Calipari says Kentucky will lose eight players at the end of the season

Vandy-9694

This tidbit slipped through the cracks of all of the Selection Sunday madness, but after John Calipari was done calling Jay Bilas a Duke homer, he went on the SEC Network to talk about Kentucky’s draw, and at the very end of the interview, said he believes he will lose eight guys off this squad once the season is over.

“The issue we have is we gotta add news guys every year,” Cal said. “We’ll lose eight from this team. You hear what I said? And I’ll six or seven, eight for next year. And you won’t believe this, you’ve gotta have a warm up line. You can’t just lose eight and add three. Now you’ve got four guys in the warmup line. One of them is my son!”

So, let’s break down who those eight could be. Three are obvious:

3 Seniors Gone: Dominique Hawkins, Derek Willis, Mychal Mulder

hawkins_dominique_2016-17-cmyk willis_derek_2016-17-cmyk mulder_mychal_2016-17-cmyk

3 Freshmen Draft Locks: Malik Monk, De’Aaron Fox, Bam Adebayo

monk_malik_2016-17-cmyk fox_deaaron_2016-17-cmyk adebayo_bam_2016-17-cmyk

1 Sophomore Who Really, Really Wants to be in the NBA: Isaiah Briscoe

briscoe_isaiah_2016-17-cmyk

Isaiah may have slipped out of the latest Draft Express mock, but he apparently had promises from teams last year to draft him. If he gets a promise or his stock rises during the tournament, I’ll just tell you, he gone.

So, that begs the question, who else?

gabriel_wenyen_2016-17-cmyk Wenyen Gabriel?

Gabriel’s production has dropped from earlier this season and he’s now averaging 5.1 points and 5.3 rebounds in 19.1 minutes per game. Derek Willis took over the starting spot, but Wenyen still has his moments, most notably vs. Alabama in the SEC Tournament, where he showed more hustle than we’ve seen in weeks. I still believe Wenyen will have a game in the NCAA Tournament in which he’s a factor, ala Marcus Lee vs. Michigan during the 2014 run. While his numbers haven’t been huge, his frame and upside may be enough for a team to take a chance on him in the second round.

killeya-jones_sacha_2016-17-cmyk Sacha Killeya-Jones?

SKJ hasn’t played in a game since January 21, and with another stacked frontcourt coming in, will he choose to transfer and play somewhere else? According to his social media and an interview with Jerry Tipton, Sacha intends to “stick to the plan”:

STICK TO THE PLAN

A post shared by Sacha Killeya-Jones (@the_skj) on

So, who is the eighth player? Is somebody else considering a transfer, like Isaac Humphries or Tai Wynyard? Could Hamidou Diallo decide to pass on next season and go ahead and declare for the draft?

Or, did Calipari just throw a number out there without really thinking about it? Let’s hear it in the comments.

68 Comments for Calipari says Kentucky will lose eight players at the end of the season

1. Mathlete
    3:04 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Brad Calipari is going pro

2. az1006
    3:06 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think Gabriel leaves. He’s got WAY too much growing and improving to do, and is nowhere near ready. He likely wouldn’t even be drafted at this point, and was viewed by most scouts and experts as a 2-3 year player coming out of high school. I think it is one of two things: Either Cal just threw a number out there, or there’s a chance Humphries and/or Wynyard make the jump to play professionally at home.

• syrin23
      11:36 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Humphries isn’t a pro player. Undersized, not NBA quick, no jump shot at all.

3. DT in DC
    3:15 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I’ve never thought we’d actually see Hamidou Diallo play in a game at UK.

• unbridled
      4:19 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Agreed. I don’t think diallo ever intended to play and I’m pretty sure coach cal knew it. They will just have to load up with elite freshmen next year…as usual.

