Humphries_Isaac_MBB_2015_10_eh

How many of you were surprised to see Isaac Humphries get so much playing time on Tuesday? The Australian big man was the second man off the bench for the Cats and played 12 minutes, which even he admitted was a surprise.

“My mentality was a little different this game because I was expecting to support, to be honest, from the bench,” Humphries said. “I wasn’t really nervous because I wasn’t expecting to play that much. Having that mentality really helped me because I went in, I was calm, and I was just like ‘I’ve gotta get this done.'”

Calipari was very pleased with how Isaac responded.

“Isaac was not at all intimidated by the situation, I thought he was fine,” Cal said. “I’ve had more calls about him. Like, man, I didn’t realize he was that good. He held his own.”

Isaac’s getting a lot of calls himself, from friends and family back home in Australia who watched the game.

“A lot of people watched the game back home,” he said. “It’s cool, but they don’t understand what it is because we have nothing like it in Australia. They just think it’s a little basketball game, but little did they know it was a very big game.”

Also big in Isaac’s development: weight loss. Cal said the big man has dropped some major pounds lately, so much so that he treated himself after a team dinner the other night.

“He’s lost weight. He laughs. He had some pie the other day. He said, ‘All the weight I’ve lost, I’m going to have a piece of pie.'”

Three words, Isaac:

10 Comments for Calipari says he’s getting more calls about Isaac Humphries than any other player

1. wjfren01
    3:16 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Good for the young man. Speaking of Aziz Ansari, anyone watch “Master of None” on Netflix? Nearly done and I’ve enjoyed it, to my surprise. Acting leaves much to be desired but the topics covered hit home in this day and age. Well done

• ibescootch
      3:42 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

I’ve really enjoyed it as well. I think that’s what happens when you have a bunch of comedians on a show. And his parents are his actual parents, not actors. Regardless, I’ve watched the whole season and will continue when it comes back.

• Dusten
      4:07 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

I love the show. The first couple episodes are alright, but the actors find themselves a little bit and the characters really fall into place and by the end of the season I was so sad it was over.

2. Bobbum Man
    3:23 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

I thought humphries looked great when we needed him, made some suprising big defensive plays too. Skal has looked soft in my opinion, let’s himself get pushed around. He needs to work on that as im sure he will or we’ll need humphries to really step up. Wish we had another true big, seems skal would make a heck of a 4

3. mcwillian
    3:31 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Solid Parks and Rec reference.

4. J-Dub421
    3:43 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Humphries impressed me, and he’s further along than I thought he would be at this point. Lots of potential there. Remember that we get to keep him for next year! 🙂

5. 2thepoint
    4:19 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Exactly, J-Dub, I was thinking the same thing during the game. A 17 year old holding or beating a 23 or 24 year old was great. We get him for two years and he is humble with all his other skills and hustle. I think it was Bilas remarking about the age difference. Beating Duke with our bigs in foul trouble the entire game should scare other opponents, because we won’t have those two white refs every game plus the inside guys will get better, much better. I didn’t include Tony Greene with the two white guys because Tony has improved greatly. A shout out to Lee for his hustle and improvement. He made a huge difference in the outcome of the game.

6. @BallBlog_Chad
    4:38 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

i was just saying the other day that he looked like he had really trimmed up and my buddy responded that he looks like he has no muscle tone … so i went back and looked at the combine results before the season and this dude had the fewest bench reps on the team … even less than Ulis, ha … do they not have gyms down under? glad to hear he’s working on his body

7. Jordan
    5:02 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Insanity. Only at Kentucky would he be getting this kind of publicity. Nobody would think about him at most other places. That’s what Cal and UK can do for ballplayers

8. 25OR624
    5:52 pm November 19, 2015 Permalink

Never gets old watching him block cry baby notorius wus Grayson Allen:

Can’t locate a video of him punishing the driving G-boy (wussman who pushes off immensely and in typical dook fashion knows precisely how to whiney-act and draw fouls as he did on Marcus Lee which was a non foul).

I abhor dook.