Calipari says Terrence Clarke has returned to practice, now scrimmaging

Kentucky freshman guard Terrence Clarke has returned to practice and is now scrimmaging with the team leading up to the SEC Tournament.

According to UK head coach John Calipari, the team doctors approved Clarke to move forward with practice last week, and they’ve been ramping things up with the 6-foot-7 guard ever since.

“I’ll let everybody know, the training staff and medical staff came to me about Terrence last week and I said, “If he can get through individual work, two days, without limping… And if he’s limping, I don’t care what you tell me, he’s not playing,”‘ Calipari said. “So he did and I said, “Okay, now we’re going to throw him into some of the scrimmaging. Does he pick us up or take us back? If he takes us back, he can’t be in right now.” So, he’s had a couple good days.”

As for his chances to play when the Wildcats take the floor in Nashville starting tomorrow, Calipari hinted that Clarke will be available, but it’s not a guarantee he gets minutes. He won’t change the rotation just to get the freshman guard back in the swing of things, but if they need him on the floor, they’ll give it a shot.

“The great thing for us and for him, one, he’s the first one on the floor, first one on the bus. He wants to do this for the team,” Calipari added. “He understands that he may not play a game. Maybe he does, but maybe he doesn’t. He wants to do it for the team. He understands he’s not going to make up — he hasn’t played since Christmas. He’s not going to make everything up. But if he gives us one more body, one more opportunity with a player. Say you go in and just look awful, well maybe it’s not your day? Let somebody else play. It’s all about advancing.”

No matter the case, Clarke is ready to help the team however he can, on or off the floor.

“It’s all about team for him. He said, “Whatever this team needs from me, I’m here. If I don’t play, I’m fine. If you want to put me in, fine, I’m ready to go,”‘ the UK head coach said. “Now, I’m not going to change the rotation of what we’re doing, but there may be a point that I say, “Let’s give him a shot. Let’s see how he’s doing.”‘

In seven games this season, Clarke has averaged 10.7 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.9 assists in 31.3 minutes per contest.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

22 Comments for Calipari says Terrence Clarke has returned to practice, now scrimmaging

1. millertim
    4:15 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Allen rolls his eyes…

• Bluehender
      4:17 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Yeah most likely he will get 2-3 of Allen’s 4 minutes…

2. Bluehender
    4:16 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

He doesn’t need to be messing up what chemistry we are starting to develop. He should get 2-3 minutes of Askew’s 17 minutes, or whatever he’s playing now.

• mashman 93
      7:13 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Agree Blue, don’t mess with the anything at this point.

3. ClutchCargo
    4:21 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

“…I’m not going to change my rotation, but he gives us one more body, one more opportunity with a player (if we need him).” I think that means just what it says, he’s just another guy on the bench who could come in if we get in bad foul trouble or something.

• millertim
      4:24 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Sounds like Cal-speak— which means it will be what ever Cal wants it to be — gives him “flexibility” to change the rules as he says he is allowed to do…lol

• ClutchCargo
      4:48 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Sure, he makes the rules and can change them. But I don’t see any reason why he would mess with the best TEAM we have had all season when it’s win or go home for good. The kid is almost certainly not in the kind of game shape to be a difference maker right now. But it’s good to just see him back on the practice court doing basketball activities.

4. mashman 93
    4:25 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

I don’t know about this, but if Cal thinks he can play then go for it. GO CATS!!!

• Bluenblood
      4:37 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

All for it he is a player but question his game shape. Pleeez stop the Allen narrative!!!!

5. itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
    4:28 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

“…And if he’s limping, I don’t care what you tell me, he’s not playing,”‘

This should prove that Cal has total control of the players when it comes to whether or not they will play regardless of what the doctors tell him.

• EdC
      5:43 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Why would it prove anything? A gigantic amount of the stuff he says is disproved and he often contradicts himself.

• ibescootch
      6:11 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

What in the world is your point?!

That Cal should be putting players in the game even if they’re limping? That he ignores doctors that say a player isn’t ready to play, by putting them in anyway, or that he ignores doctors who say a player IS ready to play, by leaving them on the bench?

How do you Cal-haters even keep all your conspiracy theories straight anymore? One week he hates kids from Kentucky but only takes them to appease KY fans, but then the next week he never listens to fans or ignores whatever they think he should do with the team, and then everyone is mad and says he doesn’t have a win-at-all-costs mentality and is just interested in getting players to the draft, but then they say certain kids who aren’t good enough need to just transfer because they shouldn’t even be at KY and they don’t want them back next year, but then the next week he’s pushing the worst players towards the draft no matter how bad they are, but he’s also resting the best players to save them for the draft, and on and on. It’s exhausting just trying to keep up with your terrible logic that changes constantly.

6. MississippiBlue
    4:41 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

I hate that he’s been injured most of the season. He’s one of the few players on our team who could create their own shot. It’s something we’ve missed all season. Also, with his athletic ability I wonder if could’ve become a defensive stopper. I know this may sound absurd to many, but think about the rate of progression from previous UK freshman.

7. JT55
    5:16 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

This is all smoke and mirrors to help his draft status. Nothing to see here.

• sprtphan
      5:30 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Similar to Vanderbilt.

8. Irish son
    6:31 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Who cares about this guy? What a joke

9. ThatsAShame
    6:56 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

A lot of these comments are probably
    same crowd that was saying “Clarke has packed it in”. Have to change to a different conspiracy theory now that he might be playing.
    (It would be great if you could look up a history of comments.)
    Either way… Go Cats!

• wakegupper
      7:03 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Irish son, you sir are an a**. This is a young man who was injured.

• ibescootch
      11:02 am March 11, 2021 Permalink

I’d say the great majority of Cal-haters are just miserable people who latch on to something they feel offended them personally, and then use it as an excuse at every turn to justify their hatred. Doesn’t really matter if one thing they said contradicts another, they’ll just continue to wallow in their hatred.

10. panicpat
    8:28 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

Who cares?

11. Mboro-kyfan
    10:41 pm March 10, 2021 Permalink

First they say he’s done for the season to protect his draft status. But now he’s saying hes coming back to protect his draft status??? Some of these comments blow my mind. I just hope that we’re good enough to make it to sunday and he can start playing bc this kid has the highest potential out of our players. We can beat bama Tuesday and if we do then we will win the championship, mark these words. Go Cats!

12. CatFanInLou
    11:49 am March 11, 2021 Permalink

If we are fortunate enough to play four games, we will need every body we can get. Winning that many games means we will be getting a lift from an unexpected source or two.