• timbo
      4:48 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Disagree. Why do you think both parties are liars? He would have more nba scout exposure playing where he was (in high school). You think they’re watching his pre-game? He’s even recruiting other kids. What benefit would Cal (or we of BBN) get from the relationship you described “unbridled”? Some people are just genetically prone to love conspiracies more than reality I suppose. At worst, Coach figured it would be 50/50 he enters the draft and had a scholarship spot this year. He’ll decide based on what’s best for him and he would with or without Cal, UK, or your theories. Sheesh.

• unbridled
      6:07 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t call them liars did I? What benefits? How about having his current players practice against an elite defender? How about turning out another lottery pick? You don’t think diallo is on many NBA scouts radar? Enis Kanter never played a game and BBN and cal alike still claim him when boasting of successful cats in the NBA. There are many upsides to having diallo on campus to prepare him for the NBA. If he is able to be drafted this year…he will go. Why wouldn’t he? Not much of a conspiracy is it? Sheesh.

4. WildWVCat
    3:17 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I look for one of the big guys to transfer a la Marcus Lee.

5. Sticky Ceiling
    3:19 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Brad is transferring to UPike.

6. MinnesotaCatFan
    3:24 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I firmly believe Diallo will play college next year. I think with how quiet Cal has been about SKJ that he’s the odd man out and will transfer. I really feel like if it was all about development Cal would have been more public with his support. I think the kid would have a lot to offer, but that’s just my $.02

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      3:28 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Sacha Killeya-Jones would be my guess if he hadn’t already said he was sticking to the plan…but once again, who knows? I am trying to take my mind off recruiting and next year’s depth chart and just enjoy this NCAA tournament.

• Han
      5:49 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

When it comes to SKJ or Diallo and what they’ve said, have we already forgotten what Lee’s brother said? That’d he’d either go pro or return to UK. Look how that worked out.

7. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    3:26 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I think he knows what he is saying. I don’t think he just throws numbers out there. That being said, I don’t know who he could be referring to as the 8th player.

8. wolfmans uncle
    3:28 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I can see 7 for sure (although Briscoe has very little chance to be an NBA player). Diallo is going to play in college so, the eighth must be a transfer.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      3:35 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I think there is a chance that an NBA team would love to draft Gabriel and develop him themselves.

9. Kernel Sanders
    3:31 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

“Or, did Calipari just throw a number out there without really thinking about it?”

You mean did he go all Trump on us??

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      3:34 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Troll

• Kernel Sanders
      4:44 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Lol, simply posting something YOU don’t agree with doesn’t make ME a troll. Sorry, Trump was the first thing that came to mind when Mrs. TT mentioned throwing out a number (or fact or accusation or insult) with no forethought or evidence.

• Han
      5:53 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Troll? Maybe if he’s just looking to upset people who don’t like the hear the truth.

People are perfectly welcome to like President Trump as a man or president. But the analogy is also fair since the President has time and again shown that he will make claims that are completely false, and when informed he’s wrong or lying, his defense is always “Well, someone told me that” or “I read it somewhere” or “People are saying it on twitter so who am I to disagree?” If you like his policies and behavior, fine. But you don’t need to look further than his own tweets to see times he outright contradicts himself or makes things up. That’s not biased news. That’s his own words.

• catsarerunnin
      5:56 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Yes Trump comes to mind regardless of any conversation or situation. And especially when I order Russian dressing for my salad.

• Luether
      7:00 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Rather you mean did he go all crooked Hillary on us??

• leon singleton
      7:28 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Cal sends players to the pros like democrats sends jobs to China.

• njcat54
      1:03 pm March 15, 2017 Permalink

Unions historically supported dems and hate free trade. It’s republicans who typically support a corporate agenda – which includes globalization and outsourcing.

10. TBW3011
    3:45 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Probably just threw out a number. If Diallo leaves that’s a major screw up by Cal. Hopefully that’s not the case though.

• unbridled
      4:24 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure coach cal knows exactly what diallo’s intentions are and if he leaves I don’t see how it would be a “screw up.”

• Han
      5:56 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I also think he’s just throwing a number out as I don’t think he’d include a transfer and I don’t think Gabriel, SKJ, Humphries or Wynward is ready to go pro.

