Calipari says that’s as good as Poythress has played

John Calipari was pleased overall by the play of his team, acknowledging that no one had a bad effort, which is “pretty impressive for only 10 practices.” Calipari couldn’t help but point out the play of junior Alex Poythress who finished with a near double-double. “He was terrific. That’s as good as he’s played.”

Poythress continued to garner praise from his coach, “The stuff he does, I can’t teach. He does stuff the normal players can’t do.”

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

15 Comments for Calipari says that’s as good as Poythress has played

1. Kevin C.
    3:36 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

10 and 6 ≠ “a near double-double”. 10 and 9, yes…10 and 8, maybe.

2. Hersheyisabear
    3:37 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Poy looked promising!

3. UK # 1
    3:38 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. k2da
    3:57 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Alex is just a different dude.
    He looks like the badest player on the court yet he plays like a JV player for long stretches.
    He’s a 4.0 Student yet he talks like he has a learning disability.
    A tale of Two Cities Alex!

• Ha!
      4:04 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

^^^^Says the guy who can’t spell “baddest”.

• bigbluetruth
      8:25 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Alex is very bright, some people get nervous when speaking to reporters. Go trash on your own TARDS troll.

5. Randy
    4:10 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

10 and 6 is very impressive for 22 minutes. The thing I like most about Alex is the offense does not have to go through him. I wonder which unit WCS will fit best with?

6. catdaddyd
    4:27 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Still one dribble and pick it up.

• Yep
      5:22 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Alex missed two wide open shots bad, and threw it away on an end bounds play. He looked very good at times though. Poythress did have a couple nice rebounds and a nice block. Willis looked GREAT!!! Willis plays smart, as does Ulis. And Willis can shoot, though he didn’t get a chance to show it in this game. Dakari is a beast on the boards, as is Marcus Lee. Go Big Blue!!!

• bigbluetruth
      8:30 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

I guess Alex is supposed to never make a mistake. He was the best player on the floor today. You remind me of fans talking in their seats (on their asses) like some expert. And when NjCat spoke of someone blowing past Andrew, sometimes a player is just faster. What I would look at is how many times did he blow past him, once sir so I’d say Andrews footwork has improved greatly. You know it alls is the main reason some kids don’t come here, I know I wouldn’t want someone 50 yrs old, fat and can see his shoes tell me I didn’t blow my nose correctly.

7. rick
    4:40 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Is that English?? nice subject heading

8. k2da
    5:25 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

@Ha!
    I guess that missing “d” is up your ASS!

• TonyDaTyger
      5:53 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Whoa. You really got ’em with that one.

9. NjCat
    5:43 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

Really impressed with Ulis. Played with so much confidence, and the kid knows how to play. He’s definitely going to help keep #5 sharp. Andrew had some nice plays but also was up to his old tricks, letting his man blow by him almost without effort. Gotta FIX that!

Willis also looked very good, as did Townes… Both have very well rounded games. It will be great watching them wear teams down because there is no way any of these guys sit on the bench all year. What in the world happens when Willy and Trey get healthy.

• Sam
      5:53 pm August 10, 2014 Permalink

I concur with all you say. Marcus Lee also looked great!!! He’s a major defender (alters and blocks shots) and a big time rebounder. You can’t teach his bounce and quickness. Jmo.