Calipari saw improvement in Kentucky’s win over VMI

They were lost in the Bubba Parham Show, but John Calipari noticed signs of improvement from his team in the 92-82 win over VMI. Obviously, perimeter defense could use some work, but all in all, Cal said he feels the team is taking baby steps forward after being embarrassed by Duke almost two weeks ago.

“We’re getting better. Oh, thank God. But I’ve had to go back to day one of training camp and start all over. So it’s, it took us three weeks, four weeks to get to where we were and now it’s going to probably take that long to get back to it, to where we need to be.”

Specifically, Cal said he was pleased with how his team played against VMI’s zone.

“That’s the first time we played against zone. We play against ourselves, but and we haven’t done it much, so I was pleased with that and again there was things I was pleased with, but we just, it’s, this is going to be a process and it’s not easy, it’s not easy for these kids, it’s not easy for our fans.”

Cal lamented about his team’s second half defensive breakdowns, which he attributed to fatigue, but liked how his team rebounded and protected the ball. Kentucky owned the boards 43-22 and committed only 11 turnovers, a noticeable drop from its season average of 15.6 coming in. Again, baby steps.

“I mean it’s what it is for us. But I do know this, we’re physically tough, we can rebound like crazy, I love the fact that we can throw it to the post. I love the fact that we’re an offensive rebounding team. I’m going to say it again, we should be a better three-point shooting team…But it’s — this is a process and that — I wish we could skip steps, I tried, how did that work? Doesn’t work. Now we’re back to where we need to be.”

[mobile_ad]

20 Comments for Calipari saw improvement in Kentucky’s win over VMI

1. KYCat4EVER
    3:13 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Hmmmmm! It’s kind of nice to have played Duke out of the gate! North Dakota and VMI are no Duke. I still don’t think we can really judge our CATS against these lesser teams, but there are some nice litmus tests around Christmas to see how MUCH WE HAVE IMPROVED! Until then, the verdict has not been delivered on IMPROVING…

2. binarysolo
    3:23 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

I feel like he says the same thing every year, how he overestimated the new guys and he has to get back to basics in practice. Cal’s been doing this for how long and he still gets duped by the athleticism he sees during summer pickup games?

• Jiminy Crickets
      3:34 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

You can copy and paste Cals post game interviews and use them every year he’s been here. He truly thinks the fans are stupid, and his “they run good stuff”, “we improved on some stuff” and “when you think they know, they dont know” seems to keep the fans happy.

• Papaw
      3:57 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Cal says the same thing every game every year. I really would love to know why he constantly screaming from tip to buzzer. If he can’t teach during practice how can he expect to teach them during a game in front of 23000 people?

• secrick
      4:20 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

The only improvement i saw was Green and he needs to start.Remember everyone has an opinion and that’s just mine.

3. versaillescorey
    4:23 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

How the hell can you people not appreciate what cal has done? Who else can do what he does?!!??!? Do you want Gillespie back? Do you want to recruit top 300 level guys and have them stay 4 years just to be knocked out of the tourney in the first round? You all are pathetic for ragging on cal! He is a great coach and person and deserves the credit he has done here!!! Hell he has they same record as the damn founder of this basketball school as Rupp!! Shut up with your non sense! He is a great coach and always willl be no matter what you bandwagon fans think. Eat it

• KYCat4EVER
      7:16 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Oh… I am so sorry! I really didn’t know Coach Cal had hung FIVE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP Banners from the RUPP Areana Rafters? Let’s see… Coach Cal won his very first National Championship in 2012… and his second National Championship was in 200????

Um! Me thinks VERSSAIL forgot the major emphasis and goal at UK was winning National Championships, not NBA Lottery Picks! ?

• catsarerunnin
      8:31 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Calm down Felicia.

• versaillescorey
      10:39 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Your an idiot, today isn’t as easy as it was back in the damn 50s. Players are better and the game has changed and to do what cal has done now surely compares to rupp. Come at me with some real stats and I’ll go toe to toe with you big dumb dumb. Try me!!??!??!!!!

4. KYFAN4LYFE
    5:03 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Herro needs to live in the gym, and only come out to go to class. PJ and RT have definitely picked it up, and Hagans getting 2 blocks yesterday….with Richards getting 0….is both encouraging and perplexing. Richards needs to get back to being a factor, even if all he does is get 10 rebs and a couple blocks.

5. BigBlue4Three
    5:52 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

If he saw improvement, he must have watched a different game than I did. But hey, he can always roll out the “we’re the 3rd youngest team in the country” schtick.

6. henderblue
    7:07 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

You said it right there at the end versaillescory…bandwagon fans. They’re the worst…

• KYCat4EVER
      7:19 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

And the “Sky is all rainbows, sunshine, and improvement” fans will sink our program to the depths of Indiana! So proud of our BBN and the high standards we have

• BigolBlue
      8:23 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

So true ky

• henderblue
      7:53 am November 20, 2018 Permalink

One bandwagon fan. And one not a fan at all..

7. VirginiaCat
    7:46 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Cal is paid millions and millions of dollars to field a top notch team. At that cost, it is not unreasonable to expects results.

8. BigolBlue
    8:23 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

Really? I was there and still think they are bad

9. versaillescorey
    10:42 pm November 19, 2018 Permalink

All I’m saying guys in when we are right there in the final four this year and competing for the title, don’t give me this BS that cal has lost his touch because he finds a way to keep us in it always!! In Cal I trust! Go Cats!!

10. CopenhagenCat
    6:48 pm November 20, 2018 Permalink

They still look lazy and showing no effort. I love my Cats but bust your ass and guard someone and dive on the floor for a ball. Show some effort! Giving up way to many baskets.