But if Diallo leaves, it doesn’t hurt anything. We had an open scholly this year, he contributed in practices, and he apparently has improved from those practices himself. If he declares, sure, we maybe missed on a couple guys who wrote us off when he committed, but I would assume Cal’s always been prepared that it could happen. Cal will bring in more guys than he might prefer year after year because the Goodwin year put a sour taste in his mouth.

11. TreyTingle
    3:54 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Hopefully he just threw out a number. I don’t think Issac or Tai Wynyard transfers. SKJ? I have been curious of that all year long, but with that IG picture who knows. The obvious 6 we know the 3 seniors and Fox, Monk, and Bam. But I will be really disappointed if Briscoe leaves. Honestly, he is one breakout college year away from being a lottery pick. Right now, no one wants Briscoe. I would hate to see a good player like Briscoe waste his eligibility to try to force his way into the league. Two players specifically who could have helped an incoming team and helped out their draft stock by coming back one more year: Marquis Teague & Doron Lamb. We saw how that turned out for them on draft night. Word to the wise. STAY IN SCHOOL BRISCOE!!

• Willis Wolf Tattoo
      4:03 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

In Teague and Lamb’s defense it would be pretty tough to return to school after winning the championship if making the league was their ultimate goal. They accomplished their biggest collegiate goal.

12. Sentient Third Eye
    3:58 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

That number MUST be written in stone. After all, Coach doesn’t ever get hyperbolic, does he?

13. AGSlater
    4:12 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Its so ridiculous. Im so done with Cal wanting to send everyone pro even though some arent ready at all. We have proven busts, but ol cal says players first program and kicks em out the door. Why cant Cal recruit some 2-3 year guys mixed with just 1-2 one and dones a year. It would be a good mixture. Gabriel, Briscoe in the pros? lol

• Corder
      4:31 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

You mean like Hawkins, Willis, Humphries, and Wynard. Then he gets some kids like Gabriel and SKJ and you still complain because they weren’t great out of the gate. If he got 2-3 year players you would complain that we aren’t competing for a title every year. Give it up little guy.

• ClutchCargo
      4:34 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Intentionally recruiting mostly average players will get you an average team, just ask Tubby. I’ll pass and just let Cal do his thing, which has worked out extremely well.

• unbridled
      4:37 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Do you think before you post comments? You continually blather your drivel about coach cal and it’s mind numbingly stupid. His methods and coaching have a looooong list of proven success. You may not like how he does it…but make no mistake, it works. UL employs the system you are advocating…grow a line beard, iron your flat bill, and grab a bottle of crown. They need all the fans they can get and they will apparently take anyone. Even you.

• catsarerunnin
      5:58 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Slater the hater and the master debater..

14. AGSlater
    4:13 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Cal probably wasted Diallo because he is a stubborn mule

• catsarerunnin
      5:59 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Well better than a stubborn ass….

• AGSlater
      9:27 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

So your good with cal wasting talent and sitting him out for no reason if he goes pro?

• unbridled
      4:43 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Wasted talent? That’s funny. I thought you wanted “red shirt” 5 year players?

• catsarerunnin
      8:10 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Yes Slater I’m appalled….

15. Matteo
    4:16 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Cal always over exaggerates, I think it will be 6 probably 7

16. BlueDeuce
    4:24 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I’d like to see Briscoe stay one more year…if he improved as much as he has this year to the next year, he’d certainly be drafted (not saying first round for sure but he’d get drafted). He is a tough player and the league is a tough place…improve his shooting a bit more and tighten his handle up some and he’s drafted.

I’d like to see Bam stay another year too! His stock has dropped (since then he is playing better) and he is not a lottery pick at this point. Stay another year, improve, get stronger and be a lottery pick next year. That’s guaranteed money over late first round money where a team can wave you.

If you are a lottery pick or trending at the lottery, you have to go! Otherwise, stay and get better to move up in the draft. It’s one thing to get drafted, it’s another to stick! Hard to pass up money though!

