the NCAA?

What year did you graduate from UK? Have you ever seen the inside of a class room on the UK campus?

YOur screen name is done, dude. I’m blowing it up. You’re gonna need to think of a new one.

• J-Dub421
      9:49 am July 31, 2015 Permalink

You are the fool is is willfully ignorant but still trying to argue with me on a topic you admittedly know absolutely nothing about. Also, you used the word “snatch” to refer to female genitalia, and now you’re accusing me of being immature???

You claim not to car, yet you keep arguing with me. I sleep just fine.

I graduated from UK in 2001. How about you?

Go ahead, try to troll with my screen name. You will get blocked like all the other trolls.

3. Dank
    11:20 am July 30, 2015 Permalink

Agreed that the NCAA would allow him unlimited time if he were playing for the sewer rat. Is there any word on whether the Normally Corrupt Athletic Association has cleared Skal?

4. meeksfor3
    12:56 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

If he went to UNC he wouldn’t have to “Physically be in class”.

5. Disagree
    2:07 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

• BurpinTurpin
      3:13 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

It’s known well enough to be written about by a national columnist for CBS Sports, and he’s not the only one to write about it. You are giving a self-admitted uneducated opinion.

6. Disagree
    4:00 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

More golf, more snatch, and less worrying about Duke.

Sound good?

7. Matt
    5:54 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

“So we’re just trying to see how much school he could miss and still play in the tournament.”

Yeah, “student athletes”.

8. AzubuikeandFitch
    6:40 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

Disagree I like where your head is at. Golf, snatch, and less mention of the other school in blue. You have priorities in line.

9. Dukefan
    10:23 pm July 31, 2015 Permalink

Duke was cleared for the Maggette incident because there was no way Duke could’ve known.

Lance’s mother is the GM at Ford. They got arab money

Sorry, even Cal doesn’t make you better than us!

like disagree tried to tell you. Keep looking “less than” whining about old ish. The rest of cbb could whine about those 1st few titles and wins when they came under cheating as well!