Calipari says he hasn’t seen Chris Mack video, focused on winning games

In what should come as a surprise to no one, UK head coach John Calipari says he hasn’t seen the viral video of Louisville head coach Chris Mack celebrating his team’s victory over Kentucky earlier in the season, nor does it concern him.

When asked about the video of Mack celebrating with former Louisville football star Eric Wood back on Dec. 26, Calipari said that while he appreciated the rival coach reaching out to apologize and clear the air on Sunday morning, he’s more worried about winning games and “growing” as a team.

“I appreciated (the phone call). I didn’t see any video,” Calipari said during his call-in radio show Monday evening. “Somebody said something to me, I said, “Really? I’m worried about a video? We’re trying to win games.” I’m trying to keep this team growing, get individuals to do it. So when he called me, it was short. I told him, “I’m fine.” We’re 90 miles apart, that makes it rough.

“I respect him as a coach. I appreciated that he called, but he really didn’t even have to.”

During a press conference previewing Louisville’s upcoming game against Notre Dame Monday afternoon, Mack said he “didn’t want (Calipari) to think it was some shot” and called the UK head coach immediately after realizing the private video originally intended for former Kentucky assistant coach Kenny Payne had gone public.

“The first thing I really thought of was Calipari,” Mack said. “I didn’t want him think it was some shot, that this was directed out to the worldwide web and I was trying to send a message to him, so that was the first person I called when I was aware of the video yesterday morning. I just wanted to be able to clear the air and tell him the great respect I have for him and his program and the job he’s done. And that’s how I feel. So I wanted him to know it was a joke to Kenny Payne and obviously it went sideways.”

As for his thoughts on the conversation and how Calipari received the message, Mack said the UK head coach was “gracious” and “understanding.”

“Gracious as always. He was understanding,” Mack said. “I think he understood the context. Any time I’ve ever dealt with Coach Calipari, he’s been great. He offered a few words of advice, which I’ll just keep between he and I but I was appreciative of his response.”

Not sure exchanging compliments and apologies was how we all envisioned this unfolding when the video first surfaced, but here we are.

Case dismissed.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

18 Comments for Calipari says he hasn’t seen Chris Mack video, focused on winning games

1. mashman 93
    7:47 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

Do we believe him?

• ReformedWestCoastCat
      9:04 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

Not for a second. He’ll get him when it counts and where it counts – on the recruiting trail and on the court. This year was an anomaly in every sense of the word.

• 2andToodleLoo
      10:18 am February 23, 2021 Permalink

There was a time when I thought Pitino was the biggest liar, BS’er, exaggerator in basketball. Man Cal is giving him a run for his money. Gas bag extraordinaire.

2. blueballs80
    7:51 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

They look and act like a bunch of college kids at a bar and these are adults.

3. UKgrad80
    8:01 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

That is a typical Calipari lie!

• MrFlip41129
      12:52 am February 23, 2021 Permalink

What’s th big ass deal!? So he might have seen the video. I’m sure you think Cal should be fired and Kentucky should have 4 year players..

• UKFanSC
      11:08 am February 23, 2021 Permalink

There is a subset of people on these boards who actually think we could do better than Cal as our head coach. Of course they are completely insane, but they still have access to keyboards.

4. DerBaron
    8:17 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

If they acted like this beating the worst UK team in almost a century imagine how they’ll act if they ever beat even just a decent UK team?

5. Swizzle
    8:27 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

They’re both liars, cal seen it and big bird took a shot at him.

6. JTHinton
    8:56 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

Lol! I stopped believing him when he acted like he hasn’t seen PJ on the day of the sweet sixteen

7. The Big Lebowski
    9:07 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

Whether he saw it or not. Whether it was a shot at Cal or not.

It’s nothing.

People get emotional over sports. Who’dathunkit!?!

8. 13th. Grade
    9:17 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

I don’t blame Mack for celebrating. He beat his biggest rival. It’s a shame someone leaked it. As for celebrating beating a bad UK team, if UofL was 0-20, I’d still celebrate beating them.

• StillBP
      7:59 am February 23, 2021 Permalink

Blame him…nah. Think it’s pathetic…yes. You’re a fan, you’ve (probably) hated Louisville forever, so beating them is fun. But as a coach, celebrating like this, getting all drunk and stupid over a 3pt win against your rival’s worst team in history is hilarious. Imagine Cal getting drunk and acting a fool over beating Louisville hahahahahaha. This is why they will always be little brother. Big brother expects to win, little is shocked when they do.

9. EdC
    9:34 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

Cal is probably just giving the guy a break. Mack celebrated with his team and feels stupid that it got out. In the grand scheme of UK basketball this is a non-event and Cal knows that.

10. dwhite
    10:32 pm February 22, 2021 Permalink

Part of the emotion of the rivalry. It’s fine.

11. millertim
    11:16 am February 23, 2021 Permalink

There’s NO WAY Cal hasn’t seen this video… using the excuse that he’s working 24-7 on the team, etc… doesn’t fit. Instead of denying he saw the video (few believe this) just admit you saw it and say it wasn’t a big deal and didn’t bother you… end of story!

12. bluecrowe
    3:38 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

How does Mack even have a job, much less as a head coach in the ACC?

13. waytolongcal
    1:22 am February 25, 2021 Permalink

Goodness gracious, quit distracting Cal, we know he is not a multi-tasker!
    Have to figure out how to win the tournament to go dancing! Go Cats