As for the 8th player…gotta be a big guy or Cal was just throwing a # out there.

17. maximumscott
    4:26 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Diallo is probably gone

18. maximumscott
    4:26 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I think Diallo, after having played with these guards realizes he can play at their level and will go pro.

19. Jiminy Crickets
    4:29 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

with the new rules, every single player on the team will declare for the draft. It will be April before we know who is on the team. This is single area of the Cal era that severely disappoints me. Every year someone leaves that shouldn’t, or transfers due to fear of playing time. Some of it is theoretical opportunity, but more like pressure to not be the only one hanging around. We seem to be the only school that goes through this. No one else has mass exodus every year.

• Sheeeeeiiit
      12:32 pm March 15, 2017 Permalink

You made the best point then you ruined it by contradicting yourself. Cal is “selling” 8 because 8 should declare and go through the process but 3 will actually leave early of the younger guys. This is what Briscoe did last year and he will do it again, possibly returning. Matt makes it seem like he is leaving for sure but who knows.

20. Jiminy Crickets
    4:32 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I don’t care what Cal says, I have never thought Diallo would play a single game for UK. If he did and he was exposed, his stock would drop, and he got to come to UK, practice every day and exposed to scouts unlike any school in America.

21. donjohnson
    4:33 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I hate when people say they should stay in college and get better like they’re not going to get better just playing basketball everyday with nothing else going on. The development is so far superior when in the NBA pipeline then it is in college. If your a first round pick and you know your first round pick you go otherwise you stay. But for people like lamb mentioned above he was a short shooting guard that couldn’t jump he could just suit spot-up threes he peaked at UK period so it didn’t matter what year he left we could have selfishly wanted him to stay but he was always going to be a late second-round pick

• BlueDeuce
      4:45 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Well…sure that comment was directed at others and not just me (even though I said I wish they would stay and get better) but, I tend to agree with you. Hard to say you can improve as much in college when basketball is all you do once you declare and leave. My point is though, it doesn’t work out for everyone for one reason or another…talent, speed, height, shooting, team needs, whatever…but staying in school at least you are moving towards your goal of playing professionally and still attending school to have the safety net if things don’t work out.

Sure, they can always come back to school if things don’t workout but it is a lot easier when you aren’t married, don’t have kids or piled up debt! It is a life decision to go to the draft and odds are not good for making it unless you happen to be super talented. There are hundreds if not thousands of great basketball players who never “make it” in the league but could play in the league. They can play overseas sure…but the money isn’t like the NBA and you have to concern yourself with the safety of playing overseas today…plus the safety of your family.

I always say jump at the draft if you are a lottery pick or right there on the edge of the lottery. If you are late first round or second round…stay in school, get better, set yourself up for a couple options just in case basketball doesn’t workout for you. My 2 cents.

• Kernel Sanders
      4:53 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

The flip side is that no, you do not get to play every day as an NBA player unless you are in the playing rotation. NBA teams play about 4 days a week and pretty much travel the other 3. They do NOT have daily full practices. Heck, half the time if the 11th guy on an NBA bench is forced to play in a game due to injury or foul trouble, he is so out of shape he gets winded in 10 minutes. I do not think NBA is superior at all in developing players that do not yet belong there.

• RC
      4:55 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Some of us watch a lot of NBA basketball and we can recognize when a player like Briscoe or Archie Goodwin or Marquis Teague or Daniel Orton is going to struggle to stay in The Association. It doesn’t mean I want them to fail or hinder their financial future. It simply means I don’t think they’re ready to play in the NBA.

Briscoe won’t last in the NBA because he can’t shoot and he plays below the rim. Can he make good money playing overseas? Sure. Do I think he should stay at UK another year or two and help the Cats win games? Yes. Why rush to the next level when you’re not close to being ready?

Gabriel can probably survive in the NBA after another year at UK. But he’s not ready now. This team has 3 draftable players as of now- Fox, Monk and Bam. Dialo? I don’t know because I haven’t seen him play.

