Calipari says he’s happy here and not moving on (again)

John Calipari doesn’t even take the night before his hip surgery off. Cal was in Louisville last night to receive the HELP Award for Philanthropy at the Grace at the Race at the Kentucky Center. WHAS11’s Renee Murphy was there and caught up with Cal, who once again said he’s not interested in the Lakers job, despite rumors to the contrary. Here’s what he’s said to Renee:

“I’m at Kentucky, it’s where I want to coach. I’ve got a great job. I’m not saying the Lakers job is not a great job. Pro jobs are different jobs. Obviously the Lakers, Chicago, New York…you know, those are…but, I’m happy here. I have no intention from moving from here.”

Cal also admitted he’s “scared to death” about his hip surgery today. You got this, Cal. And please, get some rest.

31 Comments for Calipari says he’s happy here and not moving on (again)

1. Jason Lium
    10:29 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

If I had this team http://straighthoops.com/one_and_not_done.html I wouldn’t be going anywhere neither – smart move by Cal to stay in Lexington – Lakers are a mess anyway

• theWilkman
      11:54 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

I’m not a blogger, but my advice would be to get a firm grasp on English grammar before constantly pimping your site.

2. blueinmemphis
    10:35 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

From a BBN nut in Memphis for 20+ years. Cal said these same things to Memphis before he left for UK. It means nothing. Now, UK is a better spot than Memphis, so we have less to fear than Memphis fans did, but still, coach-speak is coach-speak.

• Daizon
      11:22 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

I’ve seen his “confirmations” of staying in Memphis. And if you believed that then you had to be a fool (not saying you did). He never really said he wasn’t leaving avoiding strong statements of assurance, he couldn’t make eye contact, always looked uncomfortable. His direct responses here are a lot different then his dodgings in Memphis. You’re right that it could still be nothing, but I don’t think he is dodging the questions this time, he is staying (or just better at lying).

3. Reddington
    10:40 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Hypothetical….IF he were truly interested in hearing from them and/or going to the Lakers, what would people want and expect him to say when asked about it?

• Andy
      1:20 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

I would expect him not to go on a 3 day media tour denying interest and not to send out an unsolicited tweet as soon as the news of the coaching vacancy broke.

4. Common Sense
    10:41 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

“at the Grace at the Race at the Kentucky Center.” Dear lord, come on TT.

5. KevinM
    10:41 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

BBM, Cal’s comments don’t move me one way or another. It appears he wants to be here, and this gig is not as tough from what a pro coach goes through. It’s about whether he’s satisfied. When I read in his book how excited he was to be in his office overlooking his team at Craft, I was more convinced this is where he truly wants to be.

Good luck Cal on your hip surgery….you don’t take those things lightly and I’m sure he’s in great hands.

6. Marko in PA
    10:43 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Okay . . . let me get this straight. You just post a video where Cal says he is in Memphis to stay. We know that a few weeks later he takes the Kentucky job.

Now you post Cal saying, “I’m at UK to stay.” Did you mean to post these back to back?

Let me say, I hope he stays here for twenty more years . . . but I’m not sure that will happen.

7. Kumarcat
    10:51 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

He did say the same things before he left Memphis. I can’t blame him if he takes the Lakers job. It would be a mistake though. He would fail in LA. Just like Pitino did in Boston.

8. Coach K
    10:58 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

I openly talked with the Lakers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1834596), where Kobe begged me to come, and even coach NBA stars for the Olympics…. yet I remain at Duke.

Why does everyone think Cal will bounce just because they have an opening? Oh, “because he said that too when he coached at Memphis State” or whatever. Why don’t my boy Ol’ Roy W. go too?

• History
      11:15 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Calipari never coached at Memphis State. Larry Finch was the last coach there.

• Coach K
      11:19 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

/sarcasm font

• BigBlue1976
      1:25 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

History – Yes he did coach at Memphis State. Its the same school just renamed. Larry Finch was not the last coach to coach there. Only the last coach to be there while it was referred to as Memphis State. There is a difference.

9. Lcat
    11:07 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Laker offer is in his hands-10M yr-5 yrs and they pay for his hip surgery with round the clock nursing care from the laker cheer leaders.. He gone-who will be our next coach? Seth Greenberg!!!

• Coach K
      11:20 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Now, again in English!

• Daizon
      12:56 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

So they are going to make an unproven, even failed, NBA coach the highest paid coach in the league by 3 mil a year. Just…no.

10. bosshogg24
    11:11 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Why can’t we delete the Calipari haters? This should be a positive site, everybody likes to hate a winner be it Calipari or America’s Favorite Team!

11. RealUKFan
    11:13 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Coach Cal could be in for a very painful experience. Let us pray that his surgery goes well and his recovery time is short.

12. Card Fan
    11:30 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Dear sweet, lovable Baby Jesus,

Please let the Lakers put together the ultimate contract to pull Coach Cow out of the state. I cannot bear another year of being owned by our bitter rival, both on the recruiting trail and on the court. We have tried to make excuses, but he just keeps debunking them! I cannot stand to see the butt-hurt being suffered by my fellow #CardzFanz any longer.

Please, find it in your forgiving heart to make this happen.

Amen.

13. FearTheBrow
    11:36 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Well, not a complete denial, but about what any coach says. IF the Lakers call I would say any coach would listen. They are the equivalent of the Yankees in baseball, and you have to listen, any coach would. No matter what a coach says it is a lose-lose proposition. If he leaves the door open to go it sends the fan base into a tailspin, if he absolutely say no absolutely not under any circumstances then he becomes a liar if he does leave. I thought Cal handled it about as well as possible. Bottom line – no way to win.

14. Card Fan
    11:37 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

Dear dark Lord, Satan,

Beelzebub, let the Lakers put together the ultimate contract to pull Coach Cow out of the state. I cannot bear another year of being owned by our bitter rival, both on the recruiting trail and on the court. We have tried to make excuses, but he just keeps debunking them! I speak for all of #CardNation when I say we will happily offer our souls to you, Lucifer, All That Is Evil!!!

O! Destroyer, Apollyon, find it in your dark and tortured soul to make this happen.

Nema.

• wtf
      2:36 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

you are a sick man

15. Jordan
    11:39 am May 2, 2014 Permalink

The thing that makes me the happiest is he finally said the name “Kentucky”. He does usually say I wanna coach this team, and I’ll be back, and I’m gonna stay. I know he’s referring to UK, but I never actually hear him say, “I wanna be at Kentucky”. This time he did and I feel good about that.

16. Skeptical
    12:16 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

Why not say “I’m not interested in the Lakers job.”? Until Cal says, “No, I am not interested in any NBA job.”, I will remain skeptical.

17. whodat
    1:56 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

Frankly, his response there was much more tepid that I expected based on his previous tweet.

18. Cal
    3:36 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

If I were Cal and I were leaving. The list of things I would do is, recruit, hire an assistant Coach, gauge former players NBA prospects, and make surem 5 important cogs from a championship team came back for my successor, especially when they didn’t come back for him.

Haters quit trying! You claim Cal can’t coach then pray for him to leave because you are trembling in fear of him! You hate the way he recruits and you hate the way he coaches because he beats you! You want him to leave because you are afraid…

19. Some Guy in Kentucky
    7:59 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

If Coach Cal stays at UK 5 more years, he can retire from UK, and be a Kentucky U.S. Senator.

20. the burg
    8:39 pm May 2, 2014 Permalink

To the coach: Best wishes on your much deserved rest and recovery. To the fans: hang in there. Everyone else:… Crickets.