• unbridled
      4:45 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Rc, just curious as to how you felt about Skal last year?

• RC
      9:07 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

Skal- above avg. athlete for his size with really good shooting touch and range. Physically weak coming out of UK and very raw overall. Could have used more time at UK but financially he made the right choice.

I should have made this point clear earlier- the money is too good to pass up for most of these kids that I understand why they leave early. The money is stupid big and it skews the decision making process for a lot of kids. Skal lived in a shack in Haiti before coming to the US. There was no way he was staying in college more than one year. And I can’t fault him for that.

22. wildcatz4life
    4:38 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Has everyone forgotten this is Cal talking, and he is still trying to finish the deal with a few undecided kids? Cal saying “8” is just another way of saying, “Come to Kentucky, we have room for you!”

23. secrick
    4:38 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I don’t care what any of you say , i like what Cal is doing. Chance at at championship almost every year is all i can ask for. Keep doing the same thing you are doing coach.

24. Willis Wolf Tattoo
    4:47 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

Should be 6 leaving, 3 by default

25. BIG BLUE ASH
    4:51 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

6 players for sure are leaving, we know that for a fact and the other 2 are a mystery. He got 6 coming in for sure and maybe 2 more still deciding where they want to play. I don’t think Coach Cal would throw a number out there if he wasn’t sure who leaving.

26. plumloopy
    5:09 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

As a fan, I really need guys like Willis, Mulder, Hawkins on every team. I worry about Humphries after his PT has gone down this year. If I was giving him advice, I might honestly tell him to transfer. If he got 25-30 minutes a game I think he’d get a few DDs every year, certainly elsewhere.

27. Bobbum Man
    6:08 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

I don’t see why ban is a freshman draft lock seeing as he’s gone from a lottery pick to fringe of the first round. Now yes if he plays well in the tourney I’m sure he raises his stock a bit. But this is a guy who could easily be a lottery pick with some work, unless I missed him saying he’s going regardless I don’t see how he’s a lock

28. Harrelson55
    11:51 pm March 14, 2017 Permalink

No way Gabriel goes, he’s not on anybody’s mock draft. I bet Killeya transfers.

29. snarkster
    12:04 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

I think Isaiah wanted to goba dly last season and will go thes year despite he’s not much more ready (if at all). Gabriel would really thrive next year, IMO, but may decide the D League or Europe is a better option for family/financial reasons. I think SKJ returns, but would not be surprised if Hump or Wynyard transferred. My guess? Briscoe, Gabriel AND Wynyard go. If Gabriel & Briscoe do go, we get Knox & Bamba.

2017-18 Cats

Green
    Alexander
    Diallo
    Knox
    Vanderbilt
    Washington
    Richards
    Killeya-Jones
    Humphries
    Bamba
    (Probably a 5th yr. transfer or in-state guard as well)

If Gabriel stays Know goes elsewhere.

30. Belbivdivoe
    6:45 am March 15, 2017 Permalink

What Cal will do each March: Complain about seeding (though rightfully so) and place emphasis on players leaving the program.
    What Cal won’t do each March: Focus on winning the tournament with the team he still has.

31. njcat54
    1:28 pm March 15, 2017 Permalink

While I hope I’m wrong, I don’t see Cal ever winning another championship with his philosophy of only recruiting players who want to get to the league after one year in school. Why doesn’t he recruit good players who plan to stay in school for a couple years. I’d love to see players like Frank Mason, Justin Jackson, Josh Hart and Luke Kennard at Kentucky. These are all great players who will play in the NBA and have made great contributions beyond their freshman year.

His excuse that his philosophy is ‘player first’ blinds everyone to the fact that he cannot attract players like this. And taking credit for helping kids ‘reach their dreams’ is a smoke screen. One and done players go to the league regardless of which school they go to. Evidence- Ben Simmons and Markell’s Fultz.

Also, Cal is no longer attracting the ‘best of the best’. He used to get players like John Wall, Demarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis. Now top 5 players – truly exceptional talents – rarely come to U.K.